How is the corona virus affecting you?

My sister has her week of testing coming up, soon. She is a hospital RN, and they do the Covid-19 testing. Her unit takes turns, so about every six weeks it is her turn to spend a week poking swabs up people's noses. She hates it -- not really because of the danger, but because of the PPE she has to wear. Imagine a week of wearing a head-to-toe plastic suit over your scrubs. Yes, it is hot. Yes you sweat. Plus, N95 masks are harder to breathe through than normal masks. The face shield is not a big deal, but still not a lot of fun -- your voice bounces back at you.

CD

mjd-lovescooking I’m an introvert too, my first week in quarantine was hard (I was arguing remotely with somebody everyday) from there it was a breeze, but by June I was already getting antsy, August was a horrible month (I don’t like the summer to be honest) , I was feeling so desperate I had to do something and so I started taking remote dance classes. The dance classes are saving my mental sanity, I don’t know what I would have done if I haven’t found this passion. I’ve been wanting to take these dance lessons since I was a teen and now, in the middle of a pandemic, I felt like I couldn’t wait any longer. And of course this forum which rekindled my relationship with cooking, at a certain point I was so tired of cooking just thinking about it made me feel upset!

I hope all goes well with your children and that your ex keeps his job, and that you and the family remain safe. Please care for yourself emotionally and mentally, it’s challenging but I think we can still find small things that keeps us at least distracted during these times.

It sounds like you have it down pat!!! I would have NEVER thought one could learn dance online but it makes sense especially for younger people like you. ;-0

I joined a debate site and this one since the lock down started. I also like to do digital scrapbooking. I was thinking about taking some Spanish classes online. I can speak a little bit but would like to get more conversational with it. Oh, there is a hold on all fines at our local library so I've been borrowing books and movies.

Have you ever been to Coursera? They have all kinds of free classes from reputable schools. You can pay to get a certificate that you've completed a course, but it's not required.

Thanks for the well wishes. I wish you the same. Stay safe and try to stay sane! This cannot go on forever. ;-)

My sister has her week of testing coming up, soon. She is a hospital RN, and they do the Covid-19 testing. Her unit takes turns, so about every six weeks it is her turn to spend a week poking swabs up people's noses. She hates it -- not really because of the danger, but because of the PPE she has to wear. Imagine a week of wearing a head-to-toe plastic suit over your scrubs. Yes, it is hot. Yes you sweat. Plus, N95 masks are harder to breathe through than normal masks. The face shield is not a big deal, but still not a lot of fun -- your voice bounces back at you.

CD

Please tell your sister "Thank you" for me. I appreciate all the front line workers and my healthcare providers have been fabulous (they were before COVID19 too).

Portugal is back in calamity state, just declared by our Prime Minister. Gatherings can have no more than 5 people, weddings no more than 50 and today the parliament will vote if it's mandatory to wear a mask outside or not, currently it's mandatory to wear it indoors only. There will be no lockdown, our Prime Minister has said 4 or 5 times our economy can't handle it.

Public health services are still only attending to emergency cases and there are no check ups and regular appointments. July was the month with most deaths in Portugal in years, and only a fraction of those deaths is explained by Covid. There's people with chronic health problems that are not being followed and people with undiagnosed illnesses. One of my friends is married to a doctor and they think the public healthcare is using this as an opportunity to save money. Back in March her husband service closed and he was home waiting to be called to work in the ER if needed; he was never called. Another doctor I know also had service closed, she was at home waiting to be called to work the ER if needed, she was never called. When my mom was hospitalized they had closed an entire area of the hospital to prepare it for the Covid patients, while she was there they still didn't have Covid patients but all the non-urgent appointments at that hospital had been canceled. My friends medical services are open and they're working but only seeing urgent cases.

Portugal is back in calamity state, just declared by our Prime Minister. Gatherings can have no more than 5 people, weddings no more than 50 and today the parliament will vote if it's mandatory to wear a mask outside or not, currently it's mandatory to wear it indoors only. There will be no lockdown, our Prime Minister has said 4 or 5 times our economy can't handle it.

Public health services are still only attending to emergency cases and there are no check ups and regular appointments. July was the month with most deaths in Portugal in years, and only a fraction of those deaths is explained by Covid. There's people with chronic health problems that are not being followed and people with undiagnosed illnesses. One of my friends is married to a doctor and they think the public healthcare is using this as an opportunity to save money. Back in March her husband service closed and he was home waiting to be called to work in the ER if needed; he was never called. Another doctor I know also had service closed, she was at home waiting to be called to work the ER if needed, she was never called. When my mom was hospitalized they had closed an entire area of the hospital to prepare it for the Covid patients, while she was there they still didn't have Covid patients but all the non-urgent appointments at that hospital had been canceled. My friends medical services are open and they're working but only seeing urgent cases.
Sorry to hear that. Things are very similar here now. There is a raging debate about whether we should go into total lockdown for a short period to stem the rise in cases and sort out other measures needed.

Stay safe :)

Thank you epicuric. This is making me rethink my plans about going to the theater and eating out. But I have an issue with my leg, I teared my calf muscle 2 years ago and it's giving me cramps lately, so I'm back and forth between the doctor and the medical center and because I don't drive I take public transports everywhere, I'm already out there.

Thank you epicuric. This is making me rethink my plans about going to the theater and eating out. But I have an issue with my leg, I teared my calf muscle 2 years ago and it's giving me cramps lately, so I'm back and forth between the doctor and the medical center and because I don't drive I take public transports everywhere, I'm already out there.

At the first surge, Texas banned all elective surgeries. Necessary surgeries only. My dad had to wait a couple of months to get his cataract surgery, but that is something that can wait. Cancer surgery can't wait, so that was allowed. Right now, there are no restrictions on surgeries.

A lot of doctors here have been using tele-pointments online to treat patients with non life threatening illnesses. I've done a few, and for me, they have worked out fine.

CD

At the first surge, Texas banned all elective surgeries. Necessary surgeries only. My dad had to wait a couple of months to get his cataract surgery, but that is something that can wait. Cancer surgery can't wait, so that was allowed. Right now, there are no restrictions on surgeries.

A lot of doctors here have been using tele-pointments online to treat patients with non life threatening illnesses. I've done a few, and for me, they have worked out fine.

CD

Private healthcare is functioning as usual. You can get face to face appointments and some specialties also offer remote appointment. It's public healthcare that's not, and some people can't afford private health insurance.

On the news today, a school student (age unknown) was suspended for sharing his snacks with colleagues (apparently he was sharing a pack of juice with friends). Obviously this is not the time to share food with others, but it's very sad that something usually healthy and normal in children (sharing your food) is now a serious threat to public health 😞

We've got the usual clueless mess here in the (Dis)United Kingdom. The group of scientists who are supposedly guiding the government recommended a "circuit breaker" lockdown two and a half weeks ago. The government ignored this advice. Now they are being pelted from all angles, including some of their own MPs. The Scottish and Welsh governments are doing different things to what is happening in England.

As a typical example of the shambles, people in Wales cannot travel to visit Snowdonia, its best-known National Park. However, if you live in Merseyside or Greater Manchester, two of the worst areas for new cases, you can cross the Welsh border to do so.

Last edited:
We've got the usual clueless mess here in the (Dis)United Kingdom. The group of scientists who are supposed guiding the government recommended a "circuit breaker" lockdown two and a half weeks ago. The government ignored this advice. Now they are being pelted from all angles, including some of their own MPs. The Scottish and Welsh governments are doing different things to what is happening in England.

As a typical example of the shambles, people in Wales cannot travel to visit Snowdonia, its best-known National Park. However, if you live in Merseyside or Greater Manchester, two of the worst areas for new cases, you can cross the Welsh border to do so.

For my April holiday I was torn between the Seychelles and Wales (similar places, I know!). I really wanted to visit Hay-on-Wye but in the end I decided I needed a beach holiday. I ended up not going anywhere though :happy:

Back
Top Bottom