Recipe Ginger-peanut chicken thighs

Herbaceous

Local time
2:46 PM
This recipe is incredibly simple, and incredibly delicious. The chicken comes out falling-apart tender and very flavourful. You will need a slow cooker for this recipe. This recipe is from Looneyspoons by Janet and Greta Podleski.

Ingredients:

12 boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
1 cup salsa
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp frozen concentrated orange juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp liquid honey
1 tbsp grated fresh gingerroot
1/2 tsp curry powder

Whisk together all ingredients except chicken thighs. You can do this right in the crock of your slow cooker if you want to save on dishes. Add the chicken thighs and turn to coat with sauce. Cook on low for 5-6 hr or high for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.

Makes 6 servings.

IMG_9068.jpeg

IMG_9071.jpeg

Yep, what he said 👆

Could you just clarify what ‘salsa’ is? We have salsa available in the ‘dips’ section, it’s generally a tomato and onion concoction, is that the sort of thing?
Also OJ wise are you talking about the little can sized tub of frozen concentrate you dilute with water to make up orange juice?
They stopped selling frozen concentrate here long ago so perhaps a bit of orange zest would suffice?

Really fancying this recipe right now!

Yep, what he said 👆

Could you just clarify what ‘salsa’ is? We have salsa available in the ‘dips’ section, it’s generally a tomato and onion concoction, is that the sort of thing?
Also OJ wise are you talking about the little can sized tub of frozen concentrate you dilute with water to make up orange juice?
They stopped selling frozen concentrate here long ago so perhaps a bit of orange zest would suffice?

Really fancying this recipe right now!
Yes to both!

I just used jarred salsa from the grocery store (the kind you dip chips into), and frozen, concentrated OJ (that you dilute with water). You could probably substitute orange zest, maybe add the juice of a fresh orange in there too - let us know how it goes!

Yes to both!

I just used jarred salsa from the grocery store (the kind you dip chips into), and frozen, concentrated OJ (that you dilute with water). You could probably substitute orange zest, maybe add the juice of a fresh orange in there too - let us know how it goes!
One last question, I think it’s the last one anyway 😂
The peanut butter over here is thick. Like a paste. It’s thick enough that if you're not careful it will rip your bread when you try and spread it. So I find American recipes using peanut butter are always a bit dicey when it comes to how much to use.

How thick is Canadian peanut butter? Is it runny and easy to spread or will a table knife stand up in it?

One last question, I think it’s the last one anyway 😂
The peanut butter over here is thick. Like a paste. It’s thick enough that if you're not careful it will rip your bread when you try and spread it. So I find American recipes using peanut butter are always a bit dicey when it comes to how much to use.

How thick is Canadian peanut butter? Is it runny and easy to spread or will a table knife stand up in it?
Canadian peanut butter is quite thick, thicker than the stuff that’s just ground peanuts.

I think this will still be good no matter what type of peanut butter you use, the sauce might just be a bit thicker if you use a thicker PB!

Let me know how it turns out!

And we’re off!!
IMG_2161.jpeg

Shopping delivered and assembled in the slow cooker by 8am 👏
Used the zest and juice of one normalish sized orange in place of the frozen concentrate.

Doubled the recipe as my son said he’d be down as he’d like some home cooked food. I showed him your recipe and he also likes the sound of it to the extent he asked me to send him the recipe and a small slow cooker has been put in the car!

If your recipe opens up the world of slow cooking for my boy then that’s a big THANKYOU!

ps it’s not that orange in real life the camera just got a bit confused because my utility is bright pink.

Canadian peanut butter is quite thick, thicker than the stuff that’s just ground peanuts.

I think this will still be good no matter what type of peanut butter you use, the sauce might just be a bit thicker if you use a thicker PB!

Let me know how it turns out!
It turned out very well. Everyone liked it and my poor salad/noodle eating student son couldn’t wedge enough of it in.

There was 2 kilos (4.4llb’s) of chicken thighs in there along with the other ingredients, in theory that was enough for 12 people, in reality there are only two quite small portions left, so that tells you how much the two gannets enjoyed it 😂

I might reduce the orange zest a tad next time, I think a whole oranges worth was a tiny bit too much (but only a tiny bit) and I would possibly add some chilli as the spicy salsa had jalapeños in it and it added an extra dimension.

I can see it becoming my dog grooming day go to because it was nice knowing it was blipping away waiting for us when we finished and the kitchen smelt lovely!

Back
Top Bottom