How is the corona virus affecting you?

More than 90 percent of the benefit dollars that US entitlement and other mandatory programs spend go to assist people who are elderly, seriously disabled, or members of working households — not to able-bodied, working-age Americans who choose not to work.

The US federal minimum wage was last raised on July 24, 2009, when it rose from $6.55 to $7.25 per hour, the last step of a three-step increase approved by Congress in 2007. Before 2007, the minimum wage had been stuck at $5.15 per hour for 10 years.

Some states have raised their minimum wages to higher amounts, but they are generally states with high costs of living. So, it's a wash.

My belief is that if someone is willing to work 40-hours a week, they should be able to afford the basic necessities -- food, shelter, clothing and health care. You barely do that on $10 and hour, let alone $7.25.

CD

Absolutely no argument from me, remember I grew up with a mum on a benefit, I know it's a net for some, a career for others. I'm sure it's the same in your country. I could prolly go on a sickness benefit for the next two years I'm getting no income, but I won't feign sickness to do that. I don't need to work until my superannuation licks in at 65. I will live on wealth I have accumulated over the years. I will throw a party when I get to 65 and get a reward for my endeavours. You will be invited. :)

Russ

My kids are all achievers
You are responsible for that.
My friend had everything growing up where I had nothing.
I had everything I wanted except freedom and control of my destiny. That's why I left home at 15 yrs. Many years later I was amazed to receive a letter from my old headmaster who was retiring asking me to visit him. I was even more amazed to be asked to be a governor.

I don't need to work until my superannuation licks in at 65.
I was happy to stop formal work at around 55 yrs. I was more amazed when I received notification of my state pension. My Dad (primarily an accountant) was to thank for that. He advised me to make some form off additional payments to the state. He also advised me to open a private pension. He used the logic that initially it may hurt but as your income grows you forget about it. When I married M he was in his late 80s. He advised me to lower my tax liabilities I should open a private pension for M. M always wanted to work (there was no need financially) she wanted to contribute financially to our marriage. She worked in the UK for about 15 yrs. I transferred her private pension pot into her first employers ( mark & spencer), she paid in the monthly maximum allowed. I just checked what if anything she will get from all the state national insurance she paid. She was amazed in 2030 she will get £80 per wk.

"We're like a rocket ship. Look at the numbers" I don't think Trump was talking about covid, but it would have been an accurate comment. Alarming news that 27 US states saw rises in cases of 10%-50% last week. Worst were Connecticut and Florida with more than a 50% rise in cases. Only Vermont and Missouri saw a drop in cases. Across the UK, cases rose by 25% in the past week. Cases are surging across most of mainland Europe, France faring worst. It's not going away.

"We're like a rocket ship. Look at the numbers" I don't think Trump was talking about covid, but it would have been an accurate comment. Alarming news that 27 US states saw rises in cases of 10%-50% last week. Worst were Connecticut and Florida with more than a 50% rise in cases. Only Vermont and Missouri saw a drop in cases. Across the UK, cases rose by 25% in the past week. Cases are surging across most of mainland Europe, France faring worst. It's not going away.

We are drifting into winter and flu season. Covid-19 will thrive in those conditions, unless we prevent it from spreading, which will require some <GASP> personal sacrifices -- or as Trump cult members call it, "giving up our constitutional freedoms?"

Clarification: I don't consider ALL Trump voters to be part of the Trump cult. But, the ones you see at is rallies, standing shoulder-to-shoulder, with no masks because the Donald said masks and social distancing are for evil, liberal haters of America. The rest of his voters are not part of the cult, they are just being conned by the Master Con Artist.

CD

Trump now raves on about people being "sick of hearing about coronavirus from Fauci and other idiots." Thus, obviously, implying that Fauci is an idiot. Yet Trump is apparently happy to have (out of context) quotes from Fauci on a campaign ad.

So, what he's telling us is that he is endorsed by an idiot. This may be the first honest thing he's said, however inadvertently.

I felt snivelling last night, I had a cold pill to loosen stuff up. Had a good nights sleep but woke up,with full blown cold. Had a biscuit and I could taste it so it's not covid. Havnt had a cold in years.

Russian fishermen turned up a few days ago, 25 have covid in managed hotels. 10 mins from me. The fishing companies paid for them to come here.

Russ

I felt snivelling last night, I had a cold pill to loosen stuff up. Had a good nights sleep but woke up,with full blown cold. Had a biscuit and I could taste it so it's not covid. Havnt had a cold in years.

Russian fishermen turned up a few days ago, 25 have covid in managed hotels. 10 mins from me. The fishing companies paid for them to come here.

Russ
Why do you need Russian fishermen?

Back
Top Bottom