How is the corona virus affecting you?

I have no medical training or medical knowledge whatsoever. So can someone explain to me why we've had the flu virus for 100 years plus and never developed a vaccine but we have had this Covid-19 for only two years and have vaccines coming out of our ears (so to speak)?

I have no medical training or medical knowledge whatsoever. So can someone explain to me why we've had the flu virus for 100 years plus and never developed a vaccine but we have had this Covid-19 for only two years and have vaccines coming out of our ears (so to speak)?

You are misinformed. People vaccinate against various flu virus strains, every year. That's what a flu shot is.

There is a new flu vaccine every year. However, the formula is based on a "best guess" of what forms of flu will be prevalent that year. So, some years, the shots are very effective, and other years, not so much.

The big one is the common cold, which is a virus, and there is not a vaccine for it.

CD

She heard a new one yesterday from a Veterinarian (a DOCTOR) about How Bill Gates intervened in vaccine development to make the vaccine make people politically docile, so the "Deep State" can control people. What's next?
Blimey - I'm glad he's an animal doctor not a people doctor.

There are flu vaccines. Personally have never taken a flu vacc.
Probably had flu several times, but not every winter.
Did not seem to leave consequences, so never considered flu vaccing.
If I were a person with respiratory issues or any other, might.

There is a new flu vaccine every year. However, the formula is based on a "best guess" of what forms of flu will be prevalent that year. So, some years, the shots are very effective, and other years, not so much.

The big one is the common cold, which is a virus, and there is not a vaccine for it.

CD
Yep, sometimes bacteria settle after the virus, in the throat e.g., so one might need meds to heal that too.

There are flu vaccines. Personally have never taken a flu vacc.
Probably had flu several times, but not every winter.
Did not seem to leave consequences, so never considered flu vaccing.
If I were a person with respiratory issues or any other, might.

My point is that the "unbelievers" who believe the Covid-19 virus is not dangerous quote that there is a greater number of people who die from flu every year than those that die of the Covid-19 virus.

I think it was Tracy on Farcebook who revealed this.

I had flu once, by which I mean knock-you-out-completely flu, not a glorified cold. I was 28 and reasonably fit. I still played football and cricket in those days.

I was off work for two weeks and for the first week, I could barely move. Even going to the paper shop round the corner from where I lived left me feeling like I'd just run a marathon. I spent most of the first week in bed and I still felt weak for a couple of weeks after I went back to work. I reckon it took about two months for me to fully get over it.

It has always made me laugh when I have seen people coming back to work after a day or two off and announcing that they "had the flu." Yeah, of course you did.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that full-blown flu is a filthy thing, but even that pales compared to the stuff going round now. Obviously, different people get different strains and have different immune systems, but it's something I wouldn't want to get ever again.

I've had flu twice. Once when I was 13-14 and it took a couple of weeks before I felt decent again.

The second time was in my mid 30s. My experience was like Duck59 's above that time.

I have never gotten a flu vaccine because A) I work from home so that greatly reduces exposure. B) I have allergies to lots and lots and lots of meds. The last time I got a tetanus booster made my COVID arm (that I still have a little from last thursday) look like a mosquito bite in comparison. So, quite simply, I'm afraid to. Though as I'm getting older and more vulnerable may change my stance on that.

I was really afraid to get the COVID vaccine and thought long and hard about it, finally deciding the benefits outweighed the risks. However, I'm a bit worried about getting a booster in the future that the experts are saying might be necessary after my reaction to the second shot.

My point is that the "unbelievers" who believe the Covid-19 virus is not dangerous quote that there is a greater number of people who die from flu every year than those that die of the Covid-19 virus.

Ooh that is what you meant, sorry, my bad, I missunderstood taking it too literally.
Well, there were and are people who laughed at masks and refused wearing them, and were belittling the virus. It does not help. No need to panic, but a serious approach is far more useful.

Statistics are twistable. Some misuse them.

But flu has not destroyed the global economy and existence. Not that I know of. I agree with you.

*SIGH* I am getting behind in reporting on the toll that COVID has taken on my family. Here's where things stand:
  • My dad died last August after having breathing problems. He was never diagnosed.
  • One of my wife's uncles (age 90) died from COVID last summer
  • One of my wife's aunts (age 89) died from COVID 2 months later
  • One of my wife's cousins (age 50) just died this past Sunday
  • At least 4 other family members have been hospitalized, and subsequently recovered.
This doesn't include people who might have caught it without realizing it.

Each year, 250,000 - 500,000 die from the flu globally. COVID has killed over 3 million globally in a little over a year. So, COVID "wins" (and we all lose).

Back
Top Bottom