Recipe Gluten-Free Buckwheat Pancakes

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
10:21 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum) is related to rhubarb, and comes from the plant’s seeds, and so isn’t a true grain. It contains eight essential amino acids, and, depending on your source, comes in a sizable amount of total protein. It contains more fiber than oatmeal per serving, and some studies indicate a positive role in maintaining proper blood sugar, healthy levels of LDL, and a goodly amount of dietary manganese (Buckwheat).

This recipe contains no other grains nor pseudo-grains.

buckwheat-pancakes.jpg

Yes, there is a drizzle of maple syrup on these pancakes! (Love the flavor, not the sugar!)

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes per skillet load
Rest Time: Not needed, but if you are making a lot and want everyone to eat together, cover and put them in a warming tray, or set the oven temp as low as possible, and keep them there until ready.
Serves: 3-4 people, depending on sides
Leftovers? Not after cooking, but you can reserve extra batter for a couple of days.

Buckwheat Buttermilk Pancakes

• 1 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (I used a little less, and I used organic coconut cane sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1.25 cups buttermilk, shaken
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • optional 1/4 cup of blueberries, cranberries (pre-steam these), strawberries (chopped), or banana (sliced and chopped).
  • Butter, for the cooking oil
  • Your choice of toppings. (I went with butter and a splash of real maple syrup)
Mix together by hand all the dry stuff in a large bowl.

Mix together by hand all the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.

Add wet to dry, and mix that by hand, leaving some lumps. If adding fruit, add this in now.

Heat your skillet and when the butter or other oil you add to the skillet is hot – before the butter browns – add batter. I tend to like small pancakes as I find them easier to control. Flip when you start to see bubbles. Cook for another 2-4 minutes, checking to make sure the bottom side isn’t burning. A nice tan works fine.

Serve. Add toppings of your choice. I bring my butter to room temperature ahead of time, and I prefer to use that. As a New Englander, I like real maple syrup, but since I am NOT a sweet tooth, especially at breakfast, I just drizzle on enough for a bit of that maple taste. I do NOT bother with “flavored corn syrup”!

The below link takes you to my inspiration for this. I followed the pancake portion of the recipe pretty closely. The flavor is somewhat more "granular" than conventional pancakes.

Buckwheat Buttermilk Pancake recipe, from Cookie + Kate.

If you like some sides for breakfast with this, serve with with home-made pork sausage patties, or some quality plain yogurt to which you might add your own fruit. Or just a big bowl of fresh berries!

buckwheat-syrup.jpg

Buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum) is related to rhubarb, and comes from the plant’s seeds, and so isn’t a true grain. It contains eight essential amino acids, and, depending on your source, comes in a sizable amount of total protein. It contains more fiber than oatmeal per serving, and some studies indicate a positive role in maintaining proper blood sugar, healthy levels of LDL, and a goodly amount of dietary manganese (Buckwheat).

This recipe contains no other grains nor pseudo-grains.

View attachment 38092
Yes, there is a drizzle of maple syrup on these pancakes! (Love the flavor, not the sugar!)

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes per skillet load
Rest Time: Not needed, but if you are making a lot and want everyone to eat together, cover and put them in a warming tray, or set the oven temp as low as possible, and keep them there until ready.
Serves: 3-4 people, depending on sides
Leftovers? Not after cooking, but you can reserve extra batter for a couple of days.

Buckwheat Buttermilk Pancakes

• 1 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (I used a little less, and I used organic coconut cane sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1.25 cups buttermilk, shaken
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • optional 1/4 cup of blueberries, cranberries (pre-steam these), strawberries (chopped), or banana (sliced and chopped).
  • Butter, for the cooking oil
  • Your choice of toppings. (I went with butter and a splash of real maple syrup)
Mix together by hand all the dry stuff in a large bowl.

Mix together by hand all the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.

Add wet to dry, and mix that by hand, leaving some lumps. If adding fruit, add this in now.

Heat your skillet and when the butter or other oil you add to the skillet is hot – before the butter browns – add batter. I tend to like small pancakes as I find them easier to control. Flip when you start to see bubbles. Cook for another 2-4 minutes, checking to make sure the bottom side isn’t burning. A nice tan works fine.

Serve. Add toppings of your choice. I bring my butter to room temperature ahead of time, and I prefer to use that. As a New Englander, I like real maple syrup, but since I am NOT a sweet tooth, especially at breakfast, I just drizzle on enough for a bit of that maple taste. I do NOT bother with “flavored corn syrup”!

The below link takes you to my inspiration for this. I followed the pancake portion of the recipe pretty closely. The flavor is somewhat more "granular" than conventional pancakes.

Buckwheat Buttermilk Pancake recipe, from Cookie + Kate.

If you like some sides for breakfast with this, serve with with home-made pork sausage patties, or some quality plain yogurt to which you might add your own fruit. Or just a big bowl of fresh berries!

View attachment 38093

I'm a fan of buckwheat and is something that here in the North of Italy is very used. It is also added to polenta and this combo is named Polenta Taragna.

I like the use of buttermilk too which I love by now.
Maple Syrup is another thing that I love to use, besides honey

Baking soda/Baking powder: are they both fundamental? I was thinking to use only baking soda, but I'm not an expert at all. What do you think?

I think using just baking soda would work fine. Because other pancake recipes don't always seem to call for baking powder, and the way these cook is similar to the way others cook... Buttermilk is one of the great finds over the years, and the best ones are from local producers (at least in the US).​
I'd love to try this Polenta Taragna - I'll no doubt have to make it myself (since I doubt I'd ever find it in a local restaurant...)​

I think using just baking soda would work fine. Because other pancake recipes don't always seem to call for baking powder, and the way these cook is similar to the way others cook... Buttermilk is one of the great finds over the years, and the best ones are from local producers (at least in the US).​
I'd love to try this Polenta Taragna - I'll no doubt have to make it myself (since I doubt I'd ever find it in a local restaurant...)​

Thanks! I want to give a try to these buckwheat pancakes, I'm very intrigued. I'll use only baking soda then and I'll let you know..

Buttermilk is something that I have found out lately reading a bread recipe of TastyReuben who used buttermilk. I'm still learning about its use, but at the moment I'm quite keen with it. In Italy is not very used, or hardly at all, I found it at a bio-supermarket that luckily is close to my house

About Polenta Taragna, is a typical dish of the mountain areas especially in Lombardy and Trentino South-Tyrol, often paired with braised meat or mushrooms or cheese (Fontina) or butter and cheese together...mmmmm, special

Thanks! I want to give a try to these buckwheat pancakes, I'm very intrigued. I'll use only baking soda then and I'll let you know..

Buttermilk is something that I have found out lately reading a bread recipe of TastyReuben who used buttermilk. I'm still learning about its use, but at the moment I'm quite keen with it. In Italy is not very used, or hardly at all, I found it at a bio-supermarket that luckily is close to my house

About Polenta Taragna, is a typical dish of the mountain areas especially in Lombardy and Trentino South-Tyrol, often paired with braised meat or mushrooms or cheese (Fontina) or butter and cheese together...mmmmm, special

Yes, please do let me know how those pancakes turn out! And buttermilk has been quite the useful discovery here, as well.

That Polenta Taragna sounds like something I'll put on a to-try list soon. Whether I do it with the braised meats, or Fontina, or mushrooms - I'll let you know - all the pairings sound tasty. Thanks for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom