Food you can't or won't eat

We get croc here, I've served it in seafood cocktail.
Hate and won't everveat again tripe.

Russ

There was a restaurant in Shanghai which served crocodile meat. I cannot remember the name of it but I think there was another one in Hong Kong.

I never tried it.

Fried grasshoppers are a no-no for me....

View attachment 61741

And I cannot bring myself to eat roast rat....

View attachment 61740
Certainly noooo nooo for me either.
Remembered, kid and I and a friend of hers and his Mom went to a kids exhibition about snakes, lizards, bugs etc. Held at the Vet faculty here in Zagreb.

At the door, vet students were offering dried grasshoppers. In a bowl, like chips.
Her friend ate some and went back for more.
We did not.

And there was a documentary about frying grasshoppers in Africa. Many y ago. How they would use big lamps to attract, cardboard and barrels to collect, and deep fry, salt, local kids would eat them plentiful, like a treat really.

How does croc taste?
I am quite sure wouldn't eat it, just curious

I'm not sure how crocs would taste. They live in saltwater environments, while alligators live in fresh water marshes and bodies of water. I'm not sure how that would effect taste.

CD

I'm not sure how crocs would taste. They live in saltwater environments, while alligators live in fresh water marshes and bodies of water. I'm not sure how that would effect taste.

CD
Yeah, it is difficult to imagine...
It brings this picture of crocs lurking from rivers, documentaries pop in my mind...sure there are no river crocs?

Just googled, there are...river crocs...

The Nile croc...possibly others too...

Fried grasshoppers are a no-no for me....

And I cannot bring myself to eat roast rat....
I've already eaten cricket flour (the recipe for the muffins is on the site somewhere. SO I am looking forward to eating roasted crickets and/or grasshoppers.

Rats - I would really have to know from whence they came. Actual legal documentation and all.

Cracked conch?

The conch meat is pounded with the spiked end of a meat mallet or run thru a tenderizer machine, sometimes soaked in milk to tenderize the meat (it's quite tough on its own) then cut into strips, breaded and fried. You can also make conch steaks this way.

No bugs or rats for me either. Though I understand there is a Chinese dish of live newborn (hairless and pink) rats, thank you so much Dean Koontz for putting that in 1 of your books. I won't eat frog legs either, just can't bring myself to eat them. No squirrel either, though I would try farmed rabbit.

No bugs or rats for me either. Though I understand there is a Chinese dish of live newborn (hairless and pink) rats, thank you so much Dean Koontz for putting that in 1 of your books. I won't eat frog legs either, just can't bring myself to eat them. No squirrel either, though I would try farmed rabbit.

Nowt wrong wi rabbit! My dear old mum used to serve it regular.

Squirrel I've not eaten but would try it.

Any part of the frog I would be reluctant to eat. These are freshly skinned frogs at our town market.

031.jpg

I've already eaten cricket flour (the recipe for the muffins is on the site somewhere. SO I am looking forward to eating roasted crickets and/or grasshoppers.

Rats - I would really have to know from whence they came. Actual legal documentation and all.

They are unlikely to be sewer rats as we do not have sewers out here in the sticks (cesspits and septic tanks normally). Mostly they are from the paddy fields.

They can be quite large....

I'm enjoying reading about people eating things that would never occur to me to eat. :)
Same here. Different reason. I'm severely allergic to shellfish and have been rushed to the ER a couple of times due to secondary contact. I've never had anything other than the shrimp that first set off the reaction so it's always interesting to me to read what others eat and how they prepare their dishes with various shellfish.

They are unlikely to be sewer rats as we do not have sewers out here in the sticks (cesspits and septic tanks normally). Mostly they are from the paddy fields.

They can be quite large....

View attachment 61773
Louisiana's nutria have them beat in size (if that's an adult). I wouldn't be able to eat either, though some say nutria is pretty good meat.

Back
Top Bottom