Recipe Greek style cabbage rolls with avgolemono sauce

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:56 PM
Delicate dill adds a delicious flavour to the lamb in these cabbage rolls and the sharpness of the creamy lemon sauce is perfect with lamb. This recipe is quite easy to make as there is no chopping required. Most versions of this Greek inspired dish use a mix of meat and rice for the stuffing. If you wanted a more economical dish then replace ⅓ (volume) of the lamb with cooked rice.

Ingredients (serves 2 - 3)
For the cabbage rolls:

8 -10 savoy cabbage leaves
600g minced lamb (20% fat)
2 tsp each of ground cinnamon and ground coriander
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
4 tbsp chopped dill

For the avgolemono sauce:
2 eggs
75ml warm chicken or vegetable stock
4 tbsp lemon juice

Method:
  1. Heat oven to 170 C
  2. Blanche the cabbage leaves in boiling water until they soften. Pat them dry and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl mix together the lamb, spices and dill. The easiest way to do this is by hand.
  4. Fry a small amount of the mixture to test for seasoning. Add more salt if required.
  5. Place a cabbage leaf on a chopping board with the base closest to you. Cut away the thick base of the stem. Form 2 tbsp of the lamb mix into a fat sausage shape and place across the base of the leaf. Fold in the sides of the cabbage, then tightly roll up from the bottom. Repeat to make 8 -10
  6. Place the cabbage rolls seam side down in a suitable dish making sure they are packed tightly to the edge. Cover with a plate to hold them in place, and bake for 35 minutes. Pour off any fat which accumulates in the bottom of the dish. Whilst the cabbage rolls are cooking, make the sauce.
  7. Whisk the eggs and lemon juice together until frothy and add ½ the warm (not hot) stock whisking well, Place the mixture in a pan over a very low heat. Gradually add the rest of the stock, whisking as you go. Carry on whisking until the mixture thickens (approx. 5 mins).

Last edited:
Looks super! It does sound pretty quick too! This hits so many culinary spots I love, dill, lemon, kale, mince and rice filling, I was wondering is 20% fat on the standard level for a mince? Believe it or not I never had lamb. So I consulted Google, who tells me that 4% fat, e.g. is considered lean, so 20 is towards the fattier part of the mince fat scale, more lush?

I was wondering is 20% fat on the standard level for a mince?

Lamb is a fatty meat and I think 20% is about average though you can get leaner. You need the fat in this recipe, I think. Pork or veal could be substituted for lamb but personally I wouldn't use beef in this particular recipe.

Back
Top Bottom