Recipe Gnocchi with jumbo lump crab meat and black truffle

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:39 AM
This was 1 of the best, if not the best dish I've ever tasted. It was so good that we literally licked the sauce off the plate (we were at home, although I might very well have tried to surreptitiously swipe my finger on the plate in the restaurant). The original recipe was Chef John Besh's though I've modified a bit.
full.jpg

Gnocchi with jumbo lump crab meat and truffle

Serves 2 as a meal, 4 as an appetizer course

1 batch of gnocchi using 2 large russet potatos, about 1 pound each - recipe linked

1 cup Basic Crab Pan Sauce - recipe below - we added some high quality lobster soup base (paste) to some shrimp stock we had since we bought the crab already shelled.

2 Tbsp butter
1/4 lb jumbo lump crabmeat
1/2 of a small black truffle, shaved (optional, we've made with and without, just makes it even better and more luxurious)
1/4 cup shaved Parmigiano cheese

Add the cooked gnocchi to the Crab Pan Sauce in a large skillet over medium heat. add the crabmeat, the remaining 2 Tbsp butter. Serve immediately, garnishing each plate with a little shaved truffle and Parmigiano.

Crab Pan Sauce

1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup minced fennel bulb
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Leaves from 1 sprig fresh thyme
Leaves from 1 sprig fresh tarragon - I used fresh basil as I cannot stand tarragon.
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dry vermouth
1 cup Basic Crab or Shellfish Stock

In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, fennel, and pepper flakes. Cook the vegetables for 3 minutes, stirring often. Then, add the thyme, bay leaf, cream, vermouth, and stock, stir, and increase the heat to medium high, and reduce the sauce by half, about 10-12 minutes. Strain sauce.

Last edited:
This was 1 of the best, if not the best dish I've ever tasted. It was so good that we literally licked the sauce off the plate (we were at home, although I might very well have tried to surreptitiously swipe my finger on the plate in the restaurant). The original recipe was Chef John Besh's though I've modified a bit.
View attachment 59036

Gnocchi with jumbo lump crab meat and truffle

Serves 2 as a meal, 4 as an appetizer course

1 batch of gnocchi using 2 large russet potatos, about 1 pound each - recipe linked

1 cup Basic Crab Pan Sauce - recipe below - we added some high quality lobster soup base (paste) to some shrimp stock we had since we bought the crab already shelled.

2 Tbsp butter
1/4 lb jumbo lump crabmeat
1/2 of a small black truffle, shaved (optional, we've made with and without, just makes it even better and more luxurious)
1/4 cup shaved Parmigiano cheese

Add the cooked gnocchi to the Crab Pan Sauce in a large skillet over medium heat. add the crabmeat, the remaining 2 Tbsp butter. Serve immediately, garnishing each plate with a little shaved truffle and Parmigiano.

Crab Pan Sauce

1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup minced fennel bulb
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Leaves from 1 sprig fresh thyme
Leaves from 1 sprig fresh tarragon - I used fresh basil as I cannot stand tarragon.
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dry vermouth
1 cup Basic Crab or Shellfish Stock

In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, fennel, and pepper flakes. Cook the vegetables for 3 minutes, stirring often. Then, add the thyme, bay leaf, cream, vermouth, and stock, stir, and increase the heat to medium high, and reduce the sauce by half, about 10-12 minutes. Strain sauce.

I wish we could get crab here, I know I would like that. I might try and see if we have canned crab, although I don't think it will taste any good??

Russ

Depends, we buy canned crab from the restaurant place, but it still has to be refrigerated and it's even more expensive than buying crabs and cooking/picking ourselves. It's not the canned crab you get at the regular grocery.

Depends, we buy canned crab from the restaurant place, but it still has to be refrigerated and it's even more expensive than buying crabs and cooking/picking ourselves. It's not the canned crab you get at the regular grocery.

I'll chance my arm. Thanks

Russ

Thanks I'll,check out supermarket first. :)

Russ
Maybe you could sub out a different type of seafood? Like shredded lobster meat I think would work well, or even a high-quality type of white-meat fish. I think it's the sauce that makes the dish, right?

Maybe you could sub out a different type of seafood? Like shredded lobster meat I think would work well, or even a high-quality type of white-meat fish. I think it's the sauce that makes the dish, right?

Yeah I have crayfish but wanto try the crab. We don't get big crabs like you do here.

Russ

Just don't use "krab," which is that imitation crab made from compressed fish scraps. That stuff is NASTY.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 9.12.40 PM.png

CD

I think i would go with shrimp or lobster if jumbo lump crab wasn't available. If we go to the restaurant supply place soon, I'll either take a picture or buy some because I can't remember brand name. They come in pound cans I believe and are kept in their refrigerated rooms at the seafood counter.

Apparently a lot of people unfortunately. Our DD and DGDs will eat "sushi" made with krab and cream cheese and something else I can't remember.
Ah yes, California rolls. Krab, cucumber and cream cheese. I've seen them on menus. Yuk. Why pay so much money for fake food? But then I've been known to use Velveeta, lol. I guess both things are edible and technically a food. I'm pretty much a seafood snob though, my eating imitation crabmeat is unimaginable.

Back
Top Bottom