2 aubergines, cut into 1cm round slices
vegetable or rapeseed oil, for deep-frying
a pinch of saffron
250ml sparkling water
a splash of malt vinegar
200g plain flour
4 tbsp Cornish honey

Method
  • Liberally sprinkle the aubergine slices with coarse sea salt and leave to stand for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oil to 180C.
  • Add the saffron to the sparkling water and leave to stand for a couple of minutes. Whisk the infused water and vinegar into the flour until smooth.
  • Season with a touch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  • Pat the aubergine slices dry with kitchen paper and lightly coat in the saffron batter. Deep-fry for 2-3 minutes, turning halfway through, then drain and season with coarse salt. Serve drizzled with Cornish honey.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/11755317/Fried-aubergine-with-honey-recipe.html

Sounds good. I like the idea of the saffron batter. This one I can try tomorrow as I have all ingredients. Well, except specifically Cornish honey.... but I'm sure that isn't crucial. Its only Cornish 'cos the bloke whose recipe it is, runs a cafe in Cornwall.

I don't have any Cornish honey, but I do have some honey that comes from my neighbouring village in Fife. Saffron always makes me think of the Arlo Guthrie song, Old Time Religion:

Hare Krishna, he would laugh on
To see me dressed in saffron,
With my hair that's only half on
And that's good enough for me.

Is the sparkling water meant to make the aubergine crispy? Patting them dry will help I know. Can I use a regular vinegar instead of the malt one? Does it make it any better though? I will definitely try your recipe

Is the sparkling water meant to make the aubergine crispy?
The sparkling water goes into the batter that is coating the aubergine. This will make the batter lighter, have air bubbles in it and generally be less fatty and heavy. It is no different (except for flavour) to using beer or for that matter water and bicarbonate of soda which would also add a fizz to the batter.

This looks like a unique recipe. But I am willing to try this just for taste because honey is good on food aside from being a healthy ingredient. The only dish I know using aubergine is what we call relleno - actually an omelet that has the aubergine as the base and cooked ground beef for the toppings. It is a dish enjoyed by the adults but not by the children. The dip is soy sauce with lemon drops. Back to that honey aubergine, I may not include saffron because no one here likes the odor of that.

The sparkling water goes into the batter that is coating the aubergine. This will make the batter lighter, have air bubbles in it and generally be less fatty and heavy. It is no different (except for flavour) to using beer* or for that matter water and bicarbonate of soda which would also add a fizz to the batter.
*Guinness?

The sparkling water goes into the batter that is coating the aubergine. This will make the batter lighter, have air bubbles in it and generally be less fatty and heavy.

I see, that is one good tip that I will remember thanks. When I see beer on batter or anything effervescent added I tend to think that is for added flavor or maybe make the consistency of the batter thicker but I was wrong. So, indeed there is a real nice purpose for anything light and airy or bubbly added to the batter.

Sounds good. I like the idea of the saffron batter. This one I can try tomorrow as I have all ingredients. Well, except specifically Cornish honey.... but I'm sure that isn't crucial. Its only Cornish 'cos the bloke whose recipe it is, runs a cafe in Cornwall.

It does sound good and I like the saffron and the colour it gives to the aubergine. Maybe disguised as sometime else the folks here would eat it. It's tomorrow Morning Glory. Are you going to try it after all?

It does sound good and I like the saffron and the colour it gives to the aubergine. Maybe disguised as sometime else the folks here would eat it. It's tomorrow Morning Glory. Are you going to try it after all?
Tried and tested. Verdict from son 'you can do that one again!'. But, like me he preferred it without honey but with a chilli dipping sauce.

I think that recipe is really something different, and I would be willing to try it, but I would need a good recipie convesion site. Also, I would need to improvise on some of the ingredients. I just found out what an aubergine was, thanks to SatNav!

I think that recipe is really something different, and I would be willing to try it, but I would need a good recipie convesion site. Also, I would need to improvise on some of the ingredients. I just found out what an aubergine was, thanks to SatNav!
Not read Morning Glorys' piece!

Back
Top Bottom