Fried Bologna Sandwiches

Pretty sure it's the same thing. Chipped / chip chop ham sandwiches were a staple of my brown bag elementary school lunch.

Deli Products – Isalys

I didn't live in Pittsburgh long, but I don't remember "Chipped Chopped Ham." I have had chopped ham, and it seems to be a "pig parts" loaf of meat, to me. My parents always bought Boiled Ham -- bland but actual ham. I like Boar's Head Black Forrest Ham. Kroger's Private Selection Black Forrest Ham is good, too (and a little cheaper).

Sadly, Ham and most deli meats are something I can only have sparingly, because they are loaded with sodium.

CD

Yep, Mom bought chopped ham when I was a kid, I always liked it, but I haven't had it in years. They still keep a giant platter of it out in the deli case at Kroger.

Wikipedia says Britain has bologna, known there as polony - Morning Glory, do you know what that is, and can you fry some up with a little mustard...with a fried egg on it? :)

Wikipedia says Britain has bologna, known there as polony - Morning Glory, do you know what that is, and can you fry some up with a little mustard...with a fried egg on it? :)

Never had it. A search of my usual on line supermarket reveals they do sell it and its very cheap (60p) (75 cents). I suppose its not the sort of thing I'd buy as its cheap reformed pork, much like Spam as far as I can see. I do have some Spam - sent to me because I won it (along with other stuff) when I won the Spam recipe competition. The main difference seems to be its smoother in texture than Spam.

I don't have a delivery until next weekend (can't add to this weeks delivery as its too late). Given its so cheap I'll add it to next weekends order. Partner will no doubt eat it.

Here is a UK recipe from the 1600's

First, Bolonia Sausages.
The best way and time of the year is to make them in September .

Take four stone of pork, of the legs the leanest, and take away all the skins, sinews, and fat from it; mince it fine and stamp it: then add to it three ounces of whole pepper, two ounces of pepper more grosly cracked or beaten, whole cloves an ounce, nutmegs an ounce finely beaten, salt, spanish, or peter-salt, an ounce of coriander-seed finely beaten, or carraway-seed, cinamon an ounce fine beaten, lard cut an inch long, as big as your little finger, and clean without rust; mingle all the foresaid together; and fill beef guts as full as you can possibly, and as the wind gathers in the gut, prick them with a pin, and shake them well down with your hands; for if they be not well filled, they will be rusty.

These aforesaid Bolonia Sausages are most excellent of pork only: but some use buttock beef, with pork, half one and as much of the other. Beef and pork are very good.

Some do use pork of a weeks powder for this use beforesaid, and no more salt at all.

Some put a little sack in the beating of these sausages, and put in place of coriander-seed, carraway-seed.

This is the most excellent way to make Bolonia Sausages, being carefully filled, and tied fast with a packthred, and smoaked or smothered three or four days, that will turn them red; then hang them in some cool cellar or higher room to take the air.

The Accomplisht Cook, 1660

Foods of England - The Accomplisht Cook, 1660

Wikipedia says a signature aspect of bologna is the use of myrtle seed. I've heard of myrtle, but never the seed.

MG, the reason bologna became so popular in the US over many years is because it is cheap. Many kids went to school with a bologna sandwich in their lunchboxes when I was a kid. Bologna is one of those foods many moms used to feed their families on a budget. The fact that most kids liked it was a bonus.

CD

Good reading. It expands on my post -- in great detail.

I saw Miracle Whip mentioned in the article, which is what I ate on bologna sandwiches as a kid. That made me wonder if it is sold anywhere other than the US. I'm sure I'll find out here.

CD
Wikipedia says MW is sold here, in Canada, and in Germany.

I do not like it.

I must read ingredients on our "luncheon" my son growing up would only eat luncheon with tomato sauce/ ketchup. Grew out of it when an adolescent. I never grew out of it.

Russ

MG, the reason bologna became so popular in the US over many years is because it is cheap. Many kids went to school with a bologna sandwich in their lunchboxes when I was a kid. Bologna is one of those foods many moms used to feed their families on a budget. The fact that most kids liked it was a bonus.

CD

Yes - its strange the same did not happen here with polony. The lunchbox thing may be a difference since up until relatively recently nearly all kids had hot school dinners so no need for lunch boxes. In fact, I think all state schools here are still required to provide nutritionally balanced meals - but it has been increasingly the case that kids take lunch boxes.

The main reformed pork/ham I remember is 'luncheon meat' and Spam. Luncheon meat is sold in tins and appears to be made in the Netherlands:

Last edited:
nearly all kids had hot school dinners so no need for lunch boxes.
As a funny little aside concerning school lunches.

Here, no surprise, schools serve a hot lunch, cafeteria style. When I was a kid, you had the option of buying a school lunch (via a meal ticket), or bringing your own in a brown bag or lunch box/bucket/pail (whatever you call it in your area).

The first few days of every new school year, you had to figure out what the "cool" thing was that year. One year, it would be cool to bring your lunch from home, another year, the cool thing was to buy your lunch from the cafeteria.

It could get complex, working out the sociological factors. The years it was cool to buy your lunch...that was because you were showing you had money to spend, but the next year, when it was no longer the cool thing to do, buying a school lunch meant exactly the opposite, because they were so cheap, so it was, "oh, you have a school lunch, your family must be poor!"

It even alternated some years between whether it was cool to bring your lunch in a lunchbox or in a brown paper lunch bag!

Oh, the trials of navigating childhood...

Good reading. It expands on my post -- in great detail.

I saw Miracle Whip mentioned in the article, which is what I ate on bologna sandwiches as a kid. That made me wonder if it is sold anywhere other than the US. I'm sure I'll find out here.

CD
Miracle whip - that is what Mom used. Grandma had both - Miracle whip and Hellman's mayonnaise. Not so fond of the Miracle Whip as I get older however still love the Hellman's. Full fat Hellman's not the lite brand or the kind made with olive oil. 😁

Back
Top Bottom