How are you with spicy food? Very spicy?

Sembie

Local time
4:20 PM
I am curious how is the culture of spicy food all over the world. As it's known that Indian, Mexican, Hungarian, Thai, etc cuisine is famous for its spicy taste. How about in other countries?

Different peppers these days can be found pretty easily at the corner grocer in my area, but when I was growing up in the '70's, it wasn't like that. Really the only spicy pepper people grew at home or bought in the store was cayenne pepper.

We used to grow them and dry some, can some, and eat some fresh.

We love spicy food and have been known to actually complain something wasn't hot enough. it made the old lady (mother) of the Indian resturant come out from the kitchen to talk to us. she was so happy to meet us and know we'd enjoyed her signature dish and not going it too spicy. she'd not met Brits (we're from the UK now living in Australia) who wanted and could eat and enjoy really spicy hot Indian food (it was a vegetarian resturant in Plymouth if I remember correctly). her experience was that they'd ask for it and find it too hot. not here. we love hot spicy food.

Thai and Vietnamese are the main stay here in vegan food in our part of Australia, we've only found 1 dish a touch too spicy hot for us but most of that is because of my asthma now. it has this habit of complaining if I eat something too spicy hot when it's playing up (by which I mean an asthma attack).

so bring on the spices... I've a cupboard full of just spices. I really should make a list of them all. I'm just in the process of ordering some new to me ones as I type this. I'm trying hard not to spend too much on them (currently over AUD $200 worth! )

Canada isn't know for it's spicy food, basically English and French was inherited. Living in the Toronto Area for the last 50 years and the ethnic diversity Toronto enjoys with a huge population from Asia and India hot is well tolerated. Personally I cook quite a bit with spice and heat and I'm known to not shy away from any heat. Crank the heat.

I like spicy food. I just need to learn to open a window and turn on a fan when cooking it! My kitchen: chemical weapons development.

Texas is another "country" with a big chili pepper culture (yes, Texas is just a State, but it is bigger than a lot of countries). I grew chili peppers of varying types in may garden.

Next door to Texas is Louisiana, where cajun food is pretty spicy, and a very unique way -- and good way.

CD

I´ve always loved spicy food. When I quit Corporate, 20 years ago, I started a company which made chutneys, marmalades and hot sauces. Without actually trying very hard, I became known as the " Spice Man" in Venezuela, and in 2011, gave 3 lectures on chiles at the International Gourmet Convention. The fact that I love Indian food also helps.
Venezuelans in general, like their Colombian cousins, are not great chile eaters. Perú, Bolivia, Ecuador to certain extent, Guatemala and Mexico - yes. Hot stuff all over the place.
I grow chiles in the garden and currently have a wonderful harvest of Naga Jolokia - about 1.3 million Scoville units. I treat the fruit with due respect; it´s not exactly something you´d want to snack on while watching Mary Poppins...

I'm not too good on hot but both my kids love it..we grow lots of types. I make a chilly sauce that's very popular.
I serve it separate for meals here.

Russ

I make a chilly sauce that's very popular.
I serve it separate for meals here.

I can vouch for that because last year rascal very kindly sent me a bottle all the way from New Zealand.

Kefir flatbread with egg, avocado & Rascal's chilli sauce:

Quail's eggs on cheese on toast with anchovy and Rascal's chilli sauce:

The sauce:

There are exceptions where I eat meals that do not have some form of heat in them.

But they are rare.

I love spicy foods, I had thought that it automatically goes with the territory of coming from Jamaica; but there is a minority there that appreciates properly seasoned food but don't love "hot" spicy food. In my travels I have also learned not to take it for granted that ALL Caribbean nationals enjoy spicy food.
Even more surprising: When I went to China, I experienced more mild (sometimes bland) food in the north, and some seriously spicy food down south. I think geography and prevalence of pepper plants/products plays a major role in regional cuisine.

Back
Top Bottom