Garlic Butter

Reactions: mjd
I just learned that the minuscule e differs from the upper case/majuscule E in food markings. In Europe, the big E (+ a specifying number) means a food additive which has been approved by the EU.

Yeah - often called E numbers. Meaning additives which may or may not be good for you!

E numbers are also used in the US but they are required to be specifically named as well:

E numbers
In the EU, common food additives are assigned an identifying three- or four-digit code, known as an E number. While it’s common practice for labels in the EU to identify food additives by their E Numbers, in the US, additives must be referenced by their common names. “’Sodium caseinate’ would be declared as such in the ingredient list of a US food label,” explains Culhane. “On an EU food label, it would be declared as ‘E469’.”

Differences between EU and US nutrition labels go far beyond ounces and grams

My recipe for garlic butter includes:
- Salted butter
- Fresh parsley, dill, tarragon and basil
- 1 clove of garlic ( grated finely to a paste)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Black pepper ( milled)

Chilli! Either ground chilli or finely chopped fresh chilli
Tarragon
Juniper
Lemon or lime zest
Grated fresh ginger
Coriander (cilantro)
Roasted fresh tomatoes (or you could use pre-prepared sun dried tomato)
I could go on...

Sorry if this has been said but the great thing about flavoured butter is that you can shape it into a log (use cling film to roll it up, twisting the cling film either end). Then you can store in the freezer and cut off what you need each time.

Do you have a technique for rolling it in cling film? I have always used wax paper.

This sparks an idea to try it in ice cube trays. I could have different combinations in each one.

Back
Top Bottom