• 2 tblsp Butter
  • 2 tsp Garlic, pureed
  • 2 tsp Paprika
  • 1 tsp Ground cumin seeds
  • ½ tsp Chilli powder
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Olive oil plus a little more
Method

Wash and scrub the potatoes. Preheat the oven to 200 degC.

Skewer each potato length wise in turn about 10 mm from the side. Place a potato on the cutting board and using a sharp knife thinly slice each potato as far as the skewer ensuring that you do not cut all the way through. Repeat for each potato.

Microwave all the potatoes for a total of 10 minutes.

Remove and place in a baking dish or tray, cut side up, brush with a little olive oil and cook in a pre-heated oven for 45 minutes at 200 degC.

Meanwhile combine the ingredients for the spice topping, mix well and stir fry gently in a small pan for about 5 minutes. Allow to cool.

Remove the potatoes from the oven and brush the spice mixture over the potatoes and carefully push some of the mixture between the slices.

Return the potatoes to the oven and bake for a further 15 minutes or until brown and crispy.

Last edited:
What? No mustard? Oh wait, that was last month's challenge...:giggle:

In all seriousness, what a great recipe.

I was thinking if you used the same technique with some baby Yukon potatoes, you could add the potatoes to a en Papillote recipe.

I've tried potatoes 'en papillote' many times and it just doesn't seem to work. They take too long to cook.
You are right. Potatoes are a challenge when it comes to en Papillote. In my limited experience with this cooking method, you have to use "almost fully cooked" potatoes. That is why I was thinking of using @Yorky Hasselback potatoes inside of the paper packet. By using fully cooked baby potatoes, you could leave enough room for the main entree.

Nice pics Yorky, mine are slightly different after making these for years, I always look to make these easier, I cut a slice off the bottom to make the potato able to sit on its base without moving, I then use 2 salad spoons with 10 mm handles. I place these either side of potato so I can cut safely without cutting through the potato. Make sense????

Russ

Nice pics Yorky, mine are slightly different after making these for years, I always look to make these easier, I cut a slice off the bottom to make the potato able to sit on its base without moving, I then use 2 salad spoons with 10 mm handles. I place these either side of potato so I can cut safely without cutting through the potato. Make sense????

Russ

Yeah - makes perfect sense.

Russ

That's virtually word for word what my original recipe said. However, I now find the skewer method easier and less problematic (I don't have two salad spoons; I don't even have one)..

See here: https://freebeerforyorky.com/Spuds.html#Hasslebacks

Back
Top Bottom