Food you can't or won't eat

I can eat chicken liver and gizzards when chopped up and made into dressings, but I really don't like animal liver from beef, pork, etc. I don't like the smell of it cooking, either.
I think some liver needs to be presoaked in milk or other liquids, to get the toxins out...
Remember my Grandma cooked chicken liver and hearts, with onions, it was really good back then, and cheap food.I just could not wrap my mind around eating the livers and hearts...off putting...now that I decide and budget, its off the menu.
But if anyone likes it, no problem, go for it.😊

It does. It's not cheap (other than possibly in Florida), but it's worth trying if you can find it. You can order this guy (a 19-24 pound whole alligator) for relatively cheap:

View attachment 61653
Extra Large Whole Alligator
I appreciate the good intentions, I might one day if I get omnivorous again...
However, this looks scary. I find the pig in the same pose and purpose scary too. It is just me.
A mini trauma: paternal side, village tradition, killing and butchering pig to prepare meat for winter etc...was 10 or 11 y old, heard the screams and fight of the animal, awful. Awful. I think I never went there again...
Wonder how come that is not 18+...anyways...
Thank you for being here and letting me share this. Feel lighter now.💙

I like just about anything, but that doesn't mean I want to prepare it. I can't bring myself to clean and cook squid, for example, even though I'm sure I'd love what I make from it.
Funny you mention squid..I was first introduced to squid while living in Italy..it was only available fresh and whole, so I learned to clean it if I wanted to eat it..it can get laborious but not a problem as far as unappetizing..like cleaning mussels..a bit of work but the anticipation and pay off is worth it..

I hear that cheek muscles are very tasty, but I can't seem to find a desire to eat anything from the head of an animal, nor the feet, nor the tails, with alligator or snake meat from the tails, being an exception.

Tastes like chicken... really.

CD
Alligator tastes like chicken with a fishy aftertaste to me. I'll pass. It's not cheap in Florida, maybe Louisiana.

Grouper cheeks are really nice, but very, very pricey and hard to find. When we spearfished and Craig would get a decent sized black grouper we always cut the cheeks out.

I've used pig's feet, but it was in a pork stock for soup dumplings. Lots of flavor and gelatinous substance in the feet.

Snails are quite good if you get a good brand. I like the White Toque brand that's imported from France. They come filled with a lovely garlicky compound butter and ready to pop in the oven. They were the most tender I've ever had.

Craig and I both are only able to eat an extremely small amount of fresh pineapple. Too much and we get blisters in our mouths. Canned is okay though.

I can't eat mangoes, except for 1 specific variety, honey mangoes. My lips and mouth go numb and tingly.

The only cheese I've never liked is Manchego cheese. It just tastes really bad to me.

I like just about anything, but that doesn't mean I want to prepare it. I can't bring myself to clean and cook squid, for example, even though I'm sure I'd love what I make from it.

I don't mind cleaning squid. It's fairly easy.

Learning to clean geoduck was an interesting experience to say the least, as was cleaning uni.

However, I DO NOT EVER want to clean conch again. A friend was nice enough to.give us a bunch of conch they had caught in the Bahamas once. I told Craig to say thanks, but no thanks if he ever offered again, or be prepared to do the cleaning himself. There's a reason it costs so much per pound.

Can't eat: pistachios, pine nuts, acorns, and probably cashews (the last is related to the first in this list). I am worried about chestnuts as they are related to acorns.
Can't eat: White "tuna", aka Escobar. Does the same thing to me as the aforementioned can't-eat tree nuts do.
Can't eat: fiddlehead ferns (sigh).
Hard to eat but they just sit around and knock at my stomach walls: nearly all commercial cookies, pastries, donuts. Most junk-style candy bars. The only commercial cookie I can eat more than one of, is Walker's Shortbread cookie - original type, only. Only ingredients: flour, butter, sugar. My system can handle that.
Won't eat, and possibly can't: hazelnuts in any shape, manner or form. I dislike them to begin with, and now with a somewhat selective tree nut sensitivity, i would severely hate and resent getting painfully sick on a nut I already despise.

Won't eat: Endangered species. Stinky tofu. 100 year old eggs. I will take at least a taste of nearly anything else - which is why I know acorns are off my table. Smoked silkworm cocoons are also a true NO, but I'm not sure whether this was because of the cocoon or the smoking agent. I am picky about how some foods are prepared - I don't mind carrots if the life force is cooked out of them, but I dislike them raw. (Parsnips are okay...) Liver, also, has to be make into a pate or something otherwise tasty. Not interested in milk or white chocolate. Definitely not interested in eating most dried fruits, and I don't want dates in any form or presentation. Cottage cheese needs to be COOKED into something.

Oh yeah, not eating tofu. I wouldn't even classify that as food.

I also don't really care for nuts cooked in anything, and except for some salads, I don't really like them other than on their own.

Can't eat: pistachios, pine nuts, acorns, and probably cashews (the last is related to the first in this list). I am worried about chestnuts as they are related to acorns.
Can't eat: White "tuna", aka Escobar. Does the same thing to me as the aforementioned can't-eat tree nuts do.
Can't eat: fiddlehead ferns (sigh).
Hard to eat but they just sit around and knock at my stomach walls: nearly all commercial cookies, pastries, donuts. Most junk-style candy bars. The only commercial cookie I can eat more than one of, is Walker's Shortbread cookie - original type, only. Only ingredients: flour, butter, sugar. My system can handle that.
Won't eat, and possibly can't: hazelnuts in any shape, manner or form. I dislike them to begin with, and now with a somewhat selective tree nut sensitivity, i would severely hate and resent getting painfully sick on a nut I already despise.

Won't eat: Endangered species. Stinky tofu. 100 year old eggs. I will take at least a taste of nearly anything else - which is why I know acorns are off my table. Smoked silkworm cocoons are also a true NO, but I'm not sure whether this was because of the cocoon or the smoking agent. I am picky about how some foods are prepared - I don't mind carrots if the life force is cooked out of them, but I dislike them raw. (Parsnips are okay...) Liver, also, has to be make into a pate or something otherwise tasty. Not interested in milk or white chocolate. Definitely not interested in eating most dried fruits, and I don't want dates in any form or presentation. Cottage cheese needs to be COOKED into something.
Oh that's just WAY too much work.

Yes. Cajun food includes alligator and it is good.

My recollection of gator tail from when I lived in cajun country is that it was more for tourists than locals. But, in more rural areas, it may have been more commonly eaten.

For a while, though I remember alligators being protected because too many were being killed for their hides.

CD

It does. It's not cheap (other than possibly in Florida), but it's worth trying if you can find it. You can order this guy (a 19-24 pound whole alligator) for relatively cheap:

View attachment 61653
Extra Large Whole Alligator

That's a little gator. We had them everywhere around Port Arthur (Texas), but you rarely saw them. They were in all the bayous, and the ship channels, and lakes. The golf course on Pleasure Island (Port Arthur) had them in the water hazards. But, gators generally stayed out of sight of humans. In the evening, you could sit by a bayou very quietly, and slowly see eyes and nostrils rise up out of the water. They are looking at you with suspicion, and you are looking at them for entertainment. :laugh:

CD

Alligator tastes like chicken with a fishy aftertaste to me. I'll pass. It's not cheap in Florida, maybe Louisiana.

Grouper cheeks are really nice, but very, very pricey and hard to find. When we spearfished and Craig would get a decent sized black grouper we always cut the cheeks out.

I've used pig's feet, but it was in a pork stock for soup dumplings. Lots of flavor and gelatinous substance in the feet.

Snails are quite good if you get a good brand. I like the White Toque brand that's imported from France. They come filled with a lovely garlicky compound butter and ready to pop in the oven. They were the most tender I've ever had.

Craig and I both are only able to eat an extremely small amount of fresh pineapple. Too much and we get blisters in our mouths. Canned is okay though.

I can't eat mangoes, except for 1 specific variety, honey mangoes. My lips and mouth go numb and tingly.

The only cheese I've never liked is Manchego cheese. It just tastes really bad to me.

My dad is allergic to mangoes -- and they had two mango trees in the backyard in Puerto Rico. He couldn't even touch them with his bare hands.

CD

Back
Top Bottom