Recipe Greengage & Bresaola Tart

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:06 PM
British greengages are a type of heritage plum and are closely related to French 'Reine Claude Verte'. When ripe they have an acidity in the skin which contrast beautifully with the sweet honey tasting flesh. They are in season for a for a short time. - from late August through to September/October.

Here, I paired them with Italian Bresaola which has a delicious slightly salty, musky flavour. You could use Prosciutto instead for a sharper contrast.

fullsizeoutput_4f2d.jpeg

Ingredients
Ready-rolled puff pastry
9 Greengages (approx.) halved, stones removed
50-60g thinly sliced Bresaola
75g ricotta cheese
1 egg yolk
Beaten egg to glaze the pastry (optional)
Dried tarragon to sprinkle (optional)

For the Port & Balsamic drizzle:

50 ml Port
25 ml balsamic vinegar

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 180 C
  2. Place the ricotta and egg yolk in a small bowl and mix together well.
  3. Cut an oblong of pastry (approx. 8 ins x 10 ins) and place on a baking sheet. Lightly score a 1/2 inch - 3/4 inch margin along each edge of the pastry to act as a rim.
  4. Spoon the ricotta mix onto the pastry and use the back of a spoon to spread it over the base, to the inside of the margin.
  5. Arrange the fruit and Bresaola over the top. Brush beaten egg on the margin.
  6. Place the tart in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 mins or until the ricotta base is set and the pastry is golden brown.
  7. Whilst the tart is cooking, make the Port and balsamic drizzle.
  8. Place the Port and balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan. Place over a low heat and reduce by half or until syrupy in consistency.
  9. To serve, drizzle the Port/balsamic syrup over the tart and sprinkle with a little dried tarragon (optiona)
  10. Eat warm or at room temperature.
fullsizeoutput_4f2a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4f25.jpeg

British greengages are a type of heritage plum and are closely related to French 'Reine Claude Verte'. When ripe they have an acidity in the skin which contrast beautifully with the sweet honey tasting flesh.
This looks terrific. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that either variety is available to me, except for greengage jam on Amazon. :(

I imagine this is a bit like a tomato in this application. I could even use yellow plum tomatoes so it would look the same, even if the taste isn't quite there.

This looks terrific. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that either variety is available to me, except for greengage jam on Amazon. :(

I imagine this is a bit like a tomato in this application. I could even use yellow plum tomatoes so it would look the same, even if the taste isn't quite there.

Well I was thinking before what could be substituted, since green plums aren't available everywhere. You could use any sort of plum - but the tart wouldn't look so pretty if it was 'all red'. Green gooseberries would work as they have a tartness like greengages but I didn't really know if they were widely available either. For contrast it needs to be something sweet & sour and green/orange/yellow in colour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom