How hot can you take it?

It will pour out like red or brown sauce. Not as smooth but I do puree it with a hand blender. Still a bit chunky

Well, whatever may be the unwisdom of pouring water on the fire…

Yes, it’s a personal thing, I don’t like blow your head off spiciness. I don’t mind occasionally enjoying some genuinely spicy food, but not all the time, and never so hot that it makes you sweat. That’s a personal preference and you are all entitled to see it differently.

But. Of course, there’s a but coming. Now, before I make this point, let me just say this. There are one or two other threads here recently that I have struggled to resist posting on because I doubted that my contribution would have been appreciated, because I might have got a little to lecturing about the difference between scientific evidence and anecdotal evidence which is always and without exception evidence of precisely nothing. So, I have to confess that I have no scientific evidence for the following assertion, the following is just a personal impression and likewise, scientifically speaking, is evidence of nothing.

But, let’s get back to my but, it seems to me, the problem with eating very spicy food very often is, it tends to dull the senses. You reach a point where only very spicy food is in any way tasty to you. It is a slippery slope like the slide from beer to beer laced with spirits, to spirits with a little water, to neat spirits. As you become more and more inured to spiciness and need it ever stronger to give you the spicy kick you seek, subtle flavours become lost to you.

Perhaps...

But, let’s get back to my but, it seems to me, the problem with eating very spicy food very often is, it tends to dull the senses. You reach a point where only very spicy food is in any way tasty to you. It is a slippery slope like the slide from beer to beer laced with spirits, to spirits with a little water, to neat spirits. As you become more and more inured to spiciness and need it ever stronger to give you the spicy kick you seek, subtle flavours become lost to you.

Perhaps...

Perhaps. But if that is the case how come I adore the taste of artichokes, oysters and asparagus? Also salsify and hearts of palm? And lobster is one of my favourite things. Yet I also love a Phal, hot as you want to give me! :laugh:

Now, before I make this point, let me just say this. There are one or two other threads here recently that I have struggled to resist posting on because I doubted that my contribution would have been appreciated, because I might have got a little to lecturing about the difference between scientific evidence and anecdotal evidence which is always and without exception evidence of precisely nothing.

O heck! Just post what you think. As long as you are (more or less!) on topic and polite that is all we ask. Lots of folks believe all sorts of nonsense that I have no time for but it doesn't stop me making my case. And I probably talk a lot of nonsense sometimes too...

Yes, it’s a personal thing, I don’t like blow your head off spiciness. I don’t mind occasionally enjoying some genuinely spicy food, but not all the time, and never so hot that it makes you sweat. That’s a personal preference and you are all entitled to see it differently.

But. Of course, there’s a but coming. Now, before I make this point, let me just say this. There are one or two other threads here recently that I have struggled to resist posting on because I doubted that my contribution would have been appreciated, because I might have got a little to lecturing about the difference between scientific evidence and anecdotal evidence which is always and without exception evidence of precisely nothing. So, I have to confess that I have no scientific evidence for the following assertion, the following is just a personal impression and likewise, scientifically speaking, is evidence of nothing.

Perhaps...
Please post your opinions. Sometimes mine are contrary to what others may think. Or you might be surprised and others may agree with you.

I have to completely disagree with Ken that eating spicy hot foods frequently dulls the senses. While I am not out to impress anyone with the level of heat that I can handle, I do eat fairly spicy food several times a week and have never noticed any lessening of my senses of taste or smell. When I say fairly spicy, I'm talking about nothing hotter than a habanero, and even those in limited quantity. I regulary eat dishes with jalapenos, Thai birds, hot cherry, hot banana, and other medium hot chilis both fresh and dried. But I also have no problem, as morning glory mentioned, enjoying very subtle flavors of things like mushrooms, delicate cheeses, seafood, and the like. Of course not in the same meal with the spicy food, but shortly afterwards is no problem.
Afterall, sensing the heat in food is nothing more than the depolarization of a membrane, the flooding of calcium ions, and the additional variable of temperature and pH. Once that reaction has stopped, there is no permanent effect on said membrane. You may be able to train your brain to become accustomed to this reaction, but isn't that what we're really talking about here?
So, while I consider myself a chilihead, it's more like hitting for average versus power.

:heat:

All of this does not include supertasters, who are a category unto themselves. I'm quite glad that I am not one of them.

I have to completely disagree with Ken that eating spicy hot foods frequently dulls the senses. While I am not out to impress anyone with the level of heat that I can handle, I do eat fairly spicy food several times a week and have never noticed any lessening of my senses of taste or smell. When I say fairly spicy, I'm talking about nothing hotter than a habanero, and even those in limited quantity. I regulary eat dishes with jalapenos, Thai birds, hot cherry, hot banana, and other medium hot chilis both fresh and dried. But I also have no problem, as morning glory mentioned, enjoying very subtle flavors of things like mushrooms, delicate cheeses, seafood, and the like. Of course not in the same meal with the spicy food, but shortly afterwards is no problem.
Afterall, sensing the heat in food is nothing more than the depolarization of a membrane, the flooding of calcium ions, and the additional variable of temperature and pH. Once that reaction has stopped, there is no permanent effect on said membrane. You may be able to train your brain to become accustomed to this reaction, but isn't that what we're really talking about here?
So, while I consider myself a chilihead, it's more like hitting for average versus power.

All of this does not include supertasters, who are a category unto themselves. I'm quite glad that I am not one of them.
Rather like eat a lemon then drink something sweet. Or eat something sweet then do the lemon.

I had similar concerns - as I have got older I am increasingly drawn to stronger flavours and hotter dishes, and I did worry that it would ruin my taste buds. This has not proved to be the case so far. These days I eat English mustard, Marmite, Phaal curries and add fresh chilli as a garnish to most hot dishes. Ten years ago I wouldn't have gone near any of these. We grow Scotch Bonnels for making hot chilli sauce and birds eye chillies for drying. I love Jalapeños on a sandwich - pastrami and Stilton particularly!

Do you like chillies? I absolutely love them. And I happen to know they affect the 'hind-brain' and can produce a feel good factor. Evidence can be provided...

The Scoville scale is a measure of the 'hotness' of a chilli pepper or anything derived from chilli peppers, i.e. hot sauce. The scale is actually a measure of the concentration of the chemical compound capsaicin which is the active component that produces the heat sensation for humans. I like to live dangerously and I periodically order some of the hottest chillies on the Scoville scale via the internet (there are some great chilli farms in the UK).

I'm a complete chilli-head :pepper::D :hyper: and I bet I could out do any one of you in a challenge! I once won a Phal eating competition in an Indian restaurant. What about you. Can you take it hot?

I know the Scoville scale is specifically to measure the heat of chillies, but how could you compare other hot substances. English mustard for instance?

I know the Scoville scale is specifically to measure the heat of chillies, but how could you compare other hot substances. English mustard for instance?

Interesting. I've never thought to compare the "heat" of mustard with the heat of chilies. I do know that they each contain different "hot" chemicals - allyl isothiocyanate in the former and capsaicin in the latter but after that I'm lost.

[Edit: I have just now read that the chemical in mustard and the like goes for the nasal passages and the chemical in chilies goes for the tongue and throat (which is obvious when you have experienced both)]

Last edited:

Perhaps...
Interesting thought but I'm not sure it would affect other dishes eaten at other times - however I do wonder if you end up tasting nothing but the heat when eating the curry / chilli involved.

Back
Top Bottom