How adventurous are you?

I count 34. I haven't had squirrel, durian, brains, chicken feet, or a century egg. Of all the items on the list, the only one that made me stop was squirrel. I mean, really...were would you find this unless you're setting traps in your yard? And then, what are the odds you'll be able to eat it without getting horribly sick from some weird disease?

The others aren't things I'm actively avoiding. If I happen to be in a restaurant that has them on the menu, I will order it just so I can try it.

the only one that made me stop was squirrel. I mean, really...were would you find this unless you're setting traps in your yard? And then, what are the odds you'll be able to eat it without getting horribly sick from some weird disease?
We ate plenty of squirrel growing up, it was my grandad’s favorite meat, bar none.

We never trapped a squirrel, we always shot them. Living rurally on densely wooded land, we didn’t have to walk far to find them. Even now, with the scant line of trees around my yard today, I can see three to five squirrels out running around on any given day.

I don’t see why a squirrel should have any weird diseases, at least no more than a rabbit (or any other undomesticated animal), and a rabbit is gourmet eating to a lot of folks. We also ate plenty of that, and groundhog. Those critters mainly eat nuts and seeds and stuff like that, so they’re usually fine.

We ate plenty of squirrel growing up, it was my grandad’s favorite meat, bar none.

We never trapped a squirrel, we always shot them. Living rurally on densely wooded land, we didn’t have to walk far to find them. Even now, with the scant line of trees around my yard today, I can see three to five squirrels out running around on any given day.

I don’t see why a squirrel should have any weird diseases, at least no more than a rabbit (or any other undomesticated animal), and a rabbit is gourmet eating to a lot of folks. We also ate plenty of that, and groundhog. Those critters mainly eat nuts and seeds and stuff like that, so they’re usually fine.

Very interesting. And, now that I think of it, I'm grouping squirrel with other rodents, which tend to carry diseases.

I've never eaten squirrel, but would. Especially if I hunted them. I could actually use my dad's old .22 rifle with light load shells.

As for disease, I wouldn't go eating squirrel tartar, or a medium rare squirrel burger, but cook it for hours in a stew, and I reckon all the nasties would be dead.

CD

And, now that I think of it, I'm grouping squirrel with other rodents, which tend to carry diseases.
Back in the late-90’s (I think), when we had that break-out of mad cow disease, they did issue warnings for parts of our state (and adjoining states), recommending squirrel brains be avoided, as they’re still eaten regularly in certain areas.

That is quite an achievement as there seem to be only 7 items listed which are vegan/vegetarian. Maybe that's an interesting thing in itself - most things regarded as 'difficult' are not vegetables or fruit but fish and meat.
I was brought up to eat anything put in front of me. I didn't turn vegetarian until almost 12 years old, so things like worms (oddly not on the list), blood sausage, tripe, raw fish, and so on were eaten before then. I was the kid at primary school on free school meals and happy to trade steak for extra kidney when other kids wouldn't eat kidney (no prizes for guessing the dish). I got more to eat that way and for 3 or 4 years my only cooked meal was the few school lunch. I've memories of my mother not eating to ensure we had at least a round of toast for our evening meal.

Rabbit, squirrel and a few others were on survival training (I used to 'hang out' with a lot of current and ex special forces)...

TastyReuben how would Grand-dad or ma for that matter, prepare squirrel?
Same way as rabbit most of the time - dusted in flour and pan-fried, and gravy made from the drippings.

Sometimes in a stew, though, and I do remember once my mom made him a squirrel potpie.

He loved the brains, too.

Back
Top Bottom