How is the corona virus affecting you?

That's not as bad as it could have been. We have some of those measures in place here in Texas. Number of guests at home will be hard to police, and hopefully mandatory social distancing does not include passing someone on a sidewalk or store isle -- a very brief encounter. That would be hard to police, as well.

CD

Yes, but if nothing changes in two weeks it's a full lockdown.

And a little personal story here: we've become friends of the owner of the Indian restaurant that was our favorite and turned Italian this year. He opened the indian restaurant in 2019, but there wasn't enough interest for 'exotic' food in the village we live in (we moved here last year, remember) and so he couldn't continue with his dream Indian restaurant. So to appeal to the people here, he made it Italian in january. Then the first lockdown came, and takeout was prohibited. He was already in debt, but able to keep his head up just by doing a tv show about his struggle. Then, there was a peroid he could only do take away. Then, another semi lockdown. Then same scenario. And now again, business has dwindled for weeks and he's back in the position of having to do take away only.

And honestly, he's the nicest guy we met in ages. His dream has already been shattered, he's now doing his second best option and it seems it's crumbling in his hands. It makes me so sad. We'll be sure to takeout food at his place, but it's really unsure if he's going to make it. Worst of all, the show promoting his restaurant will be on tv tonight.. when nobody can go to eat at his place tomorrow.

It's just making me very sad.

That's not as bad as it could have been. We have some of those measures in place here in Texas. Number of guests at home will be hard to police, and hopefully mandatory social distancing does not include passing someone on a sidewalk or store isle -- a very brief encounter. That would be hard to police, as well.

CD
Portuguese health minister today said a lot of the transmissions are happening at family gatherings. We have some of the measures Netherlands is having too (bars and discos for example have been closed since March and were allowed to operate as bakeries or cafés) but what people do inside their homes is indeed difficult to control.

Dutch bars and restaurants to close to stem surge in coronavirus cases
The Dutch government announced a new round of measures to slow the spread of coronavirus on Tuesday, according to a report by Reuters, which includes:
  • Ban on alcohol and weed sales after 8pm
  • Bars and restaurants to close except for take away
  • Mandatory face masks at closed venues
  • No more shopping after 8 pm
  • No more gatherings of more than 30 people in public places and offices
  • Limit on guests at home, max 3
  • Mandatory social distancing everywhere
Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte said the measures will go into effect from Wednesday.
This partial lockdown will last four weeks, the Dutch health minister said.
Do you know if there's any impact to the care you're waiting on for one of your kids?

Do you know if there's any impact to the care you're waiting on for one of your kids?

They have not said anything about mental health facilities or geriatric hospitals closing like with the full lockdown, so hopefully it can come to pass. We expect to get briefed on further measures later this week. We're praying is all I can say.

Yes, but if nothing changes in two weeks it's a full lockdown.

And a little personal story here: we've become friends of the owner of the Indian restaurant that was our favorite and turned Italian this year. He opened the indian restaurant in 2019, but there wasn't enough interest for 'exotic' food in the village we live in (we moved here last year, remember) and so he couldn't continue with his dream Indian restaurant. So to appeal to the people here, he made it Italian in january. Then the first lockdown came, and takeout was prohibited. He was already in debt, but able to keep his head up just by doing a tv show about his struggle. Then, there was a peroid he could only do take away. Then, another semi lockdown. Then same scenario. And now again, business has dwindled for weeks and he's back in the position of having to do take away only.

And honestly, he's the nicest guy we met in ages. His dream has already been shattered, he's now doing his second best option and it seems it's crumbling in his hands. It makes me so sad. We'll be sure to takeout food at his place, but it's really unsure if he's going to make it. Worst of all, the show promoting his restaurant will be on tv tonight.. when nobody can go to eat at his place tomorrow.

It's just making me very sad.

Many restaurants are doing well here just on takeout. Of course, that makes waitstaff unnecessary. A lot of people, including me, are not keen on eating in a restaurant, so it doesn't matter that they are open. The restaurants that have outdoor seating are doing the best, but that is going to change as winter sets in.

CD

Many restaurants are doing well here just on takeout. Of course, that makes waitstaff unnecessary. A lot of people, including me, are not keen on eating in a restaurant, so it doesn't matter that they are open. The restaurants that have outdoor seating are doing the best, but that is going to change as winter sets in.

CD

Yeah but America has a large takeout culture. As opposed to you, most people here prefer restaurants. Most people here still cook at home, and most restaurants arent licensed for takeout. It's a seperate license here with significant cost, which makes it difficult as a temporary measure.

It's no coincidence that there's been a surge basically everywhere (at least in Europe and in the States) since schools have resumed. As I mentioned previously, my son's school had the option of attending in-person (with ludicrously weak precautions) or attending remotely. After their first case of COVID (before the first week was over), I got him transferred to remote learning. The school has reported two additional cases since then. And, of course, that's only cases they report, and not whoever else was infected by those people (and whoever else has it and hasn't shown symptoms yet).

My wife is a high school teacher, and her school is currently fully remote, but they are planning to return to the classrooms in November. Understandably, we are concerned: she has COPD, and COVID is especially bad for people with lung issues. Her counterpart is being allowed to keep on teaching remotely because he's had two heart surgeries. I guess she's the less likely of the two to die, so she has to go in.

I'm hoping the school board opens their eyes to what is going on everywhere and comes to their senses. Yes, of course, classroom education is significantly better for a student than remote learning. But, remote learning is significantly better for people who want to stay healthy and not kill their grandparents.

On a serious note, I feel bad for Melania because she probably got Covid from Donald, who has been playing with fire since the pandemic began.

CD
I believe that we might never have heard about any of this if Hope Hicks hadn't reported that she had it. But, maybe not: with 35 people connected with the White House who have it, it seems that we would have heard about someone, no matter how much Trump would want to suppress it.

But, I can take a lesson from the President if I ever get COVID. All I need to do is call my private helicopter, fly to a world class medical facility, and get experimental medications that only 10 other people in the world have gotten. Easy!

I believe that we might never have heard about any of this if Hope Hicks hadn't reported that she had it. But, maybe not: with 35 people connected with the White House who have it, it seems that we would have heard about someone, no matter how much Trump would want to suppress it.

But, I can take a lesson from the President if I ever get COVID. All I need to do is call my private helicopter, fly to a world class medical facility, and get experimental medications that only 10 other people in the world have gotten. Easy!

Don't forget that you will have a world class medical team right in the White House before calling for your private helicopter.

Here in Portugal people have mostly resumed their lives even though the numbers are the scariest ever (probably driven by schools reopening as The Late Night Gourmet said). I am still remote working and I don’t travel but I ate out two or three times already and I went out for walks in the city center twice. Personally I feel fed up and most portuguese are fed up too I think. From March to June I was locked in the house only leaving once a week to get groceries and take out the trash. We were very compliant with lockdown measures for a couple of months but people got tired. Back in March shops and shopping centers were the last ones to close per government’s order, shop personnel would go out to boo customers and complained they too have the right to close doors and protect themselves. Three months ago they were booing the government and complaining they have the right to work and support themselves- non essential stores and shopping centers were the last to reopen after lockdown was eased. Today me and my friend were talking about going to the theather something we liked to do back in the day when life was normal. The Mousetrap is in Portugal, I loved seeing it in London and we’ll probably see that one. Rationally we know this is not the time to be out and about but we’re at our wits end. My grandfather says let this thing run its course who has to die will die, let it be.

Here in Portugal people have mostly resumed their lives even though the numbers are the scariest ever (probably driven by schools reopening as The Late Night Gourmet said). I am still remote working and I don’t travel but I ate out two or three times already and I went out for walks in the city center twice. Personally I feel fed up and most portuguese are fed up too I think. From March to June I was locked in the house only leaving once a week to get groceries and take out the trash. We were very compliant with lockdown measures for a couple of months but people got tired. Back in March shops and shopping centers were the last ones to close per government’s order, shop personnel would go out to boo customers and complained they too have the right to close doors and protect themselves. Three months ago they were booing the government and complaining they have the right to work and support themselves- non essential stores and shopping centers were the last to reopen after lockdown was eased. Today me and my friend were talking about going to the theather something we liked to do back in the day when life was normal. The Mousetrap is in Portugal, I loved seeing it in London and we’ll probably see that one. Rationally we know this is not the time to be out and about but we’re at our wits end. My grandfather says let this thing run its course who has to die will die, let it be.

I am weary of it too. I comply but I want this to be over sooner rather than later. I am mostly afraid for my children. They are on remote learning but may have to go back to the classroom soon. We don't know yet. My ex is in the airline industry and layoffs are coming. He won't know until next month if he will make the cut or not. I have elderly parents and some of my own health problems. It's mentally exhausting.

I hope your outing to the theater with your friend goes well and you all enjoy the movie. I can't remember the last time I went to an actual movie theater. ;-0

I've always been an introvert so I laughed when I saw this...

image.png

I don't want my tombstone to read, "He got fed up."

Your grandfather has the same sentiments as our President.

CD

mjd-lovescooking I’m an introvert too, my first week in quarantine was hard (I was arguing remotely with somebody everyday) from there it was a breeze, but by June I was already getting antsy, August was a horrible month (I don’t like the summer to be honest) , I was feeling so desperate I had to do something and so I started taking remote dance classes. The dance classes are saving my mental sanity, I don’t know what I would have done if I haven’t found this passion. I’ve been wanting to take these dance lessons since I was a teen and now, in the middle of a pandemic, I felt like I couldn’t wait any longer. And of course this forum which rekindled my relationship with cooking, at a certain point I was so tired of cooking just thinking about it made me feel upset!

I hope all goes well with your children and that your ex keeps his job, and that you and the family remain safe. Please care for yourself emotionally and mentally, it’s challenging but I think we can still find small things that keeps us at least distracted during these times.

Back
Top Bottom