Help us choose 'Dish of the month' for August (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I am willing to try. I just haven't eaten it since my childhood, my mom made it in a way I didn't like and I had to eat it anyway. Thus I decided to not eat it as an adult, but there must be good ones out there.
It's so customizable. I like seafood quiche with mushrooms, onion and asparagus and Asiago cheese, but there are just so many possibilities for ingredients to choose from! I think I remember you saying you couldn't have mushrooms. But lots of veggies and chicken with just about any kind of cheese would be nice. I know you like eggs and cream, and in a pie crust shell with other ingredients you love, just so yummy!

I'm really leaning towards the quiche now, lol.

Last edited:
It's so customizable. I like seafood quiche with mushrooms, onion and asparagus and Asiago cheese, but there are just so many possibilities for ingredients to choose from! I think I remember you saying you couldn't have mushrooms. But lots of veggies and chicken with just about any kind of cheese would be nice. I know you like eggs and cream, and in a pie crust shell with other ingredients you love, just so yummy!

I'm really leaning towards the quiche now, lol.
Yeah, quiche rocks and so does sushi but reluctant to order either simply because I can count on one hand the times either was actually eatable. Both do require some skill even though the basic principles are easy.

Yeah, quiche rocks and so does sushi but reluctant to order either simply because I can count on one hand the times either was actually eatable. Both do require some skill even though the basic principles are easy.
I've only ever ordered quiche at a restaurant maybe twice in my life and both times it was just okay. I taught myself how to make it many years ago and it always has turned out great.

I've had good experiences with sushi at restaurants. It's not easy to roll at home and of course sourcing safe-to-eat raw fish might be challenging for some.

I've only ever ordered quiche at a restaurant maybe twice in my life and both times it was just okay. I taught myself how to make it many years ago and it always has turned out great.

I've had good experiences with sushi at restaurants. It's not easy to roll at home and of course sourcing safe-to-eat raw fish might be challenging for some.
It's the rice, almost no one understands this except maybe a "real" sushi chef. Unfortunately I was trained to make sushi by a very accomplished sushi chef so now I'm just jaded. Quiche, well to me it's like cheesecake, most look good but looks are very deceiving. Cheers.

It's the rice, almost no one understands this except maybe a "real" sushi chef. Unfortunately I was trained to make sushi by a very accomplished sushi chef so now I'm just jaded. Quiche, well to me it's like cheesecake, most look good but looks are very deceiving. Cheers.
That's cool you were properly trained, I wasn't, lol. But, we have a good friend who owns a sushi restaurant and we have several other great sushi restaurants in my city.

I buy my sushi rice at a local Asian market. I use rice wine vinegar and sugar and I cook the rice properly. It's the actual rolling in the bamboo mat that's tricky for me. My handrolls turn out fine.

I've no problems with my quiche and now I'm craving it!

Yeah, I am willing to try. I just haven't eaten it since my childhood, my mom made it in a way I didn't like and I had to eat it anyway. Thus I decided to not eat it as an adult, but there must be good ones out there.
Have to note here - yes, I have had bad quiches and bad sushi (the latter had far too much rice, I'm not talking about gas station old fish sushi or such.).

But I also remember steering clear of samosas for years and years. I had an Indian co-worker who'd bring them in every time we had a work lunch pot luck. I hated them.

Turned out I hated HERS. Three years ago more or less (pre-COVID) I ate wonderful samosas made by someone else (also from India). I am sorry I ignored them for so long!

Anyhow, count me in for quiche or sushi. I've made both but looking to expand on either.

PS - Sushi doesn't need to mean raw fish. There's cooked fish types, and there's vegetarian/vegan types. The word "sushi" actually just refers to the rice preparation itself in Japan.

Do savoury tarts have to include egg? I do a mushroom tart, it's savoury and doesn't use egg.
Sure you can, tarts can be great without eggs but a lightness imo does Trump denser versions for me, so a cream and or a cheese like ricotta for example works well where eggs are omitted, but it still comes down to individual taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom