How is the corona virus affecting you?

An Australian institute ranked 98 countries regarding the quality and efficacy of their responses to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Covid Performance - Lowy Institute

(scroll to the bottom of the page for the actual ranking)

The United States is in the bottom five, only better than Iran, Colombia, Mexico and Brazil.
Thank you so much for sharing, this is really great info. I'm surprised that Portugal is at 63rd right behind Israel, who has already vaccinated a big chunk of their population. Everyday for the last week or so, Portugal has been hitting record high numbers of deaths by Covid. There's already talks of sending portuguese Covid patients with other countries, we have requested help from Germany and other country I can't remember.

Thank you so much for sharing, this is really great info. I'm surprised that Portugal is at 63rd right behind Israel, who has already vaccinated a big chunk of their population. Everyday for the last week or so, Portugal has been hitting record high numbers of deaths by Covid. There's already talks of sending portuguese Covid patients with other countries, we have requested help from Germany and other country I can't remember.

I was very surprised to see the United States in the bottom five, only above Iran, Colombia, Mexico and Brazil.

However, when I look at the numbers in my state, it's pretty clear there is a disconnect somewhere. Currently, our Health Department has reported that they are inundated with calls and people wanting the vaccine just have to go on list (with no information on when they will become eligible for the vaccine). I'm not an essential worker so I'm at the bottom of the pile. ;-(

This is of yesterday's numbers...

vaccine distribution.png

Last edited:
I haven't been surprised to hear about Vaccine Vacations that some were taking to Florida before the state decided to start cracking down on the practice. I recall seeing a Brazilian TV star fly into Miami for a vaccine, because previously there was no enforcement of residency requirements. I really can't blame people for doing this if they have the opportunity.

The "system" of signing up for a vaccine is so haphazard that it's embarrassing. Last week, we tried to sign up my wife's mom (age 78 and with leukemia) for a vaccine. We couldn't get through the phone lines and the website crashed during the signup period. This week, we got everyone we knew ready to start calling at 8:30 a.m., since that's when the signup started. We even managed to drag our lazy kids out of bed before noon to help. One of us did get through, so now she has her vaccine appointment tomorrow. But, it's shameful that we needed to go to such lengths. I'm hopeful that will start to change as more doses become available.

I haven't been surprised to hear about Vaccine Vacations that some were taking to Florida before the state decided to start cracking down on the practice. I recall seeing a Brazilian TV star fly into Miami for a vaccine, because previously there was no enforcement of residency requirements. I really can't blame people for doing this if they have the opportunity.

The "system" of signing up for a vaccine is so haphazard that it's embarrassing. Last week, we tried to sign up my wife's mom (age 78 and with leukemia) for a vaccine. We couldn't get through the phone lines and the website crashed during the signup period. This week, we got everyone we knew ready to start calling at 8:30 a.m., since that's when the signup started. We even managed to drag our lazy kids out of bed before noon to help. One of us did get through, so now she has her vaccine appointment tomorrow. But, it's shameful that we needed to go to such lengths. I'm hopeful that will start to change as more doses become available.
Glad that at least one family member was able to get scheduled.

And, yes, the rollout has been very haphazard. I wonder how much easier this whole thing would have been if Trump didn't throw away Obama's pandemic playbook and fire key people in those positions.

I'll cross my fingers (and toes and eyes) for you that you all are able to get through sooner rather than later. ;-)

Portuguese government seems to think working from home means not working at all. If you get Covid you cannot get a medical leave if you're working remotely. Schools also closed and parents can ask for a leave to stay home and look after their children under 12, but once again you're not entitled to this support if you're working remotely.

Johnson & Johnson Vaccine to be available soon. The effectiveness is less than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines (72% vs ~92%) but still considered very effective. But, it's 85% effective as a preventative vaccine. More troubling, the vaccine has shown to be much less effective (57%) against the South African variant. This suggests that the other vaccines would also have a reduced efficacy against this strain, too.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine's big advantage is that it doesn't need to be stored in extreme cold, but rather in normal refrigeration.

Today three patients were transferred from the ICU in a Lisbon hospital, to the ICU of a hospital on the island of Madeira, which is part of Portugal but being administered by a somewhat independent government. Presumably, this was to free ICU beds in Lisbon as ICU occupation reached a record high today.

Johnson & Johnson Vaccine to be available soon. The effectiveness is less than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines (72% vs ~92%) but still considered very effective. But, it's 85% effective as a preventative vaccine. More troubling, the vaccine has shown to be much less effective (57%) against the South African variant. This suggests that the other vaccines would also have a reduced efficacy against this strain, too.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine's big advantage is that it doesn't need to be stored in extreme cold, but rather in normal refrigeration.

AstraZeneca is hitting hurdles getting production ramped up. Germany is also challenging Cambridge/AstraZeneca efficacy rates, particularly for those over 65. Not a good sign.

CD

AstraZeneca is hitting hurdles getting production ramped up. Germany is also challenging Cambridge/AstraZeneca efficacy rates, particularly for those over 65. Not a good sign.

CD
The challenge is not about efficacy in the over 65s it is that they say the data set for over 65s in the trials is too small to draw a final conclusion. So the suggestion from them is to focus the Pfizer product on the older population and give the Oxford vaccine to younger people until data is available. With regard to production, here in the UK production is going very well partly due to the British Government supporting AstraZenica in building up their facilities last year. No such help was given by the EU in the European facilities so of course they are still building up.

It should be noted that the EU only approved the Oxford vaccine yesterday so you have to ask why it took them six weeks longer to get it done than it did in Britain.

On the level.
Wife says the Sepsis brought on by the Covid is attacking the kidneys in some patients. She's a woman of few words but is handy with the butt naked truth.
I'll spare everyone pictures but if you don't take Sepsis seriously search it in Google Images. An eye opener.
For guys it defaults to their John Thomas and survive it or not it still looks like :
1612092073959.jpeg

I felt fatigue for the past day after the vaccination but Ibuprofen knocked that back.

Back
Top Bottom