How hot can you take it?

Interesting thought but I'm not sure it would affect other dishes eaten at other times - however I do wonder if you end up tasting nothing but the heat when eating the curry / chilli involved.

In my opinion, and only my opinion, I think the heat should be just sufficient to make the food spicy but still retain the taste of the other flavours. That's the secret of a good curry in my opinion. However, chili tolerances differ with different people's tastes so it's really an individual thing, I guess. As I have said previously, the basic curry that I cook has been manipulated over a few years to suit me and my tastes. It may not suit others

Interesting. I've never thought to compare the "heat" of mustard with the heat of chilies. I do know that they each contain different "hot" chemicals - allyl isothiocyanate in the former and capsaicin in the latter but after that I'm lost.

[Edit: I have just now read that the chemical in mustard and the like goes for the nasal passages and the chemical in chilies goes for the tongue and throat (which is obvious when you have experienced both)]

Add the sinus clearing heat of wasabi and other horseradish.

Add the sinus clearing heat of wasabi and other horseradish.

I consider those to be covered by "and the like". Wasabi is very popular here although horseradish is rare (I have some in the fridge though).

Is it the same chemical in wasabi as in horseradish that does the trick?

Veddy interesting. Thanks.

One is a root of a small plant, the other a seed.

Interesting thought but I'm not sure it would affect other dishes eaten at other times - however I do wonder if you end up tasting nothing but the heat when eating the curry / chilli involved.

I don't think so - the hot sensors are in a different part of the mouth. If you put sweet mango chutney on a hot curry you can still taste the sweetness for example.

I know the Scoville scale is specifically to measure the heat of chillies, but how could you compare other hot substances. English mustard for instance?

According to Wiki the Scoville scale is somewhat subjective in any case as it depends on a panel of human 'testers'. I really did not know that until I just looked it up!

I made a vegetable madras yesterday and it was way too 'hot', for me practically inedible. Even Hubbster commented I had slipped with the spices. Lesson learned for sure.

I made a vegetable madras yesterday and it was way too 'hot', for me practically inedible. Even Hubbster commented I had slipped with the spices. Lesson learned for sure.

If you are using fresh chilies it is not easy to determine the "heat". In my experience, even tasting the tip of one in it's raw state does not confirm that the others are a similar heat. It's not even trial and error. Just luck.

[Edit: I have not yet cooked a curry which has proved to be "inedible"]

If you are using fresh chilies it is not easy to determine the "heat". In my experience, even tasting the tip of one in it's raw state does not confirm that the others are a similar heat.
I find it's best to err on the side of caution. You can always add more heat later with a multitude of things, weather it be bottled or powdered..

IMG_9403.JPG
I'm having health issues at the moment so just found the super spicy food giving me heartburn as I was eating it. Unfortunately there wasn't any yogurt in the fridge - which would have helped.

If you are using fresh chilies it is not easy to determine the "heat". In my experience, even tasting the tip of one in it's raw state does not confirm that the others are a similar heat. It's not even trial and error. Just luck.

[Edit: I have not yet cooked a curry which has proved to be "inedible"]
Oh yes, I have made jalapeño poppers where one pepper was mild and the next one was pass all dairy products.

Has anyone ever made an Atomic Buffalo Turd, aka an ABT?

It's a jalapeno that is cored and stuffed with a mini sausage and cream cheese, then it's wrapped in bacon and smoked.

They're really good. But the same rule applies about the randomness of the heat. Some are hot, and some are atomic.

Back
Top Bottom