How is the corona virus affecting you?

Just for fun, the state with the lowest vaccination rate is Alabama, at about 27%, and the state with the highest is Vermont, with about 54%, so Ohio is right about in the middle, like the good average state we are. :)

That's fully vaccinated.

Just for fun, the state with the lowest vaccination rate is Alabama, at about 27%, and the state with the highest is Vermont, with about 54%, so Ohio is right about in the middle, like the good average state we are. :)

That's fully vaccinated.
I think California is likely a high percentage, though I haven't looked. Just guessing because it's mostly democrats. Sad that I can probably stereotype the vaccine percentages based on politics.

I think California is likely a high percentage, though I haven't looked. Just guessing because it's mostly democrats. Sad that I can probably stereotype the vaccine percentages based on politics.

It is indeed. Here, political party allegiances don't come into it at all.

I fully expect that in 2-3 years time there will be a combined flu and covid shot for those with a higher risk and in 10 years it will just become a normal part of living.
We hardly had any flu cases over the past year. Another great reason to still wear a mask in public.

People don't talk about pertussis much (whooping cough) in adults, but that's so dangerous for babies that if you haven't been vaccinated for that and you have little ones in your family, you should get it.

And interesting that I had a conversation with some people who were adamant about not getting vaccinated, saying that the vaccines are made from the virus and that people can get COVID from the vaccine. I pointed out that this wasn't true and tried to explain how the vaccines worked (to deaf ears because they knew it all and I know nothing). And then I seemingly changed the subject and mentioned how much I love Mexico and Canada. I then asked them if they had ever been out of the country, and they were like oh yes, and excitedly started talking about all the great places they have visited. And then I casually mentioned that because when they were children they were vaccinated for measles, rubella, polio, and a host of other viruses, that is the only reason they were allowed out of the country to begin with, and some of those vaccines (still used) were made using dead virus particles but the COVID vaccines used in the US are not, so what's the hesitation?

California is at about 43%. The wilds of the north are dragging them down. :laugh:

The problem with that is that vaccinated folk can have the virus, exhibit no symptoms and breath it everywhere thus infecting the unvaccinated, especially in an enclosed space. I fear that the rules will relax here soon. And I think its too soon.

Good news. The newest data from a study in Israel shows that, although possible, it is unlikely that a fully vaccinated person can infect an unvaccinated person, even if the vaccinated person becomes infected.

Apparently, the immune system of the fully vaccinated person seriously degrades the virus to a point that it has little ability to spread. The fully vaccinated person becomes a "dead end" for the virus.

There is another large scale study in progress in the US right now to see how the Israeli study holds up.

Source: Dr. Fauci.

CD

Here, we're swimming in vaccines now and they're free to the recipient, so if a person isn't vaccinated, it's their choice and their chance, excepting those few who have some previous medical history that prevents getting it.

My county looks like it's going to level off at around 35% vaccinated. That's everyone who wants one. We're down to single digits for daily shots. By the time we get back home, there will be no government-mandated restrictions, and we fully expect the majority of businesses to move to masks optional very quickly after that.

If everyone who wants the shot has had it, there really isn't much point in not moving forward, because the remainder to get us to herd immunity will have to come from infections.

I was (and still am) fully in favor everyone looking out for everyone else, except we've gotten to (or are quickly approaching) the point where the unvaccinated are unvaccinated by choice, it's not like a lot of the rest of the world where people who want to get vaccinated still can't. If we were at that stage, I wouldn't be as accepting as I am of the inevitable dropping of restrictions.

The government, the CDC, the WHO, and the local medical authorities here have all done everything they can do (apart from making it mandatory) to get as many people as possible vaccinated, and we're rapidly approaching that point. Once that happens, you may as well open back up, because the vaccination numbers aren't going to get any better.

Same here where I live. If you haven't been vaccinated by now, it's your own choice. The are free, and easily available -- without an appointment!

CD

California is at about 43%. The wilds of the north are dragging them down. :laugh:

California is not monolithic politically. Like Texas (yes Texas), the big cities favor the Democratic Party, while the rural areas and many suburbs favor Republicans.

CD

California is not monolithic politically. Like Texas (yes Texas), the big cities favor the Democratic Party, while the rural areas and many suburbs favor Republicans.

CD
That's true in a lot of states. For whatever reason, more liberally-minded people gravitate to cities. Minnesota was like that, Pennsylvania is sort of like that, Ohio is like that as well (usually).

That's true in a lot of states. For whatever reason, more liberally-minded people gravitate to cities. Minnesota was like that, Pennsylvania is sort of like that, Ohio is like that as well (usually).
Atlanta Georgia and it's suburbs.

Florida should probably be split into 2 states, the North and the South because of political leanings and the social differences.
In Northwest Florida, the coastal communities lean left, but if you go 25 miles North anywhere along the panhandle of Florida, it's red. Where I grew up in Destin all of my friends were either democrat or independent, but in Milton, Crestview, Niceville, etc. (just below the Alabama line) the majority were republican. Same thing over in Panama City, FL. The beachies were lefties and north Panama City were republicans.

Back
Top Bottom