Have you ever cooked fish on the grill or over a campfire?

Cooking fish outdoors makes sense to me. I have had it on camping trips, but always in a pan. I've never eaten it cooked right on the grill, but it sounds really good.

I've also heard of people wrapping it in heavy duty foil and cooking it the campfire coals.

Have you tried any of these methods?

Can't say that I have. I've seen it being done though. :wink:

We had a camping overnight last May for my niece's birthday. One of the prepared dishes was fresh fish to be grilled. Wrapped in foil, the charcoal cooked the fish in 15 minutes. Although the children didn't relish the fish, it was a hit with the adults especially with the lemon butter dip that we had prepared for it.

I have never cooked fish on an outdoor grill myself, but I have tried it on many occasions when travelling abroad. One of the best holiday food memories I have is of a boat trip in Greece. Food and drink were included in the trip and the main part of the food served was fish and seafood cooked on a grill on the deck. It was absolutely delicious with a completely different flavour to when I cook the same food at home myself.

Yes, I have cooked fish on the grill. It Is my preferred way to make salmon as their is virtually no odor, or whatever odor there is is aborbed into the air. It does not take long on the grill, and I usually cook it on a piece of aluminum foil. I know some people use cedar planks to cook salmon on the grill, as it is supposed to give it a unique flavor.

I have had fish cooked on a grill on a number of different occasions. We usually do it in the foil with onions, salt, pepper and lemon. It is so good that way. It is also good pan fried over a fire. I am not a big fish eater but I do enjoy it when it is prepared over a grill or an opened fire.

If the fish has a thicker skin I might grill it straight on top of hot burning coals otherwise I would use a tin foil. The foil will also help keep the flavors together avoiding drips and charring. We enjoy and love the experience of grilling outdoors.

I sometimes like my fished smoked so we skewer it with a bamboo stick and stick it near a fireplace or have a friend store it in their smokehouse. Sun-dried fish is also a great way to preserve flavor and taste, just add a little salt and you can keep the fish for many days. I've tried grilling tilapia, red snapper and tuna-- it's the juiciest way to cook fish if you ask me.

I haven't cooked, or more specifically grilled fish, outdoors but I have grilled, broiled, roasted, and pan fried it indoors with pretty good success. If you plan on grilling it though you need to go with a fish that is firm enough and sturdy enough to hold up to grilling, such as a salmon or tuna, or for a white fish something like a "chilean sea bass" or a thick piece of haddock would work well.

Pretty much all cooking methods mentioned above are pretty straightforward, brush or rub down the fish with some oil and season with whatever you like. On a salmon, I like something like a garlic pepper seasoning along with some dried rosemary. On haddock, I just hit it with some salt, pepper, and paprika, then brush it with some melted butter right after it's done cooking.

One of my favorite ways to make fish is to broil it, but you have to keep an eye on it and watch out for flare ups from the oil under the broiler. If you happen to be lucky enough to have a salamander (it's an open face broiler, often found in restaurants), it's even easier since you can watch it cooking the whole time.

I would avoid the frozen fish though, since it's often soaked in a salt solution to plump it up, which causes it to break down the meat and make it mushy when thawed. Plus they often shrink down to almost nothing when cooked. Also, be sure to pat the fish dry before adding the oil, so it sticks to it.

If wrapping it in packets of foil, also try to avoid acids such as lemon or tomato which will react to the foil and leave a funny taste. They do however make foil with parchment lining on one side. I've not tried it over a grill, but it works fine in an oven. Also, non-stick coated foil should be fine too, but it's a bit pricey.

Back
Top Bottom