How are you with spicy food? Very spicy?

I think geography and prevalence of pepper plants/products plays a major role in regional cuisine.
Interesting, isn´t it? Chiles (or hot peppers) probably originated in the triangle between Perú, Bolivia and Brazil. At least, the oldest traces (12,000 years) were found there - not in Mexico. Propagation came mainly from birds, but later, humans. Indian food, curiously enough, did not use chiles until the 16th century.
Now, the hottest dishes in the world come from Mexico,Perú - but notably India and south east Asia. The hottest thing I´ve ever eaten was a Sri Lankan aubergine curry and a Thai green curry. So, so hot, I couldn´t finish them. I think even my toenails were perspiring.
We can credit the Spanish, but perhaps more, the Portuguese, for spreading fire around the world!

Interesting, isn´t it? Chiles (or hot peppers) probably originated in the triangle between Perú, Bolivia and Brazil. At least, the oldest traces (12,000 years) were found there - not in Mexico. Propagation came mainly from birds, but later, humans. Indian food, curiously enough, did not use chiles until the 16th century.
Now, the hottest dishes in the world come from Mexico,Perú - but notably India and south east Asia. The hottest thing I´ve ever eaten was a Sri Lankan aubergine curry and a Thai green curry. So, so hot, I couldn´t finish them. I think even my toenails were perspiring.
We can credit the Spanish, but perhaps more, the Portuguese, for spreading fire around the world!

In addition to South America the area that is from what is now Central Mexico to Central America. Is also a place where some chilis originated.

CD

Last edited:
Oh absolutely, CD. There are Central American/Mexican chiles which are unique to those areas. The oldest records, however, come from the red-hot triangle - quite likely that Mexican varieties never survived, that´s all, or that no-one´s discovered any ancient remains yet.
Last time I was in Mexico City, I bought some chilhuacle peppers. That (apparently) means " Ancient Chile" in the local language, so there´s one, at least. They only grow in Oaxaca, on the volcanic slopes and are essential for making a mole oaxaqueño.

There's very little that I consume, outside of oats, ice cream and other things, that is not spiced, let alone, very hot spicy from peppers.

Keep in mind that once upon a time spices were worth more than silks, gems and precious metals. They masked the scent of rotting meat when there was no refrigeration. So globally, spices are used almost everywhere, in every country, - and that means hot peppers for sure.

Back
Top Bottom