Have You Ever Made Cheese?

I've tried to make cheese in the past before. I failed miserably and pretty much wasted my money which was my own fault in the end. You have to know what you are doing when committing to something like this because you will only cause yourself to lose out in the end if you mess up.

@Diane Lane
I have not yet tried to make cheese myself, but growing up in a Portuguese family, my grandparents always made goat or cows milk cheese. There are many recipes online for DIY cheese, from ricotta to goat cheese. If you want to learn about making cheese and finding the recipe, I recommend visiting Pinterest. Below are a couple of sites with recipes on how to DIY cheese which I found through Pinterest. Good Luck

https://diygiftworld.com/farmers-cheese-recipe-the-easiest-cheese-to-make/
http://www.fromscratchmag.com/make-cheese/
http://thewhoot.com.au/whoot-news/recipes/homemade-mozzarella-cheese

My mum and me once tried to make some cheese but we failed. :( We made some mistake somewhere in the process. We lost the recipe so I could not type it here. But, we successfully make sour milk. Once you cook your milk, leave it to get colder, but not completely cold. Then, take a spoonful of yogurt you buy in the story usually, and just put it in the metal bowl or a pot, and mix for a minute in a circle. You leave it overnight, with the cover on, wrapped in a blanket. Make sure it is in a warm place. We have been doing this for ages, and we love the sour milk in the morning, Then, you can put it in a fridge and keep it there for a few days.

You know what this is something I'd like to do when I'm old and retired. I love food, I love cooking but with work, family and relationships I don't I have enough time to make my own cheese from scratch so I'll stick to the market variety for now. No doubt about it though I'll make my own cheese someday and I'm thinking feta.

I make my own paneer in small quantities (enough for me for 3 or 4 days). I heat 1 litre of whole milk (pasteurised but not UHT) in a large saucepan on a high heat. As soon as the milk starts to rise in the pan, I take it off the heat and add 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of white vinegar, return to a medium heat and spoon off the curds as they form into a cheesecloth strainer over a large bowl to collect the whey. When the curds are removed from the pan, I add another squeeze of white vinegar and bring to the boil again, which usually produces some more curds. I then pour through it the whey left in the pan. The curds are then wrapped in the cheesecloth and filtered water is poured over it (I tie the cloth to one of my taps so the water drains straight down the sink!). Let it drain for about 20 minutes, then place the wrapped curds on a worktop. Place a heavy weight on top of the wrapped curds and leave for at least 45 minutes. Unwrap, place in a container and store in the fridge. I have used lemon juice instead of white vinegar, which seems to produce a slightly softer cheese.

As the paneer has a rather bland taste, I drizzle olive oil over it and sprinkle chopped red or green peppers on it and serve with a large chunk of homemade bread. I also use the paneer in sandwiches with a couple of spoonfuls of nice, tangy pickle.

The whey will keep nicely in the fridge, and I use it in bread- or pancake-making.

I make my own paneer in small quantities (enough for me for 3 or 4 days). I heat 1 litre of whole milk (pasteurised but not UHT) in a large saucepan on a high heat. As soon as the milk starts to rise in the pan, I take it off the heat and add 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of white vinegar, return to a medium heat and spoon off the curds as they form into a cheesecloth strainer over a large bowl to collect the whey. When the curds are removed from the pan, I add another squeeze of white vinegar and bring to the boil again, which usually produces some more curds. I then pour through it the whey left in the pan. The curds are then wrapped in the cheesecloth and filtered water is poured over it (I tie the cloth to one of my taps so the water drains straight down the sink!). Let it drain for about 20 minutes, then place the wrapped curds on a worktop. Place a heavy weight on top of the wrapped curds and leave for at least 45 minutes. Unwrap, place in a container and store in the fridge. I have used lemon juice instead of white vinegar, which seems to produce a slightly softer cheese.

As the paneer has a rather bland taste, I drizzle olive oil over it and sprinkle chopped red or green peppers on it and serve with a large chunk of homemade bread. I also use the paneer in sandwiches with a couple of spoonfuls of nice, tangy pickle.

The whey will keep nicely in the fridge, and I use it in bread- or pancake-making.

Yes. I posted a recipe as a result of this thread. Its a bit similar to yours: Simple white cheese . Its the stage before you press it to make paneer. Its great to use paneer in curry recipes. I posted one recently:
Recipe Pumpkin, Paneer and Green Bean Curry. Brilliant that you use the whey. I know one can, but I usually end up draining it away with a slightly guilty feeling because my fridge is already too full of stuff I intend to use. :laugh:

Yes. I posted a recipe as a result of this thread. Its a bit similar to yours: Simple white cheese . Its the stage before you press it to make paneer. Its great to use paneer in curry recipes. I posted one recently:
Recipe Pumpkin, Paneer and Green Bean Curry. Brilliant that you use the whey. I know one can, but I usually end up draining it away with a slightly guilty feeling because my fridge is already too full of stuff I intend to use. :laugh:
I didn't see your cheese recipe, presumably because I was looking more specifically for paneer and there are quite a few threads. I like the pumpkin recipe and I've saved it. I suppose it would be OK to use butternut squash as they are very similar. Must admit I haven't seen paneer in my local tesco although it is on their online site. Also on sainsburys site. It might be better to buy some commercially made paneer as I don't think my home-made would be up to cutting into cubes.

I didn't see your cheese recipe, presumably because I was looking more specifically for paneer and there are quite a few threads. I like the pumpkin recipe and I've saved it. I suppose it would be OK to use butternut squash as they are very similar. Must admit I haven't seen paneer in my local tesco although it is on their online site. Also on sainsburys site. It might be better to buy some commercially made paneer as I don't think my home-made would be up to cutting into cubes.
Butternut squash is fine. I don't know if my home-made paneer would stand up to it either. I thought the Tesco one was a bit too rubbery... haven't tried Sainsbury's one. I may have another go at home-made to see how hard a set I can get.

I've never even tried it. I just know that I would mess up. I'll probably try to when I'm a better cook though.

Butternut squash is fine. I don't know if my home-made paneer would stand up to it either. I thought the Tesco one was a bit too rubbery... haven't tried Sainsbury's one. I may have another go at home-made to see how hard a set I can get.
I found the weights from my old kitchen scales - 5 1/2 kg is about right for home-made paneer made with up to 2 pints of milk (still a bit crumbly round the edges though :D)

Back
Top Bottom