Gruyère News

Belgium crushes 2,000 cans of Miller High Life over ‘champagne of beers’ slogan

Not Gruyere but same topic. This time I'm wondering why we've to destroy cans that would be totally working, that's a lot of thrash

Hey, Kid Rock recently shot up several cases of Bud Light with an AR-15 because the brand sponsors an "online influencer" who is Transgender. Now, I can certainly see shooting a bunch of cans of Bud Light (recycling the cans, of course) but because it is bad beer (same with Miller High Life), not because you have a corncob up your a$$ about trans people.

CD

I'm not concerned, because I don't consider that stuff to be "beer", let alone champagne of beers!! :laugh::laugh:but then, lots of companies make outrageous claims which are often never challenged. Carlsberg "Probably the Best Beer in the World". SERIOUSLY????? The stuff smells like cat vomit. Remember McD's "100% Beef" ? Additionally, many of these slogans were coined many years ago, when "authenticity" was perhaps less important. "Whatever the Pleasure, Player's Complete It" was a cigarette ad many years ago!

From the Miller Historical Society...

In 1906, Frederick Miller came up with a premium beer and held a contest to name it. With its high level of carbonation and clear color, similar to that of Champagne, the winning name that was chosen was Miller High Life, with the slogan, “The Champagne of Bottled Beer.” Originally bottled in mini “champagne” bottles to set it apart from other beers, Miller High Life is the longest running product from Miller Brewery. The unique tradition carries on, usually being sold in clear, oddly-shaped bottles with a distinctive gold and white label.

CD

We already sell parmesan that’s made here labeled as such. I think we stop with labeling US Parmesan as “Parmigiano-Reggiano,” but “parmesan” is perfectly ok here.

Same thing with cheddar, and I think the argument they’re making (meaning the US cheese makers) is that to the US consumer, “gruyere” is a type of cheese, not a location-specific cheese, so it doesn’t make sense to call it something else, as it would just be confusing.

As a US consumer, if I want a gruyere style cheese, I don’t want to have to fuss with knowing that this one from Switzerland is called this name, and that one from the US is called that name, and this third one from Canada is called something else. I just want to know what fits inside that taste profile of what a Gruyère cheese is “supposed” to be, and I’ll make my choice based on a combination of taste and price.

Unfortunately, the underlying problem is that calling a product - in this case Parmesan as Parmigiano Reggiano - causes misunderstandings about the original product. It is not only a matter of national pride, but it is a real damage both economically and in terms of credibility. I often read 'Italian Parmesan'. A real misappropriation.

Unfortunately, the underlying problem is that calling a product - in this case Parmesan as Parmigiano Reggiano - causes misunderstandings about the original product. It is not only a matter of national pride, but it is a real damage both economically and in terms of credibility. I often read 'Italian Parmesan'. A real misappropriation.

We can get everything from cheap "parmesan" to Parmigiano Reggiano in the US, even in most grocery stores. My local supermarket even stocks a full wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano that they cut into wedges to sell. Apparently they sell enough of it to justify to cost of a full wheel, and still make a profit.

CD

Take comfort in the fact that Gruyere copies made in the U.S. are inferior to the Swiss made cheese. They are less expensive, of course and also good. Identical? No, but good in their own way. A lot of Champaign is made in California and even New York. It is also inferior to the true Champaign made in France. I was once a dinner guest long ago of Moet & Chandon. That was a fine feast and the wine was outstanding.

We do have locally made "Gruyere", but the most common imitations are Italian cheeses: Parmigiano, Pecorino, Caciocavallo, Mozzarella, Ricotta, Burrata. There's a huge Italian community here and the Parmesan, I have to admit, is getting better and better. Of course, it will never be "Parmigiano Reggiano" but it's going to come very close.
Same goes for Spanish "cavas" and Italian "proseccos".

A lot of Champaign is made in California and even New York. It is also inferior to the true Champaign made in France. I was once a dinner guest long ago of Moet & Chandon. That was a fine feast and the wine was outstanding.

Champagne is not made anywhere other than the Champagne region of France. Elsewhere, it is labeled as sparkling wine or whatever regional name is used. Even in France, champagne can ONLY be labeled as such if it was produced in the Champagne region. The US finally accepted France's internationally trademarked Champage back in the early 2000s.

Sparkling wine made in the U.S. is labeled as such; though, due to a loophole in trademark laws, it can, in a very few cases, be labeled as champagne, but it must also be labeled as California or American Champagne, etc., not just Champagne.

Last edited:
Champagne is not made anywhere other than the Champagne region of France. Elsewhere, it is labeled as sparkling wine or whatever regional name is used. Even in France, champagne can ONLY be labeled as such if it was produced in the Champagne region. The US finally accepted France's internationally trademarked Champage back in the early 2000s.

Sparkling wine made in the U.S. is labeled as such; though, due to a loophole in trademark laws, it can, in a very few cases, be labeled as champagne, but it must also be labeled as California or American Champagne, etc., not just Champagne.

Yeah, California sparkling wines used to often be called champagne, but that went way, for the most part. I didn't recall when, but I guess it was the early 2000s, as you say.

CD

Last edited:
but it must also be labeled as California or American Champagne, etc., not just Champagne.
The vineyard a few miles from my house doesn’t follow that restriction:

IMG_4579.jpeg

That's interesting. The US signed the pact agreeing to France's limitation on the use of the word champagne. I wonder if it's because it's a small local winery and they have just not been noticed.

Part of the agreement was that if the vineyard had been using the word champagne before a certain date they could continue, just with the additional word(s) making it clear that the wine wasn't true French champagne.

Just looked at their website. It's listed as Champagne - American sparkling wine, and there's no picture of the bottle.
I’ll check the store next time I’m in - maybe that’s an old pic.

BTW, we drove by there this evening - they were packed (as usual). They do a big outdoor cook-your-own-steak thing that’s crazy popular here.

I’ll check the store next time I’m in - maybe that’s an old pic.

BTW, we drove by there this evening - they were packed (as usual). They do a big outdoor cook-your-own-steak thing that’s crazy popular here.

I've never understood the whole paying to cook your own steak thing. :scratchhead:

There are places (Texas Roadhouse?) that let you pick your steak from the meat counter, but then they cook it. I like that.

CD

Back
Top Bottom