Recipe Greengage, Feta & Honey Tart

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:54 AM
Greengages are in season for a very short time in the UK. They are a type of plum, similar to the French Reine Claude. They have deliciously sour skins and sweet flesh. Here, honey compliments the sweet and sour plums and feta adds a salty, tangy dimension. The lavender is the aromatic and always works well with honey. I added chilli flakes for a contrasting spike - but you don’t have to. You can make a much larger tart than I did by simply scaling up the quantities (which are approximate in any case).

Use unripe greengages otherwise they will collapse too much in baking. If you can’t get greengages use sour unripe plums. I think rhubarb would also work here instead of greengages - but I’ve not tried it.

fullsizeoutput_513f.jpeg

Ingredients
(serves 2 as a snack)
  • Ready rolled puff pastry (approx. 23 cm x 9 cm)
  • 4 greengages, halved and stoned
  • A drizzle of honey
  • 40 g feta cheese
  • A generous drizzle of honey
  • A pinch of lavender seeds (less is more)
  • A pinch of chilli flakes
  • Beaten egg to glaze
Method
  1. Heat the oven to 180 C
  2. Place the pastry on a baking sheet and score a 3 cm deep border around the edge.
  3. Arrange the greengages inside border and add crumbled feta around them.
  4. Drizzle the tart with honey and sprinkle the lavender seeds and chilli flakes (if using) over.
  5. Brush the edge of the tart with beaten egg.
  6. Bake for 20 - 25 mins.
fullsizeoutput_513a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5143.jpeg

Last edited:
Greengages are in season for a very short time in the UK. They are a type of plum, similar to the French Reine Claude. They have deliciously sour skins and sweet flesh. Here, honey compliments the sweet and sour plums and feta adds a salty, tangy dimension. The lavender is the aromatic and always works well with honey. I added chilli flakes for a contrasting spike - but you don’t have to. You can make a much larger tart than I did by simply scaling up the quantities (which are approximate in any case).

Use unripe greengages otherwise they will collapse too much in baking. If you can’t get greengages use sour unripe plums. I think rhubarb would also work here instead of greengages - but I’ve not tried it.

View attachment 31682

Ingredients
(serves 2 as a snack)
  • Ready rolled puff pastry (approx. 23 cm x 9 cm)
  • 4 greengages, halved and stoned
  • A drizzle of honey
  • 40 g feta cheese
  • A generous drizzle of honey
  • A pinch of lavender seeds (less is more)
  • A pinch of chilli flakes
  • Beaten egg to glaze
Method
  1. Heat the oven to 180 C
  2. Place the pastry on a baking sheet and score a 3 cm deep border around the edge.
  3. Arrange the greengages inside border and add crumbled feta around them.
  4. Drizzle the tart with honey and sprinkle the lavender seeds and chilli flakes (if using) over.
  5. Brush the edge of the tart with beaten egg.
  6. Bake for 20 - 25 mins.
View attachment 31681

View attachment 31683
Lovely! I saw greengages in Tesco yesterday but didn't buy them because we have a surplus of plums at the moment. The plums are sweet (Victoria, we think) so probably wouldn't work in this dish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom