How is the corona virus affecting you?

I know, but then lockdown was pretty dam efficient, we were locked down while seeing you Brits partying in Spain and around Europe. Same with muricans at the beaches.

Russ
Exactly. I know you are not a supporter of Ardern, but rapid shutting of your border worked. As the latest example here, between the new variant being found in India and the country bring put on the red list 10,500 people travelled to and back from India and the UK without proper quarantine. The dumb thing was, if your relative died in the UK ( as two of mine did) you could only have 30 at the funeral and they should only have travelled locally. However, if your relative had died in India, you could travel 8,000 miles on compassionate grounds and attend an unlimited funeral before returning and being trusted to stay home unchecked for 10 days.
Guess what: we have another wave of infections driven by the Indian variant.

We however have a high vaccination rate, you do not. So where as we are still on a path away from domestic destruction, NZ looks like it may have to stay isolated for a long time yet because of the weakness of the vaccination program.

Exactly. I know you are not a supporter of Ardern, but rapid shutting of your border worked. As the latest example here, between the new variant being found in India and the country bring put on the red list 10,500 people travelled to and back from India and the UK without proper quarantine. The dumb thing was, if your relative died in the UK ( as two of mine did) you could only have 30 at the funeral and they should only have travelled locally. However, if your relative had died in India, you could travel 8,000 miles on compassionate grounds and attend an unlimited funeral before returning and being trusted to stay home unchecked for 10 days.

We however have a high vaccination rate, you do not. So where as we are still on a path away from domestic destruction, NZ looks like it may have to stay isolated for a long time yet because of the weakness of the vaccination program.

Google Jacinta Ardern comrades speech. Then you will know the true Ardern.

Russ

And our borders open to India now. Hello !!!!!

Russ

And our borders open to India now. Hello !!!!!

Russ
Are they? Again the BBC is saying only Australia is open to you, with discussions to extend your bubble to Fiji and certain Polynesian islands.

Is it that travellers from India have to quarantine in government controlled hotels? Because here the border security just asked people to pinkie promise to stay home and not just carry on with their normal lives

I got my second jab an hour ago. My husband had his full vaccination yesterday so we're protected now.

Husband has a low fever and is feeling queasy, but otherwise ok.

That's great! Keep in mind its at least 3 weeks before the full protection kicks in - some say 5 weeks.

While many people want the vaccine, it seems that others don't think protecting them from dying is incentive enough. Among the incentives I've seen for people to get a vaccine are free beer vouchers, a lottery for free flights on United Airlines, free doughnuts at Krispy Kreme, a $1 million lottery prize in Ohio, $1.5 million in California, a fishing license in Maine, hunting rifles in West Virginia, a $1.4 million apartment in Hong Kong, and this:

Cattle for raffle gets Thai town in moood for vaccines

While many people want the vaccine, it seems that others don't think protecting them from dying is incentive enough. Among the incentives I've seen for people to get a vaccine are free beer vouchers, a lottery for free flights on United Airlines, free doughnuts at Krispy Kreme, a $1 million lottery prize in Ohio, $1.5 million in California, a fishing license in Maine, hunting rifles in West Virginia, a $1.4 million apartment in Hong Kong, and this:

Cattle for raffle gets Thai town in moood for vaccines
Kroger just announced they're also having a vaccine lottery, for those who received their shots at Kroger...which includes me. 😬

Maidstone (where I live) has new cases of the Delta variant (was known as the Indian variant). What is more, they are in my specific postcode. This is a small area:

The area of the ME14 1 postcode sector is 0.26 square miles which is 0.68 square kilometres or 168.47 square acres.

They are a small number of cases (20, I think) but anyone in this area is being urged to get a Covid test so any spread can be monitored. The main site of the infection seems to be the Quaker Meeting house which is literally down the road from me. Ironically this is where the mobile testing unit is going to be set up. We are being urged to get tested even if we are double jabbed. So, I suppose I will need to go.

Back
Top Bottom