How is the corona virus affecting you?

I'm sorry that such a fantastic day out resulted in this nightmare. Not sure how accurate the tests are, but I think it depends on the testing body. I know in the UK we had a testing contract withdrawn from a certain private healthcare company because their tests were found to be wildly inaccurate - after they had already conducted 750K tests. I hope you are both OK, and do stay safe. Are you in an area of high incidence? (sorry, my knowledge of US geography is lamentably poor)

I am actually in an area with very LOW incidence. The rural western part of Massachusetts has not been affected remotely as badly as the cities and towns surrounding Boston. In fact, if I end up with this, I will be the FIRST person in my town so diagnosed. A stat I certainly don't want! I still have no symptoms and this is Day 7. I have no plans to be tested (and indeed I can't be tested) until if and when I show symptoms. (They test people who have symptoms, like my friend, and they test people arriving from states with high incidence, and they test people who are going to go to the hospital for other procedures.)

I've seen that these tests have a high rate of false positives AND false negatives - a large part is rushing the kits into service. Which is why I'm holding back on any vaccine until it's been out there awhile.

This morning I am up feeling pretty much as I always do in the morning - a good sign. Hungry, being able to smell stuff, no more than the usual morning cough...

I'll be calling my friend later this morning to see how she's coping. It's not 8 am here yet, and even prior to getting sick she wouldn't be up by now unless it was a work day. (Which it isn't for her right now.)

I got my new fridge today!!!

What does that have to do with the virus? Well, I bought it three months ago. That's how messed up supply chains have gotten thanks to Covid.

The delivery guys wore masks, and so did I. It has become second nature now.

CD

I know people who want stand alone freezers for long term storage have several months ahead of them before they can take delivery. Which sucks for those folk here in the northern hemisphere who wanted to freeze their garden produce they set up late spring - and of course there's also canning, but canning equipment is in short supply, too.

It's a funny old world.

Testing, testing, testing, world class testing, 350,000 every day, huge success, brilliant, at the forefront of our fight against the virus, super, fantastic. Testing at airports for returning holidaymakers instead of 14 day quarantine - nope, rubbish idea, wouldn't work, results unreliable, can't rely on this as an effective measure, no way, crazy.

Local outbreaks attributed to young people gathering together in pubs and illegal parties. Young people gathering together in schools next month, perfectly safe, scientific advice says yes, no risk whatsoever, absolutely the right thing to do.

Local lockdowns, highly effective, the way forward, far better than a national lockdown. Restrictions on travel to, Spain for instance, has to be nationwide, can't be regional, no matter that Balerarics have lower incidence than us, people move between areas so a really bad idea.

Is it just me?

Good news here! I heard from my friend who had putative COVID-19.

Turns out it was actually a new tick-borne disease: It is granulocytic anaplasmosis. This is even worse in some ways than Lyme's disease. She is now on doxycycline - which at this point is still effective against this case as well as against Lyme's. If she'd allowed it to go on, she'd have been hospitalized. As it is, it will be a few weeks before she'll regain energy again. And for this, at least there's a cure. She's highly relieved (no wonder) that it wasn't the coronavirus - and of course I am as well. I am now out of self-imposed quarantine.

So... the covid test wasn't a false negative. She didn't have it. And no, not all places are trying to make everything into being COVID issue as per the conspiracy theories du jour.

(I just have to watch out for my own local tick population. Fortunately chickens like to eat ticks...)

Turns out it was actually a new tick-borne disease: It is granulocytic anaplasmosis. This is even worse in some ways than Lyme's disease. She is now on doxycycline - which at this point is still effective against this case as well as against Lyme's. If she'd allowed it to go on, she'd have been hospitalized. As it is, it will be a few weeks before she'll regain energy again. And for this, at least there's a cure. She's highly relieved (no wonder) that it wasn't the coronavirus - and of course I am as well. I am now out of self-imposed quarantine.

So... the covid test wasn't a false negative. She didn't have it. And no, not all places are trying to make everything into being COVID issue as per the conspiracy theories du jour.

(I just have to watch out for my own local tick population. Fortunately chickens like to eat ticks...)

That's a great relief. And its good that it is treatable.

Picture please! Fun to get new stuff 🙃

Fridge.jpg

Last Friday a friend and I met up and we went shopping at an Asian market and then at a Persian one. She told me she was making lunch and I shouldn't bring anything - we ate that lunch together on a picnic table outside a winery where we tasted samples. (I had brought her home grown potatoes and quail eggs.) We then went to a dedicated sausage making facility and then - we parted and I drove home.

Of course, we didn't wear masks while eating, and we were probably 3 feet across from each other. She mentioned she felt achy from heavy duty gardening that Thursday. Makes sense, I thought.

She's come down with everything that sounds like full-blown COVID since then. She was tested, and the test turned up negative, but the testing turns up loads of false positives and false negatives. She's had lung x-rays and further testings. The doctors are considering it "putative/potential" Covid-19 but not a firm diagnosis.

I am in my own self-made self-quarantine. I'm not getting tested until I show symptoms - it is Day 6 of the quarantine for me. I was able to buy chicken feed on Day 2 by going to the website and ordering/paying for it - and the staff delivered to the trunk of my car. I AM worried and concerned - and I am not going to take a chance of inflicting this on others at this point. (Or, frankly. any.)

She's severely worried about her possibly having passed this on to me - I told her don't worry, I'm not. (Actually I am, but it's not her fault and she doesn't need to know this at this point for her. We cannot change the past.)

PS: today I am feeling fine, day 6.

I’ve just read your post and I’m sorry to hear this. I’m sending you positive thoughts and a virtual hug

👍🌹

Back
Top Bottom