Have You Ever Made Cheese?

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
9:31 AM
I watched an episode of a cooking show where cheese was made. I'd like to try it at some point, but I'm not sure exactly what I'd need, or what steps are involved. It's been a while since I saw the show, so I figured I'd ask about it here, since no doubt someone on this forum has made cheese. If I recall correctly, it was some sort of soft cheese. Can someone tell me how to go about doing this, or does someone at least have a tried and true recipe?

I watched an episode of a cooking show where cheese was made. I'd like to try it at some point, but I'm not sure exactly what I'd need, or what steps are involved. It's been a while since I saw the show, so I figured I'd ask about it here, since no doubt someone on this forum has made cheese. If I recall correctly, it was some sort of soft cheese. Can someone tell me how to go about doing this, or does someone at least have a tried and true recipe?

I have never made cheese, however, I have made yogurt. Yogurt is pretty simple to do, and as I recall, all you need is an active culture, and some milk. Maybe I will do it again, as it is probably money saving. I was at a Christmas party one time, and someone brought cheese that had been made at their commune. It was extremely intense and strong. I would not make cheese if it all tastes like that! I imagine, it depends largely on the type of cheese made and the animal though. I am sure goats milk cheese would be mild.

Its very easy to make a soft cheese. The simplest recipe: warm up milk in a pan to blood temperature and add a big squirt of lemon juice. Turn off heat. It will form curds. Strain through a cloth and you have your cheese.

I'll post a proper recipe tomorrow (too late now!).

I don't know about cheese and I have no intention of making cheese. But in the province one time, I was able to witness how they make the white cottage cheese. They mix carabao mik and salt to make that desired formula and leave it overnight. The white part would become a gel and the rest would be water. That white gel is the cottage cheese that they wrap in banana leaves and piled in a row for selling. However, the life of that white cottage cheese is only 2 days and lasts a week when refrigerated.

I have never made cheese, however, I have made yogurt. Yogurt is pretty simple to do, and as I recall, all you need is an active culture, and some milk. Maybe I will do it again, as it is probably money saving. I was at a Christmas party one time, and someone brought cheese that had been made at their commune. It was extremely intense and strong. I would not make cheese if it all tastes like that! I imagine, it depends largely on the type of cheese made and the animal though. I am sure goats milk cheese would be mild.

Haha, I think I'll stay away from the intense and strong homemade ones, that sounds scary. I'm sure if they knew what they were doing it was o.k., but I'd still be a bit leery. Yogurt is something I hadn't considered, but that could also prove interesting. I'm going to see what @morning glory posts when she's more awake, I trust her recipes and expertise :).

@Corzhens I'm glad you mentioned how long it lasts, because that's something I'll have to take into consideration when deciding how much to try making. I'm sure I'll try a small batch at first anyway, but even later on, it's good to know that information.

I double checked, and I still have my sieves. I ordered jelly bags the other day. I can't wait until they arrive, and I get the ingredients, so I can make my first batch of ricotta! I want to try it a few times before Christmas, so hopefully I can perfect the firmness, and make the ricotta pie that my mom used to make for the holidays.

I double checked, and I still have my sieves. I ordered jelly bags the other day. I can't wait until they arrive, and I get the ingredients, so I can make my first batch of ricotta! I want to try it a few times before Christmas, so hopefully I can perfect the firmness, and make the ricotta pie that my mom used to make for the holidays.
I'm sure it will turn out just fine. Its quite easy really. People are very impressed when you say you made it yourself! Let us know how it goes.

I had no idea on how to make a cheese and honestly I don't think I cannot make this one even if there is a recipe and I will not be successful in making a home made cheese. But of course it is very fulfilling if you can make it on your own.

I had no idea on how to make a cheese and honestly I don't think I cannot make this one even if there is a recipe and I will not be successful in making a home made cheese. But of course it is very fulfilling if you can make it on your own.
Its much easier than you could ever image! The recipe is hardly even a recipe!

I tried it a few times with no luck. Apparently what many people fail to mention is that the ultra pasteurized milk we commonly get at the grocery store doesn't work well for making cheese. Ideally you need the freshest milk you can get, and preferably not pasteurized at all if possible. But it's illegal to sell that across the US as far as I'ma ware of.

When I've tried it in the past with lemon juice and cheese cloth, the milk will kind of curdle a little, but it won't form together like a cheese ball or even cottage cheese. I think it has something to do with the pasteurization process breaking up the fat particles too much in the milk.

Incidentally though I have seen people make butter at home in their food processor with heavy cream, by just letting it whirr until it forms into a ball.

No I have not but since everyone says it's so easy I will consider it for some time in the future. I have an addiction to our Vegetarian Cheddar cheese so I would only try to make my own to say I tried it and impress my friends and family.

I made my ricotta cheese over the weekend, and it was pretty easy. I received the jelly bags just in time to put them to use. The recipe didn't state how much product it yielded, and so I ended up quickly pouring it into another larger pan, but I wasn't prepared for that, and used the nearest large pan, which turned out to have a bumpy bottom. Next time I'll use a smooth bottomed pan, because bits of the curd settled in the valleys and got more cooked, so they were a slightly darker color. It didn't matter to me because it was a test batch just for me, but if I were serving it to others, I'd like it to be monochrome.

Here's a picture of how mine looked. I made a huge pan of rigatoni with ground beef and sauce, and folded most of the ricotta into that. It was yummy. I made crepes and mixed the rest of the ricotta in with finely chopped pineapple and a tiny bit of cream cheese, and stuffed the crepes with the mixture. Oops that's not my picture, but it pretty much looked the same. I think mine's on mobile not the computer, but regardless, it looks very similar to how mine came out.

Attachments

• ricotta cheese.jpg
    ricotta cheese.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 269
The only cheese I have made is Ricotta cheese. It is so simple and easy to come out of the kitchen successful. I loved the texture compared to the store bought brands. It is as simple as pouring whole milk into a pot, bringing it to a simmer, and pouring a bit if white vinegar into the pot. It will quickly create curds and the water and milk will separate. Once you stir it through a few times, you can either strain it through a cheesecloth or use paper towels in a strainer. It works like a charm!

Back
Top Bottom