Recipe Golden Dill English Muffins

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
12:35 PM
Golden Dill English Muffins:

full.jpg

NOTE: English Muffins are a simple recipe and among available recipes, those recipes do not vary much, except with tweaks to ingredients and procedure.

Ingredients:

1) Flour, unbleached - 3 cups
2) Semolina - as required
3) Yeast, fast acting dry - 1/4 Oz.
4) Butter - 3 tblspns.
5) Half n half - 1/2 cup
6) Water - 1/2 cup
7) Sugar, fine powdered - 2 tblspns
8) Egg - 1
9) Dill - 3 tspns.

NOTE: Omitting butter and egg (yolk) will create plain white muffins, while using butter the entire egg will give them a more golden look and more flavor.

NOTE: Makes about 6 to 8 muffins.

Procedure:

1) Soften the butter in advance.
2) Warm the half n half to about 90F.
3) Mix in the butter and set aside.
4) Combine sugar, yeast and 90F water in a bowl.
5) Stir until sugar and yeast dissolve.
6) Add about 2 tblspns. of flour and stir until consistent.
7) Cover and set aside until yeast gets frothy.
8) Mix in the warm milk, butter, egg, dill and remaining flour.
9) Knead the dough for 3 to 5 minutes.
10) Form the dough into a ball and let rise to about double in size.
11) Roll out the dough to about 1" thickness.

TIP: If you are in the habit of flouring the surface where you roll your dough, use semolina, instead of flour. This will keep your muffins clean of white flour sticking to them.

12) Use a muffin mold as a cutter to create dough rounds.

full.jpg

NOTE: As dough is used up, reform the scraps and roll again to use up all the dough, repeating steps 11 and 12.

13) Cover the rounds and allow to rise again for about 30 minutes.
14) Heat a frying pan to about 200 to 210F.
15) Sprinkle the pan with the semolina.
16) Fit dough rounds in the pan and heat for about 5 minutes.
17) Flip each dough round and heat the other side for 5 minutes.
18) Set aside the finished muffins.

NOTE: Repeat steps 15 to 18 to finish the remaining dough rounds that didn't fit in the first time. If there is burnt semolina in the pan, clean it out before starting step 15 again.

19) Slice each muffin into upper and lower halves.
20) Serve or allow to cool and bag for storage.

NOTE: Serve is a very loose term here, because English muffins would typically be used to combine with other ingredients to form sandwiches or things like eggs Benedict. They would most basically be buttered or spread with jellies, etc.

Golden dill English muffin halves with black currant spread ...

full.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely! I am a deep fan of English muffins, and will keep this recipe in mind.

I am very satisfied with the results of this recipe. It's a just in time result. I needed some English muffins and they were on my grocery list, but no longer. I will be using at least one of these in another eggs recipe, soon. I will have one with today's meal, also, New England clam chowder.

The usual English muffin is rather bland compared to these golden dill English muffins. You will appreciate that.

At first I thought you made muffins containing 'golden dill' and wondered why I hadn't heard of it! You can get bronze fennel though (I have some in the garden).

Now I realise its the egg that provides the the 'golden'. They look good and they seem packed with dill. I'm assuming this is dried dill?

At first I thought you made muffins containing 'golden dill' and wondered why I hadn't heard of it! You can get bronze fennel though (I have some in the garden).

Now I realise its the egg that provides the the 'golden'. They look good and they seem packed with dill. I'm assuming this is dried dill?

You are correct, the egg gives the golden color. The dill is dry. I have no capacity for gardening at this apartment complex.

I don't currently grow it but its easily available at all supermarkets here along with lots of other fresh green herbs.

I might find fresh dill in the markets, but all too often, it spoils, before I can use it or use it all. It's same for chives in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom