French meat pie

joycemcgregor

Veteran
Local time
6:53 PM
We love savory pies at my house and we make chicken pot pie, beef pot pie often. But one of our favorites is French Meat Pie. We like it hot or cold, plain as it comes out of the oven or with a gravy over it,,, either on onion gravy or a gravy made with cream of mushroom soup. Here is the recipe I like to use:

Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup mashed potatoes
  • 2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
  • 1 egg, beaten, optional
Directions
  1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
  2. In a small bowl, combine potatoes and seasonings. Roll out half of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Fill with meat mixture.
  3. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with egg if desired. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.Yield: 8 servings.

I could have sworn someone posted this before! I remember it because I wondered why it was called French pie (not like anything French I've ever had, :happy:!) and that it had potatoes as well as a pastry crust. Goes off to search.... OK, searched (use the search box in the right hand corner, it works!). Here it is: Recipe French Meat Pie. It turns out it was you that posted it! No matter. I suppose I ought to have a go at making it!

That looks yummy. It is your basic savory pie, we all like. Honestly, it looks like something that would be good to eat. My granny used to make things like that. I have not attempted them though. I am a bit chicken. Anything, that looks like too much work, I shy away from.

I'm french Canadian and we call it "tourtiere" and you're right, it's so good. I've never made it myself so I'm not sure if my family's recipe is exactly the same but pretty similar I'd say.

I'd love to be able to make pies of any kind, however I have problems with making a decent crust. They never come out very well for me and it's so frustrating. This may be a blessing in disguise since I'd probably make pies all the time.

Back
Top Bottom