Haggis and other Scottish Foods

Whatever you get just go with it. The 'full English' Ulster fry' Scottish etc etc are all variations on a theme - you may get black pudding, white pudding [quite common in the north of England too] haggis or square sausage. You may be offered tinned tomatoes [if so just leave] but almost all other combinations are acceptable - just enjoy. :happy::hungry:

Ahh, other Scottish dishes. If you want to talk about unhealthy, forget the square sausage (always gave me more or less instantaneous serious indigestion), forget fish suppers and you can even forget deep fried mars bars. The great Scottish speciality? Stovies. Essentially mashed potato soaked in fat. Hmm hmm hmm.

What about cullen skink (haddock and potato soup), scotch broth, cranachan (raspberries and oatmeal dessert) and black bun (fruit cake in pastry)?

(We'll gloss over the deep fried mars bar!)
I misread that as cillen skunk.

My wife and I visited Scotland (her maiden name is Henderson), and had haggis in Edinburgh. We loved it. But, the next morning, we were feeling sick to our stomach. It could have been all the beer we had on our "tour" of Rose Street, but I suspect it was something to do with not being familiar with stomach in our stomachs (I know, it's really all the other goodies that our digestive systems haven't seen before). Still, I would have it again if given the chance.

My wife and I visited Scotland (her maiden name is Henderson), and had haggis in Edinburgh. We loved it. But, the next morning, we were feeling sick to our stomach. It could have been all the beer we had on our "tour" of Rose Street, but I suspect it was something to do with not being familiar with stomach in our stomachs (I know, it's really all the other goodies that our digestive systems haven't seen before). Still, I would have it again if given the chance.

I have a lot of things to taste in Scotland, starting from black pudding for breakfast. My husband is intrigued to try haggis....mmm...first I'll see the effects on him, and then maybe I'll decide what to do :D..

I know I'm resurrecting a 5 year old thread but having recently returned from Scotland, I have to say my favorite two dishes I had were Cullen Skink and, well, anything with Haggis (whether it be breakfast or with Neeps & Taties)!
I fully plan to try my hand at making Cullen Skink, just as soon as I make my next batch of smoked fish. I don't catch Haddock, but I catch a variety of other fish that take to smoking very well.

Brave man for eating all those bits of minced up sheep :hyper: :hyper:
The soup´s great, though - as are smoked haddock, smoked salmon...and kippers!

Brave man for eating all those bits of minced up sheep :hyper: :hyper:
The soup´s great, though - as are smoked haddock, smoked salmon...and kippers!
YES! and I figure that here in Florida, I could use either Mullet or a member of the Mackerel family (Spanish/Cero/King) for the soup if I brine and smoke them appropriately.

I know I'm resurrecting a 5 year old thread but having recently returned from Scotland, I have to say my favorite two dishes I had were Cullen Skink and, well, anything with Haggis (whether it be breakfast or with Neeps & Taties)!
I fully plan to try my hand at making Cullen Skink, just as soon as I make my next batch of smoked fish. I don't catch Haddock, but I catch a variety of other fish that take to smoking very well.

I love haggis too and any kind of smoked fish. I think its great that you tried those things.

Mackerel would work. Kippers are just smoked herrings, and herrings are oily fish.
KIPPERS in my household are: kids in parents' pockets eroding retirement savings. We have none at the moment, thankfully. We have had a few boomerang children over the years but not recently :laugh:

Whatever you get just go with it. The 'full English' Ulster fry' Scottish etc etc are all variations on a theme - you may get black pudding, white pudding [quite common in the north of England too] haggis or square sausage. You may be offered tinned tomatoes [if so just leave] but almost all other combinations are acceptable - just enjoy. :happy::hungry:
Do I even want to know what white pudding is?

Back
Top Bottom