Recipe & Video Garlic & Scallions Cheese Bread

I think the big thing is, let that dough take whatever time it needs to rise - I'm betting that's the issue.

It shouldn't matter with dry yeast, but one thing I do, just out of habit, is I add the yeast to one side of the bowl and the salt to the other - salt directly on fresh yeast will kill it, though dry yeast should be fine, it's just a bit of superstition on my part.

Yep, you have just anticipated me about the work that salt does with yeast - whatever it is. They don’t love each other put together, salt kills yeast. I usually put salt as last ingredient

Reactions: mjd
I think the big thing is, let that dough take whatever time it needs to rise - I'm betting that's the issue.

It shouldn't matter with dry yeast, but one thing I do, just out of habit, is I add the yeast to one side of the bowl and the salt to the other - salt directly on fresh yeast will kill it, though dry yeast should be fine, it's just a bit of superstition on my part.

You hit it on the head.

1. I probably didn't knead it long enough.
2. I used the clock instead of waiting for it to actually rise.
3. I put all the dry ingredients in in no particular order so the salt probably touched the yeast.

I'm going to try again this coming week. I'll post the results. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom