How is the corona virus affecting you?

It's frequently said over here that the last two groups that you're permitted to make fun of are the overweight and hillbillies. Normally, I wouldn't even say "hillbillies," but I am one, so that's ok.

You know, a joke or two don't hurt. But fat bias by medical professionals is killing people due to everything being written off as 'just lose weight' and that does hurt. Especially when you walk around with chronic pain that can be treated like me, but won't until I lose weight which I can't do due to my eating disorder history. It just hits close to home.

This shocks me. If it was Joe public I wouldn't be quite so shocked but they should know better.

The Netherlands is about 10 to 15 years behind on research on weight and health studies compared to the USA and other developed nations. This is a well known thing doctors are aware of (I was told this by a nurse in the field) . The attitude here is pretty backwards.

You know, a joke or two don't hurt. But fat bias by medical professionals is killing people due to everything being written off as 'just lose weight' and that does hurt. Especially when you walk around with chronic pain that can be treated like me, but won't until I lose weight which I can't do due to my eating disorder history. It just hits close to home.
I hear you. Some people just don't realize how hard it can be to "just lose weight."

I look at my wife, who's overweight, and her trajectory went as follows:

Always a "shapely" woman, and tall, so even when she was at her smallest as an adult, she'd be close to or just over her "ideal" weight as prescribed by the medical community (personally, those things are way off for women, if you ask me).

From there, as she aged, she experienced the usual "middle-aged spread," not from having kids, but from eating too much and exercising too little. Still kept her shape, she just expanded all over. At that point, "voluptuous" would be a good word, built kind of like Sophia Loren or Marilyn Monroe - that ain't bragging, as nowadays, that body type is considered way too fat by a lot of people.

Then, her health caught up with her. Myositis meant that exercise (which she didn't like anyway) was very limited for her, and the double-whammy of the drugs to control it causing weight gain didn't help. She put on more and more weight, lost a lot when she had her stroke, and as soon as she recovered from that, put it right back on again.

Her health markers, like BP and cholesterol and heart rate - she's got numbers that would make an Olympic athlete jealous, and that's no exaggeration. But, according to the guidance, she obese.

The side-effects of her stroke make exercise difficult, she likes her food and drink, and with her numbers the way they are, she's not terribly motivated to shed a whole lot of weight, and I don't blame her, as I like the good life as well, but if I get over 200lbs, my type 2 kicks in. So I have to watch it.

The thing that gets me, though, is a lot of the people over here who tout personal responsibility as far as weight/health, and who are a-ok with denying vaccines, organ transplants, and health care in general to "people who don't deserve it," are the very same people who gripe about national healthcare and how it'll lead to rationing services and "death panels." Hey, they're already wishing they could ration a vaccine, so it turns out, they've found the death panel, and it is them. :laugh:

I hear you. Some people just don't realize how hard it can be to "just lose weight."

I look at my wife, who's overweight, and her trajectory went as follows:

Always a "shapely" woman, and tall, so even when she was at her smallest as an adult, she'd be close to or just over her "ideal" weight as prescribed by the medical community (personally, those things are way off for women, if you ask me).

From there, as she aged, she experienced the usual "middle-aged spread," not from having kids, but from eating too much and exercising too little. Still kept her shape, she just expanded all over. At that point, "voluptuous" would be a good word, built kind of like Sophia Loren or Marilyn Monroe - that ain't bragging, as nowadays, that body type is considered way too fat by a lot of people.

Then, her health caught up with her. Myositis meant that exercise (which she didn't like anyway) was very limited for her, and the double-whammy of the drugs to control it causing weight gain didn't help. She put on more and more weight, lost a lot when she had her stroke, and as soon as she recovered from that, put it right back on again.

Her health markers, like BP and cholesterol and heart rate - she's got numbers that would make an Olympic athlete jealous, and that's no exaggeration. But, according to the guidance, she obese.

The side-effects of her stroke make exercise difficult, she likes her food and drink, and with her numbers the way they are, she's not terribly motivated to shed a whole lot of weight, and I don't blame her, as I like the good life as well, but if I get over 200lbs, my type 2 kicks in. So I have to watch it.

The thing that gets me, though, is a lot of the people over here who tout personal responsibility as far as weight/health, and who are a-ok with denying vaccines, organ transplants, and health care in general to "people who don't deserve it," are the very same people who gripe about national healthcare and how it'll lead to rationing services and "death panels." Hey, they're already wishing they could ration a vaccine, so it turns out, they've found the death panel, and it is them. :laugh:

So basically those people are afraid of their own shadow :laugh: great observation Tasty, I didn't think of that yet.

My numbers are ( and have always been) described as ' perfect' ( just like your miss T) leading to surprised doctors testing again and then declaring it miracoulous because I too am considered obese. But again just like Miss T, apparently I don't look obese, just overweight.

And my health issues aside from the ED are not weight related, I don't have metabolic syndrome , again just like miss T. We fall under the ' paradox of the healthy obese" ( this is the title of a scientific study on that you can find on google) .

But of course, most people who are overweight have health issues. But, I ask, what was there first. Health issues or the weight? More often than not, the weight comes after the first health issues. So often it goes hand in hand with health issues, and isnt always caused by sheer indulgence.

Miss T sounds very similar to me.

Fat shaming can begin early. My in-laws came to visit us after our daughter (first) was born. My baby began to cry so I excused myself to the nursery to nurse her. My MIL stopped me and said "You don't have to nurse her when she cries. She was born fat." My baby was less than a week old at the time. I wasn't hurt by her comments because she rarely spoke to me in the years I was married to her son and those few times were always filled with those precious "gems".

Several years ago, I went to the doctor for kidney stones in my right kidney. I was in severe pain. The doctor came in and basically said that he wouldn't do anything to help me because the stones were "too small" and I was "too big". I was hardly overweight but it still stung coming from a supposed "professional." He didn't stop there. As I exited the exam room, a group of medical students (about 6-7) were waiting just outside the door and were making pig sounds as I walked away. The kicker? I was about 12 lbs. over the "ideal" weight for my height, hardly obese (but that shouldn't have mattered either. One would expect better from medical "professionals").

Windigo, I'm sorry you've faced that kind of discrimination. It's unconsciousable.

Fat shaming can begin early. My in-laws came to visit us after our daughter (first) was born. My baby began to cry so I excused myself to the nursery to nurse her. My MIL stopped me and said "You don't have to nurse her when she cries. She was born fat." My baby was less than a week old at the time. I wasn't hurt by her comments because she rarely spoke to me in the years I was married to her son and those few times were always filled with those precious "gems".

Several years ago, I went to the doctor for kidney stones in my right kidney. I was in severe pain. The doctor came in and basically said that he wouldn't do anything to help me because the stones were "too small" and I was "too big". I was hardly overweight but it still stung coming from a supposed "professional." He didn't stop there. As I exited the exam room, a group of medical students (about 6-7) were waiting just outside the door and were making pig sounds as I walked away. The kicker? I was about 12 lbs. over the "ideal" weight for my height, hardly obese (but that shouldn't have mattered either. One would expect better from medical "professionals").

Windigo, I'm sorry you've faced that kind of discrimination. It's unconsciousable.

What? They made pig sounds when you walked away? That's incredible, no medical professionals have stooped that low to me. That deserved a complaint!

Did your issue get resolved eventually?

What? They made pig sounds when you walked away? That's incredible, no medical professionals have stooped that low to me. That deserved a complaint!

Did your issue get resolved eventually?

I didn't bother to file a complaint because the doctor was in private practice. I just didn't go back.

Yes. I saw another doctor who prescribed a medication to help me pass the kidney stones so I didn't have to have surgery. Thanks for asking.

How are you doing now?

I didn't bother to file a complaint because the doctor was in private practice. I just didn't go back.

Yes. I saw another doctor who prescribed a medication to help me pass the kidney stones so I didn't have to have surgery. Thanks for asking.

How are you doing now?

Glad to hear it! Kidney stones are awful.

I have a hernia that can be operated on, but every surgeon says they will only do it if I lose weight OR if it becomes dangerous. I just live with it, don't want to trigger my ED into coming back, that would only cause more weight gain eventually. But it's frustrating to suffer constant pain for something that would be treated if I were not fat.

Glad to hear it! Kidney stones are awful.

I have a hernia that can be operated on, but every surgeon says they will only do it if I lose weight OR if it becomes dangerous. I just live with it, don't want to trigger my ED into coming back, that would only cause more weight gain eventually. But it's frustrating to suffer constant pain for something that would be treated if I were not fat.

Thank you.

I'm sorry you cannot find anyone willing to help. Have you considered contacting a patient advocate at your insurance company? I've had to go that route a few times in my own health journey. I wish you all the best.

1605709122001.png

Last edited:
The Thai Government have announced an additional measure to go some way to alleviate those who are suffering financially.

It's called "half-half" and on condition that you have the necessary App and are buying from a registered outlet, then you only pay half what the goods cost and the government pay the rest. I'm not sure how it works from the retailers standpoint but I obtained five pints on Tuesday at half price!

My wife had to complete the transaction, foreigners are not permitted to participate.

It's frequently said over here that the last two groups that you're permitted to make fun of are the overweight and hillbillies. Normally, I wouldn't even say "hillbillies," but I am one, so that's ok.

Not lately, fat shaming is a major no-no. Since shaming doesn't help anything, fat shaming should be discouraged.

Now, there is no doubt that obesity is a major problem, and leads to all kinds of health conditions, including diabetes, heart disease, and can be a complicating factor with Covid-19 -- breathing problems.

Hillbillies (Rednecks?) are a different animal, altogether.

Q: What were Bubba's last word's before he died?

A: "Hold my beer and watch this."

CD

Back
Top Bottom