Gruyère News

No its not just the French: Prosecco can only be made in a very specific area in northern Italy around Valdobbiadene. Cava can only be made in certain areas of Spain. Similar for Port in Porto, Scotch Whisky in Scotland......and that's just the alcohol-related ones :okay:

In the case of Port/Porto, Port or Port Wine seems to come from everywhere. But, if the label says Porto, it must come from that region of Portugal. It is kinda' like Bourbon vs Kentucky Bourbon, or Irish Whiskey, Tennessee Whiskey, etc.

CD

Maybe in the US, but not in Europe. In Europe if it cannot be called "Port" unless is comes from the Porto region in Portugal.

I'm not European, but I don't thank that is right. I think it is just "porto" that is protected. But, I don't really feel like doing the research, so I can't be absolutely certain.

CD

I'm not European, but I don't thank that is right. I think it is just "porto" that is protected. But, I don't really feel like doing the research, so I can't be absolutely certain.

CD
I think we've discussed this before....in the English-speaking countries Porto is the name of the city, Port is the name of the wine. Other countries call it Porto, vin de Porto, Oporto, and a few others too.....they're all PDO protected by the EU.

Full list of protected names: Porto, Port, vinho do Porto, Port Wine, vin de Porto, Oporto, Portvin, Portwein, Portwijn

Are San Marzano tomatoes still protected as product of Italy’s Mount Vesuvius region?

Are San Marzano tomatoes still protected as product of Italy’s Mount Vesuvius region?

Look for the "DOP" wording on the Title. Otherwise, they could be from another country. Or, go with whatever is used or called in the UK, as it is obviously correct. Same with pronunciations. When I joined here, I realized that I've been pronouncing so many words wrong... and spelling a lot of words wrong. :rolleyes:

CD

Yes they are.

Look for the "DOP" wording on the Title. Otherwise, they could be from another country. Or, go with whatever is used or called in the UK, as it is obviously correct.
Sorry if I offended/annoyed you - I guess it was my comment about English speaking countries? What I meant was in the English speaking countries of Europe - I thought that was implicit as I was talking about European regulations, but maybe I wasn't clear.

Same with pronunciations. When I joined here, I realized that I've been pronouncing so many words wrong... and spelling a lot of words wrong. :rolleyes:
As a linguist, I find differences of pronunciation, spelling and vocabulary fascinating....none of it is wrong, only different. Plus language is constantly evolving...so what was correct in the past may not be today, and the correct way today could well change in the future.

Yes they are.

Sorry if I offended/annoyed you - I guess it was my comment about English speaking countries? What I meant was in the English speaking countries of Europe - I thought that was implicit as I was talking about European regulations, but maybe I wasn't clear.

As a linguist, I find differences of pronunciation, spelling and vocabulary fascinating....none of it is wrong, only different. Plus language is constantly evolving...so what was correct in the past may not be today, and the correct way today could well change in the future.

First, you didn't "offend" me.

This is off topic, but when I find out I've been pronouncing a French or Italian, or any other foreign word wrong, I try to correct it. I used to pronounce (and spell) major Italian cities as Turin, Naples and Florence, but went to Italy, and now say (and write) Torino, Napoli and Firenze. I struggle with correct pronunciations of some Asian words because many Asian words use sounds we in the West don't make. Asians have the same problem with Western words, for the same reason.

Likewise, I write Filet, and pronounce it fil-ay, because it is a French word, and I want to use the French spelling and pronunciation. And, I constantly hear British YouTubers pronounce tortilla as "tor-till-ah," instead of "tor-tee-yah." Living in Texas, I am surrounded by Spanish speaking people, and I pronounce tortilla their way.

I pronounce Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania) with a hard "G," but pronounce Edinburgh as it is pronounced in Scotland.

I have absolutely no issues with things like aubergine vs eggplant, or fries vs chips. Two different words for the same thing.

I hear the distant sound of a MG's mod-copter, currently flown by TastyR, about to turn this into a new thread. :laugh:

CD

No its not just the French: Prosecco can only be made in a very specific area in northern Italy around Valdobbiadene. Cava can only be made in certain areas of Spain. Similar for Port in Porto, Scotch Whisky in Scotland......and that's just the alcohol-related ones :okay:
Tequila can only be made in certain areas of Mexico.

But I was not aware that Prosecco can only be made in specific areas - I thought it was a way of getting around having not to call something "Champaigne" that it was a bubbly wine that personally to me tastes better than any Champaigne I've ever tried.

Tequila can only be made in certain areas of Mexico.

Tequila must be distilled from blue agave. When you consider that blue agave only grows naturally in one state in Mexico, it's not hard to protect its distilling into tequila.

BTW, the best selling tequila in the world in Cuervo Gold. Steely Dan even sang about it. It is #$%@#$ nasty. It is drinkable if you make a frozen margarita with it, because the limeade, sugar and brain freeze cover the nastiness of the tequila.

The good stuff is expensive, but oh so worth it.

CD

Tequila must be distilled from blue agave. When you consider that blue agave only grows naturally in one state in Mexico, it's not hard to protect its distilling into tequila.

BTW, the best selling tequila in the world in Cuervo Gold. Steely Dan even sang about it. It is #$%@#$ nasty. It is drinkable if you make a frozen margarita with it, because the limeade, sugar and brain freeze cover the nastiness of the tequila.

The good stuff is expensive, but oh so worth it.

CD
I like Cabo Wabo tequila started by Sammy Hagar.

AF7184D9-3015-4535-B302-9A2ED5F8D6E6.jpeg

I like Cabo Wabo tequila started by Sammy Hagar.

View attachment 97113

That's my favorite. I have been to his Cabo Wabo restaurant and club. Had an outstanding steak and spiny lobster dinner, and saw him play at his club -- fee admission with the expensive but worth it meal. I also met him in Scottsdale at the Barrett Jackson Auction. He was selling his Shelby Mustang -- it came with a case of Cabo Wabo, and the buyer got to drink from a bottle from the trunk (boot) of the car with Sammy. Really cool guy.

CD

I'm not concerned, because I don't consider that stuff to be "beer", let alone champagne of beers!! :laugh::laugh:but then, lots of companies make outrageous claims which are often never challenged. Carlsberg "Probably the Best Beer in the World". SERIOUSLY????? The stuff smells like cat vomit. Remember McD's "100% Beef" ? Additionally, many of these slogans were coined many years ago, when "authenticity" was perhaps less important. "Whatever the Pleasure, Player's Complete It" was a cigarette ad many years ago!

Back
Top Bottom