Food you can't or won't eat

I can't really eat oysters. I want to - I think they look great, but the weird taste and smell makes them not want to go down, and if they do, they won't stay down.

Snails. That will be a nope. I have a phobia of gastropods when they're alive so certainly won't stick one in my mouth, even when it's cooked.

I eat and like pretty much everything: intestines, raw and cooked vegetables and legumes, sprouts, all fruit (raw, mature, dried or canned), plain milk (preferably low-lactose), ice cream, sour milk products, mild and stinky cheeses, cakes and baked goods, grains, nuts and kernels, seafood (oysters, squid, prawns, mussels,...), raw, cooked or smoked fish, snails, game, bacon etc. The only exception is quinoa which makes my stomach explode: the saponin in quinoa has an adverse effect in my guts (however long you rinse the tiny granules/seeds). Strong green tea has caused mild flushing and discomfort in the respiratory tract a couple of times (without stomach issues), so I don't have it often. Green tea contains saponin as well. RA may have something to do with an autoimmune response to certain types of saponins. Beans, lentils, oats etc. (also rich in saponins) are no problem.

Some preferences... I'm not extremely fond of certain types of fish or fish odour. Like many, I prefer pan-fried or breaded white fish fillets or meatier fish like smoked fish, tuna, salmon or rainbow trout. Tarragon/dragoon doesn't ring my bell but I've learned to love thyme which I disliked before. Although I like smoked food, sesame oil is a bit too smoky for my taste - and so are some barbeque sauces with smoke extract. What's the point in adding artificial smoke taste if you're going to smoke the meat anyway? 100 year old eggs, alligator meat, seal blubber/fat, scorpions, insects and snakes are among some things I've never tasted - and probably never will.

I don't mind cleaning squid. It's fairly easy.

Learning to clean geoduck was an interesting experience to say the least, as was cleaning uni.

However, I DO NOT EVER want to clean conch again. A friend was nice enough to.give us a bunch of conch they had caught in the Bahamas once. I told Craig to say thanks, but no thanks if he ever offered again, or be prepared to do the cleaning himself. There's a reason it costs so much per pound.

No problem cleaning squid. I have yet to try geoduck - haven't seen it while shopping, but I want to try it someday.

Conch? You clean those? I just rinse them off, in their shells, simmer them for however long their size indicates, then pull them out of their shells and eat. On the larger conches, there is an intestinal tract that is large - I cut around it post-cooking, and eat the rest. Not a big deal.

No problem cleaning squid. I have yet to try geoduck - haven't seen it while shopping, but I want to try it someday.

Conch? You clean those? I just rinse them off, in their shells, simmer them for however long their size indicates, then pull them out of their shells and eat. On the larger conches, there is an intestinal tract that is large - I cut around it post-cooking, and eat the rest. Not a big deal.
They have skin that needs to be removed/peeled off. Where are you getting conch in shells since it's illegal to.harvest queen conch in the U.S.?

Or are you talking about whelk? Different animal.

They have skin that needs to be removed/peeled off. Where are you getting conch in shells since it's illegal to.harvest queen conch in the U.S.?

Or are you talking about whelk? Different animal.

Usually whelk. We did get something sold as conch which we could eat, from a regular seafood vendor. This was back in the late 90s early 00s. I know it was that long ago because it was with Dad before he moved to Virginia.
I have to go check what a "queen conch" looks like on Google. I will remember the shells because I saved two or three of them as garden decor down in Connecticut.

Usually whelk. We did get something sold as conch which we could eat, from a regular seafood vendor. This was back in the late 90s early 00s. I know it was that long ago because it was with Dad before he moved to Virginia.
I have to go check what a "queen conch" looks like on Google. I will remember the shells because I saved two or three of them as garden decor down in Connecticut.
Queen conch sold from a seafood place is going to be cleaned already. The only time you will get uncleaned Queen conch is harvest it yourself or buy it directly from a fisherman or fishery in the Bahamas or 1 of the other islands.

Queen conch sold from a seafood place is going to be cleaned already. The only time you will get uncleaned Queen conch is harvest it yourself or buy it directly from a fisherman or fishery in the Bahamas or 1 of the other islands.
Well, this was still in the shell and alive, so the skin wasn't removed. It was another of the true conches, but not the Queen Conch, as my shells did not look quite like the images I've checked out. Bought in Connecticut - I haven't been to the Bahamas since the 80s.

Mostly what I do run into has been whelks which are often also termed conch, especially as squngilli in Italian salads. This day they were conches.

I eat and like pretty much everything: intestines, raw and cooked vegetables and legumes, sprouts, all fruit (raw, mature, dried or canned), plain milk (preferably low-lactose), ice cream, sour milk products, mild and stinky cheeses, cakes and baked goods, grains, nuts and kernels, seafood (oysters, squid, prawns, mussels,...),
I was about to say... intestines, no way...
But... I have eaten a lot of pork sausage. The better stuff isn't wrapped in artificial casing. And I do have a package of pig casing in my freezer I've yet to use, but is waiting for me to decide to break out the sausage maker attachment for my KitchenAid...

I'm enjoying reading about people eating things that would never occur to me to eat. :)
So glad you said this. At first, had no shade of an idea what those were...and looking at Google I thought, wow, these pretty decorative shells have a thing to be eaten? And are a pain to clean?
Oh ok.😎
The ones are not pretty at all, forgot which...but saved screenshots to investigate later.
I am not big on shells. Would rather pass.

But hey, I respect everyone's wishes and preferences.

So glad you said this. At first, had no shade of an idea what those were...and looking at Google I thought, wow, these pretty decorative shells have a thing to be eaten? And are a pain to clean?
Oh ok.😎
The ones are not pretty at all, forgot which...but saved screenshots to investigate later.
I am not big on shells. Would rather pass.

But hey, I respect everyone's wishes and preferences.
I'm enjoying reading about people eating things that would never occur to me to eat. :)

Nothing like conch fritters, cracked conch or conch ceviche. Discussing this is making me crave conch fritters in particular. Also, geoduck, but I think it's out of season.

Nothing like conch fritters, cracked conch or conch ceviche. Discussing this is making me crave conch fritters in particular. Also, geoduck, but I think it's out of season.
Wow. But of course why not! One has to be open to( new) ideas.

Geoduck, is confusing as a name, but is a transliteration of the local name...so that is fascinating...and how huge they can get...

Cracked conch?

Have to look what crack means in cooking...

That reminded me of a dinner I had with an acquaintance/ex coworker in Dubrovnik many y ago. She is a Dubrovnik native. The most southern coastal city of ours, very historic, very interesting and beautiful. But works and lives in Zagreb.

She had this naughty seductive look towards the serving staff, and she asked for 'prstaci' shells. Those are endangered, and are off menus, as it is prohibited to get them.

Don't know the English name, but found the Latin. Lithophaga lithophaga.

Back
Top Bottom