How is the corona virus affecting you?

Sounds like my neck of the woods. The local health department's favorite refrain..."We just don't know at this time." to just about any question posed.
I forgot the funniest/saddest part (and indicative of the shambles this has been as a whole):

I'm in a small rural county, so the health department is in a building about the size of a filling station mini-mart. They have four entrances, one on each side of the building. It's a square building.

Went to Entrance B, sign-posted for the health department. Inside, a sign said, "For the health department," please proceed to the transaction window at Entrance C."

Back out, walked around to Entrance C. Went inside, and there's a little bank teller-style window: "May I help you?"

"Yes, I have a couple of questions about the vacc--"

"The health department is Entrance B. Thank you!"

"Wait! They have a sign up to come to the transaction window at Entrance C."

"Oh. Well, try the transaction window on the other side of the building."

Walked around to the opposite side of the building. Tried the door. Locked. Walked up and down the sidewalk, looking in windows. A woman finally opened the door.

"Can i help you?" - she sounded quite annoyed.

"Yes, I'm trying to find the health department. I've been in B, that directed me to C, and I went there and was directed here. I just have a couple of questions for them about the vacc--"

"Well, we're in training right now. If you stand out here or wait in your car, someone will be outside in a little while."

Eventually, someone did come out, and at least I got my questions answered, but it was like some kind of absurdist comedy, walking around a building the size of a postage stamp, knowing that inside, it's just one big <bleeping> room. 😒

I forgot the funniest/saddest part (and indicative of the shambles this has been as a whole):

I'm in a small rural county, so the health department is in a building about the size of a filling station mini-mart. They have four entrances, one on each side of the building. It's a square building.

Went to Entrance B, sign-posted for the health department. Inside, a sign said, "For the health department," please proceed to the transaction window at Entrance C."

Back out, walked around to Entrance C. Went inside, and there's a little bank teller-style window: "May I help you?"

"Yes, I have a couple of questions about the vacc--"

"The health department is Entrance B. Thank you!"

"Wait! They have a sign up to come to the transaction window at Entrance C."

"Oh. Well, try the transaction window on the other side of the building."

Walked around to the opposite side of the building. Tried the door. Locked. Walked up and down the sidewalk, looking in windows. A woman finally opened the door.

"Can i help you?" - she sounded quite annoyed.

"Yes, I'm trying to find the health department. I've been in B, that directed me to C, and I went there and was directed here. I just have a couple of questions for them about the vacc--"

"Well, we're in training right now. If you stand out here or wait in your car, someone will be outside in a little while."

Eventually, someone did come out, and at least I got my questions answered, but it was like some kind of absurdist comedy, walking around a building the size of a postage stamp, knowing that inside, it's just one big <bleeping> room. 😒

I live in an urban/suburban county with an IKEA, a Hyatt Regency, and 450-something restaurants, and I have NO idea where to go, or how to get signed up for a Covid vaccination. My dad is 88, my mom 86, and they can't get on a list in Houston, the forth largest city in the USA. Trump dumped everything on the States, with each State having their own "plan." Well, the Texas plan is, as usual, pass it down to the counties and cities -- and don't spend any money on it. So, in the land of low taxes, nobody has a clue what is going on. My sister is an RN at a major hospital, and she can't get my parents their shots.

But, we have low taxes!

CD

I live in an urban/suburban county with an IKEA, a Hyatt Regency, and 450-something restaurants, and I have NO idea where to go, or how to get signed up for a Covid vaccination. My dad is 88, my mom 86, and they can't get on a list in Houston, the forth largest city in the USA. Trump dumped everything on the States, with each State having their own "plan." Well, the Texas plan is, as usual, pass it down to the counties and cities -- and don't spend any money on it. So, in the land of low taxes, nobody has a clue what is going on. My sister is an RN at a major hospital, and she can't get my parents their shots.

But, we have low taxes!

CD
You've probably already seen this, but in case you haven't, I'll go ahead and post it. Like here, it seems to tantalize just enough info to give you some hope, but nothing simple and straightforward:

Vaccine Information | Frisco, TX - Official Website

Reactions: mjd
You've probably already seen this, but in case you haven't, I'll go ahead and post it. Like here, it seems to tantalize just enough info to give you some hope, but nothing simple and straightforward:

Vaccine Information | Frisco, TX - Official Website

I can't get your linked website up -- just an error message. Par for the course, eh?

The city of Frisco is run better than most cities in North Texas, but they depend on the State of Texas for information, and the State is still trying to get a grip on the vaccine thing. Bottom line, there was no national plan -- I know it is hard to believe, but Trump lied to us.

CD

One of the thing that worried me recently was my younger brother in the UK. His work as a volunteer Governor of an NHS mental health trust means he visits wards and interacts with patients. He also volunteers for a food bank in a tough area of Salford. The Trust had him vaccinated on Monday. The food bank job is quite dangerous as addicts try to intimidate the female volunteers.

I can't get your linked website up -- just an error message. Par for the course, eh?

The city of Frisco is run better than most cities in North Texas, but they depend on the State of Texas for information, and the State is still trying to get a grip on the vaccine thing. Bottom line, there was no national plan -- I know it is hard to believe, but Trump lied to us.

CD

Here is what the website says:

I am thinking how some big socially festive holidays are coming up, Carneval, Mardi Gras in the USA, and then Spring Break for College and University Students. I was wondering what kind of COVID19 peaks will result as these holidays pass.

CD
I found it by googling "frisco tx Covid vaccine," - one of the first results that comes up is that "official" site. Maybe try that. I just checked the link and it popped up again for me. Maybe they only want out-of-state folks to know. :)

I am thinking how some big socially festive holidays are coming up, Carneval, Mardi Gras in the USA, and then Spring Break for College and University Students. I was wondering what kind of COVID19 peaks will result as these holidays pass.
Probably the same as we saw over Labor Day...and Halloween...and Thanksgiving...and Christmas... :(

In NOLA, traditional Mardi Gras has been cancelled. They are doing drive by events by some Krewes and some are decorating their homes like at Christmas, but for Mardi Gras.

Apparently, Rio has postponed Carnivale indefinitely.

I'm sure some will have private parties, so, as TR wrote, there will probably be a spike like at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Meanwhile, on a distant planet far removed from Earth (and reality), the International Olympic Committee are still saying that the postponed Tokyo Olympics are certain to go ahead. What? Even if you have no spectators, how many people would be involved? The Olympics comprises vast numbers of sports and thousands of competitors. Add to that all of the officials required (judges, referees, umpires, etc.) plus trainers, physios and goodness knows what else and you're probably into tens of thousands.

Meanwhile, on a distant planet far removed from Earth (and reality), the International Olympic Committee are still saying that the postponed Tokyo Olympics are certain to go ahead. What? Even if you have no spectators, how many people would be involved? The Olympics comprises vast numbers of sports and thousands of competitors. Add to that all of the officials required (judges, referees, umpires, etc.) plus trainers, physios and goodness knows what else and you're probably into tens of thousands.

Their five year mission: To seek out, find and destroy new life forms ... wherever the little buggers crop up in the galaxy ...

• Wow
Reactions: mjd
In addition, the people of Tokyo don't want it to happen.

Poll finds 80% favor canceling or postponing Tokyo Olympics

It is insanity from the IOC.

Why don't they just postpone it until next year? Fairest on Tokyo and the athletes. Push back the whole programme by two years.
They covered this on the evening news the other night and whatever Olympic committee mucky-muck was on there came right out and said there's too much money at stake to postpone it.

At least he was honest and didn't try and couch it in terms of athletes deserving the chance to compete, etc, etc.

Back
Top Bottom