Grilled corn

I'm not fond of grilled corn because most people overcook it and dry it out. We rarely get freshly picked corn, have to hit the farmer's stands at just the right time down here. Not a big window for decent corn since it gets hot so fast. I saw where 1 of the big name chefs had taken to brining his then grilling, then slathering with a compound butter, might give that a try, but I don't know if they are still picking corn here, as we are almost at end of our growing season except for South Florida native fruits and veges, which corn is certainly not. Strawberries are already over, have been for several weeks.

Almost summer and still picking strawberries, not many, but still.

Russ

Up here they sell frozen corn. I am not sure I would freeze it yself. We had a discussion (I started) aboutthe carrots oin soup and one respondent said it is not frozen fast enough, indeed I have heard of those places ussing like liquid nitrogen or something. The issue was the carrots and even if I put them in raw they are mush. Yet I could buy frozen carrots and they thaw, and if you don't cook them they are almost raw.

If you do get the frozen ones let them thaw naturally. Not even in the fridge, just out. They do not have to be constantly refrigerated.

I see it go in and out of season here. seems we have more or use less. It is only hard to get a short time. But you live actually south of corn country and they send most of it north I would assume.

Actually if you weren't so far south I would say you could probably run up to Georgia and get more corn than your ears can handle. i drove through there a couple of times in the 1990s. I liked that they simply didn't care how fast you go.

T

Up here they sell frozen corn. I am not sure I would freeze it yself. We had a discussion (I started) aboutthe carrots oin soup and one respondent said it is not frozen fast enough, indeed I have heard of those places ussing like liquid nitrogen or something. The issue was the carrots and even if I put them in raw they are mush. Yet I could buy frozen carrots and they thaw, and if you don't cook them they are almost raw.

If you do get the frozen ones let them thaw naturally. Not even in the fridge, just out. They do not have to be constantly refrigerated.

I see it go in and out of season here. seems we have more or use less. It is only hard to get a short time. But you live actually south of corn country and they send most of it north I would assume.

Actually if you weren't so far south I would say you could probably run up to Georgia and get more corn than your ears can handle. i drove through there a couple of times in the 1990s. I liked that they simply didn't care how fast you go.

T
I watched a programme about food factories, they froze peas within an hour of being picked then the vitamins were like 5 times higher from fresh frozen than supermarket type peas. The difference was huge.
We freeze corn here when on special, no difference in taste here what so ever.

Russ

T

Fresh corn tastes better than frozen, that's why I was talking about grilling it.

"How fast you go," you just got lucky. We used to travel through Georgia to go "home" to visit. I tend to have a very heavy foot, even with cruise control, get impatient. I'll reiterate, you got lucky...

Just to give you an idea of my lead foot, made it to the West bank of New Orleans from about half way between Miami and Fort Lauderdale in just under 9.5 hours once. That was my best time. SIL threatened to tattle on me to Craig. That didn't go over well with me.

I didn’t think I would ever like grilled corn. Once I grilled it I don’t want it any other way.

Fresh corn tastes better than frozen, that's why I was talking about grilling it.

"How fast you go," you just got lucky. We used to travel through Georgia to go "home" to visit. I tend to have a very heavy foot, even with cruise control, get impatient. I'll reiterate, you got lucky...

Just to give you an idea of my lead foot, made it to the West bank of New Orleans from about half way between Miami and Fort Lauderdale in just under 9.5 hours once. That was my best time. SIL threatened to tattle on me to Craig. That didn't go over well with me.
I was in Iowa several years ago and bought fresh sweet corn. It was incredible. Can’t find anything that compares in the south

We grow our own sweetcorn. When its ready it gets harvested, shucked and bagged up in two-person portions with a knob of butter and salt and pepper and then sous vided. Once done, we'll eat some that day...maybe just as it is, maybe finished on the BBQ....depends on the day's plan. The rest of it (because there's always more than we can easily eat) goes into the freezer for later. Freezing it after sous viding it preserves it perfectly and there's no loss of flavour or texture compared to the fresh ones :okay:

I didn’t think I would ever like grilled corn. Once I grilled it I don’t want it any other way.
100% agree. I soak mine in salted water with husk on for a bit, then throw it on the grill same way. After 15-20 mins, remove husk (the fibers come off really easily this way) and then get some final grill marks on the corn before serving.

This corn was precooked (boiled in salt water) so it only took some color in the self-made barbecue stand (embers).

This corn-barbecue place (summer cabin with a self-made barbecue stand) comes with a traditional outhouse. Just dingle about it. The kitchen is small and the water (clean enough for cooking and rinsing veggies) comes straight from the lake. Our only boat is a rowing boat. We sold the motor boat in the 90's. We do have electricity but no water heater (we broke it once and didn't bother to buy a new one). The water kettle and a few plastic buckets work fine for doing the dishes. I guess there is mold, too: we call the place smelly cabin. The cabin was unoccupied from 1950's to 1980's so Jerry and his nosy friends (rodents) owned the place for decades. Nobody has asthma (yet). The pros are that the ceiling doesn't leak, my whole family is normally there, the nature is outstanding, the waters are fishy, there are no immediate neighbors (I can show off my belly fat) and a nice village shop, a direct sales veggie farm + berry winery and a renowned pizza joint (with a less elegant light blue decor from the 70's) are a short drive away - and it's less than an hour from the city we live in.

We're not eager in renovating our summer cabin as we're waiting for a generational change. I just watch Canadian makeovers and sigh. When my parents kick the bucket some time in the unforeseeable future, we move to the neighboring 1920's Jugend (Finnish Art Nouveau) villa with William Morris' wallpapers. We just count our blessings and listen if we still hear my parents snoring. No, seriously, we are blessed and happy. But for now, it's easier not to sleep in same quarters as my mom belongs to the "this remoulade dates a few weeks back - oh, does it really say 7/1996?" and "hey, has anyone seen the rubber band I stored last year?" -generation which someone just wrote about.

Normally we wrap corn in foil with butter, too. Our over-the-counter sausages were actually quite good: meaty and well seasoned with garlic. We've never made our own sausage. The only meat grinder we own is stuck (it belonged to my grandmother).

We often cook bream in the smoker (otherwise it tastes like mud) and barbecue potatoes in foil with onion, garlic, olive oil and spices. Smoked bream leftovers are usually put in a salad with potatoes, (mustard-dill-spirits vinegar-sugar-lemon-sour milk) dressing, russian pickles (cucumber) or fresh cucumber, apple and onion. When we BBQ, it's normally tenderloin medium rare with salt and pepper + grilled/charred potatoes and veggies. I hate the fuss with tomato sauce, dripping cheese, dirty grids and torn scraping brushes. That's why we usually use the electric oven with a lined base plate for juicier stuff like marinated beef and ribs.

In our other, fancier summer place (there are only five million people, 338 440 km² and 100 000 lakes in Finland) we have amenities and a 6 burner with side hobs. Just bragging. My in-laws spend their summer there.
That took me to your summer cabin and a glimpse at rural Finland, and was pretty funny. Cheers and thanks you.:okay:

I love grilled corn on the cob. Fresh corn, shuck, rub with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill direct turning very often to avoid burning, when slightly charred all over tent with foil , after 5 minutes enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom