Recipe Hashbrown Casserole

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
6:46 AM
HASHBROWN CASSEROLE
Makes 6-8 servings

NOTE: This is a copycat recipe for Cracker Barrel's hashbrown casserole (probably their signature dish, if they have one).

Ingredients
2 lbs frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 (10.75oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped fine
1/4 cup margarine, melted
2 cups (8 oz) colby cheese*, shredded
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F

Combine everything except the hashbrowns in a large bowl. Add in the thawed hashbrowns and mix well.

Put into a 9"x13" baking pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Broil for a few minutes if desired.

Recipe courtesy of Crouton Crackerjacks (YT), and validated by my niece, a Cracker Barrel cook for six years.

*Colby cheese is what Cracker Barrel uses. Cheddar would be a fine substitute.

Picture is crap because everyone ate it before I could get a snap.

before I could. . .

amazing isn't it.... 1 sec to punch up the camera phone, 1/125 sec exposure, but it's gone before captured . . .

how would you adapt this for fresh grated potato vs frozen patties?

before I could. . .

amazing isn't it.... 1 sec to punch up the camera phone, 1/125 sec exposure, but it's gone before captured . . .

how would you adapt this for fresh grated potato vs frozen patties?
I'd probably squeeze the living crap out of the potatoes, then par-cook them in the microwave.

I've substituted fresh grated potatoes for frozen hashbrowns before. I just salted and peppered them, tossed them to distribute, then let them sit for 15-20 minutes while in a colander, then squeezed the living crap out of them as Tasty so eloquently put it, and they worked just fine, didn't have to parcook them. The salt helps to pull enough of the moisture out and then the squeezing gets rid of nearly all of it. You'll be surprised at how much liquid comes out on its own just with the salting.

My experience with hash browns is nil. From scratch to frozen, they always fall apart. Last box of 20 I ruined about half of them, I'm not giving up yet.

Russ

My experience with hash browns is nil. From scratch to frozen, they always fall apart. Last box of 20 I ruined about half of them, I'm not giving up yet.

Russ

Real hash browns from scratch (and not part of a casserole) do fall apart. Those hash browns formed into shapes are fast food restaurant hash browns in the US. What you find at a good sit-down breakfast diner/restaurant will be loose, shredded potatoes fried in butter. There is no binder -- just shredded potatoes.

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 1.37.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 1.36.25 AM.png

CD

Real hash browns from scratch (and not part of a casserole) do fall apart. Those hash browns formed into shapes are fast food restaurant hash browns in the US. What you find at a good sit-down breakfast diner/restaurant will be loose, shredded potatoes fried in butter. There is no binder -- just shredded potatoes.

View attachment 65843

View attachment 65844

CD

Only ever had hash browns from a bag that keeps appearing in my freezer, this look much better, I assume it is potato and onion mixed?

View attachment 65843

View attachment 65844

CD

Nothing like your pics. I even tried them in the toaster, wife says that's how they do the at her work, wtf? At least I tried.
I'll just go 50/50 from now on.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom