How adventurous are you?

How do you say A-hole in Japanese? That is what many of the charter dive boat captains want to call the Japanese divers in California that trash their boat decks with sea urchin parts that they don't eat and are too lazy to clean up after themselves.

I think it’s just a cultural/location thing. Whomever made that list, those things were probably “exotic” to them, or at least in the category of “known to have a strong/unusual flavor.”

It's interesting that none of the items were processed foods (unless you count Spam, and that would require also counting Spam as food). Most of the foods are stand-alone ingredients, except for a few prepared foods (I suppose it's more likely people will know if they've had tripe before they'll know if they've had stomach lining).

How do you say A-hole in Japanese? That is what many of the charter dive boat captains want to call the Japanese divers in California that trash their boat decks with sea urchin parts that they don't eat and are too lazy to clean up after themselves.

In Japan, the culture has some ideas about protected marine life (whales) and sport fishing (those shark roundup/mass killings) that I find "disturbing," to be polite.

CD

that list is a bit harmless. lots of Asian food. as in BARELY adventurous. crickets? with or without hotsauce.?

i have eaten all that list EXCEPT Brains. and that list is yummy. except maybe brains...which i heard has the most Cholesterol of anything we can eat. which stops me.

and that list is incomplete without "testicles". come on people!!!

In Japan, the culture has some ideas about protected marine life (whales) and sport fishing (those shark roundup/mass killings) that I find "disturbing," to be polite.

CD
My buddy Greg Mooney(Moondog Dive Outfitters) won an Oscar for his work on the 2009 Documentary "The Cove". It is about the Japanese fisherman's treatment of dolphins they consider a threat to their fishing.

that list is a bit harmless. lots of Asian food. as in BARELY adventurous. crickets? with or without hotsauce.?

i have eaten all that list EXCEPT Brains. and that list is yummy. except maybe brains...which i heard has the most Cholesterol of anything we can eat. which stops me.

and that list is incomplete without "testicles". come on people!!!

I've done both of those. At wild foods festival in hokatika.

Russ

Culturally, in Hawaii, Native peoples harvested Green Sea Turtles.
As they are now a threatened species, they can no longer do that.
I can say that I was fortunate enough, WAY long ago to have tried it, can't lie, it was really good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom