How is the corona virus affecting you?

Mod.Comment:
Quite right. I think we need to do just that. I'm sure we could debate the veracity or otherwise of COVID statistics ad infinitum, based on personal testimonies from all manner of health professionals we know. We are not likely to reach a watertight conclusion. Please can we draw a line under this debate.

Watertight or not is really not the issue. Coming up with a conclusion that everyone will accept is the issue. And no, my sister's experience does no constitute "proof" of anything. It is totally anecdotal.

CD

Fife has now moved into "level 3" on the Scottish scale. That means (to quote the BBC):

"In level three areas, restrictions see cafes, pubs and restaurants allowed to open until 18:00 to serve food and non-alcoholic drinks to groups of up to six from two households.
Alcohol sales are not permitted indoors or outdoors. All leisure and entertainment venues are closed at this level, including cinemas.
No non-essential travel is allowed out of a level three area. Indoor exercise, which includes gyms, are restricted to individual and not group exercise."

I can't honestly see much point of a pub that can't sell alcohol. Not that this has stopped the grotty one in our street, which very obviously had people locked inside it yesterday evening. The thing that amused me - if amused is the right word - is that people would still come outside to have a cigarette. If you're going to break the law so flagrantly, why not just let the idiots smoke indoors?

Fife has now moved into "level 3" on the Scottish scale. That means (to quote the BBC):

"In level three areas, restrictions see cafes, pubs and restaurants allowed to open until 18:00 to serve food and non-alcoholic drinks to groups of up to six from two households.
Alcohol sales are not permitted indoors or outdoors. All leisure and entertainment venues are closed at this level, including cinemas.
No non-essential travel is allowed out of a level three area. Indoor exercise, which includes gyms, are restricted to individual and not group exercise."

I can't honestly see much point of a pub that can't sell alcohol. Not that this has stopped the grotty one in our street, which very obviously had people locked inside it yesterday evening. The thing that amused me - if amused is the right word - is that people would still come outside to have a cigarette. If you're going to break the law so flagrantly, why not just let the idiots smoke indoors?

Second-hand smoke can be harmful to the health of those gathered inside. :ohmy:

CD

Vaping has just been banned from non smoking areas as well here. Racing here is pre covid, no distancing or masks. Auckland keep getting outbreaks so I suspect they will go back to level 2 sometime soon.??

Russ

Some poll was held by a Dutch university about who 'deserved' to be last for the corona vaccination, and apparently that goes for those who don't stick to the rules and.. fat people . Whom were also in the news because the vaccine might not work well for them. Ahum, fat people are 50% of the population so why do they release a vaccine that doesn't work properly for them?

And apparently, just for being fat you're unworthy of medical care, no matter what the reason is you're fat. You're just as bad as those people willingly breaking the rules just for being you.

I am so upset I can't even with this. And then they say fat people don't get discriminated.

Some poll was held by a Dutch university about who 'deserved' to be last for the corona vaccination, and apparently that goes for those who don't stick to the rules and.. fat people . Whom were also in the news because the vaccine might not work well for them. Ahum, fat people are 50% of the population so why do they release a vaccine that doesn't work properly for them?

And apparently, just for being fat you're unworthy of medical care, no matter what the reason is you're fat. You're just as bad as those people willingly breaking the rules just for being you.

I am so upset I can't even with this. And then they say fat people don't get discriminated.
Everybody gets diabetes, type 2, no matter what their weight profile. But the thought is that it is more prevalent in people who are overweight. Covid poses special problems for diabetics.

Crossed wires I think.

You say that it was a University poll - so not government policy (I hope!). Who was being polled?

Yes, just a sample of their students ( medical students) and of course I know it's not goverment policy ( yet) but it shows how much fat bias is alive among medical professionals, which is very relevant to my lived experiences.

Of course, the steam was blowing out of my ears a little early as no policy has been made yet, but this is examplary of the way the debate about overweight covid patients has been going here. One news article literally headlined with ' fat covid patients deserve to die, says md X'.

It's been building up and I am starting to get angry at being considered better off dead just for being overweight.

It's frequently said over here that the last two groups that you're permitted to make fun of are the overweight and hillbillies. Normally, I wouldn't even say "hillbillies," but I am one, so that's ok.

Back
Top Bottom