Recipe Fresh Artichoke Risotto

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
1:44 AM
We always try to have something special for lunch on Sundays, if only to all sit down together and enjoy a weekly glass of wine. On Saturday, I found some beautiful artichokes in the supermarket; not gigantic monsters (because I don´t think they taste of anything), just medium-sized and shiny fresh. The hearts were sweet, nutty and delicious.
Ingredients: (serves 3-4)
8 fresh artichokes
2 tbsps red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4-6 rashers of streaky bacon, diced
2 tbsps flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 lts ( aprox) vegetable stock
200 gms Carnaroli or Arborio rice
2 tbsps fresh cream
2 tbsps Parmigiano reggiano
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil or butter
Method:
  1. Wash the artichokes. Place a bowl of water on your workspace and add the juice of half a lemon (this is so the hearts don´t turn black when peeled).
  2. Remove the stems, if any, cut off the bottom part and peel. Place in the bowl.
  3. Snap off the leaves, discarding any small or damaged ones, until you reach the tough, purplish leaves in the centre. Reserve the leaves for another day - steamed, with butter and lemon, maybe.
  4. Cut off the purple leaves with a sharp knife to expose the heart. Remove the choke with a melon baller or a teaspoon, and trim off the green parts of the heart with a sharp knife. Rub with lemon and place in the bowl with the acidulated water. Do all the artichokes this way. Now slice the hearts into thinnish strips and return to the bowl.
  5. In a large pan, heat up the oil (or butter) and add the onion, garlic and bacon. Sauté until the onion is soft and the bacon begins to crisp a little.
  6. Now add the (drained) artichoke slices and cook through for 2-3 minutes.
  7. Add the rice, stir to mix, then begin adding the hot stock, little by little. Stir, stir, stir, so the rice absorbs the stock and begins to lose is starch. When the rice has absorbed the stock, add more, little by little, stir, stir, stir. Season with salt and pepper.
  8. When the risotto is almost done, add the cream and parmesan. Cook for a little longer until creamy and al dente. Stir in the parsley and serve immediately.
I´m probably preaching to the converted, but risotto is NOT a dish you can just leave on the stove to cook; you have to be there all the time.
You could easily make a vegetarian version by omitting the bacon, or a vegan version by using vegan parmesan and omitting the bacon
and cream, using only olive oil in stage (5). Buon apetito

!

Last edited by a moderator:
Globe artichokes rank in my top favourite vegetables and although risotto is not a favourite thing with me this recipe sounds lovely.

Some might say that adding cream to risotto is sacrilege! I'm saying nothing.

Back
Top Bottom