How is the corona virus affecting you?

Well I won't watch the local news because of it. Every day X more people died. I simply do not care how many, save them if you can but if not, It is the concern of their families. Not mine.

I do not mean they are insignificant, no, but how many I just don't care. They do that to scare you.

We have 300,000,000, a million people is not even 1%.

T

*SIGH* I am getting behind in reporting on the toll that COVID has taken on my family. Here's where things stand:
  • My dad died last August after having breathing problems. He was never diagnosed.
  • One of my wife's uncles (age 90) died from COVID last summer
  • One of my wife's aunts (age 89) died from COVID 2 months later
  • One of my wife's cousins (age 50) just died this past Sunday
  • At least 4 other family members have been hospitalized, and subsequently recovered.
This doesn't include people who might have caught it without realizing it.
I am slowly getting through posts. I am so sorry for your and your wife's losses, The Late Night Gourmet.

As of today 80% of UK adults have had at least one jab, and vaccination will be open to everybody over 18 from tomorrow.

I know, but then lockdown was pretty dam efficient, we were locked down while seeing you Brits partying in Spain and around Europe. Same with muricans at the beaches.

Russ
Well I am glad you now feel as if the lockdown was both smart and efficient. If leaders in all countries were as savvy as yours. Of course it is a lot easier to do a proper lockdown when you live in an island country.

Well I am glad you now feel as if the lockdown was both smart and efficient. If leaders in all countries were as savvy as yours. Of course it is a lot easier to do a proper lockdown when you live in an island country.
I live in an island country 😡

It appears that between the delta variant being identified in India and our PM finally putting India on the 'Red' list, 20,000 people travelled from the UK to the country and back. Apparently they were allowed to go to funerals, but most lied and just went to see family for a holiday, so seeding the highly transmissible version right across Britain. Now our release from restrictions has been delayed and we once again have the highest infection rate in Europe.

It beats me how a government that has got vaccination so right still manages to screw up every other aspect of controlling this virus.

So I went to the doctor today for my 6 month followup to some new BP meds, and while there, I told my doctor that I was still wearing my mask in public even though the mask mandate had been lifted (it's still a requirement at my health group for masks to be worn by all staff and clients) and that I didn't want to go to eat at restaurants or be around unvaccinated people. I told her that some people in my family had been dismissive of my concerns and have told me I am being silly and overly worried for no reason.

I asked my doctor's opinion, and she told me that I was being smart, not overly cautious. She said that the statistics were that 1 out of 10 people who had been vaccinated would still get COVID-19, although not all of them would be symptomatic. She said that the numbers might be a lot lower than they were for cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, but they were still far too high and perhaps were being underreported. She also pointed out that testing was not being conducted as much as it had been before.

My doctor also told me that she hadn't eaten at a restaurant since 2019 and that she is still doing online grocery shopping and avoiding going inside of places. She said that she and her family had not traveled anywhere and had no plans on doing so anytime soon. She also told me that they just had her son's high school graduation party and that only vaccinated people had been invited. She said even though everyone there had been vaccinated, she still did an outdoor venue and spaced tables apart from each other and grouped families together. She also said that her son told her he wanted to keep wearing his mask because it makes him feel safe and he had really liked not catching a cold over the past year (me too).

My doctor said that in her opinion, our state (and other states) jumped the gun in lifting the mask mandates and that the CDC loosening the guidelines on what is safe for vaccinated and unvaccinated people to do is premature. She told me that the Delta variant is quite dangerous and when it hits the US, it's going to cause a wave of horrible illness in those who have not been vaccinated, especially as it is getting younger people quite ill, and cases were bound to spike upwards in the near future. Her advice was that I continue to be cautious and concerned, because this virus is not done with us yet.

So I went to the doctor today for my 6 month followup to some new BP meds, and while there, I told my doctor that I was still wearing my mask in public even though the mask mandate had been lifted (it's still a requirement at my health group for masks to be worn by all staff and clients) and that I didn't want to go to eat at restaurants or be around unvaccinated people. I told her that some people in my family had been dismissive of my concerns and have told me I am being silly and overly worried for no reason.

I asked my doctor's opinion, and she told me that I was being smart, not overly cautious. She said that the statistics were that 1 out of 10 people who had been vaccinated would still get COVID-19, although not all of them would be symptomatic. She said that the numbers might be a lot lower than they were for cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, but they were still far too high and perhaps were being underreported. She also pointed out that testing was not being conducted as much as it had been before.

My doctor also told me that she hadn't eaten at a restaurant since 2019 and that she is still doing online grocery shopping and avoiding going inside of places. She said that she and her family had not traveled anywhere and had no plans on doing so anytime soon. She also told me that they just had her son's high school graduation party and that only vaccinated people had been invited. She said even though everyone there had been vaccinated, she still did an outdoor venue and spaced tables apart from each other and grouped families together. She also said that her son told her he wanted to keep wearing his mask because it makes him feel safe and he had really liked not catching a cold over the past year (me too).

My doctor said that in her opinion, our state (and other states) jumped the gun in lifting the mask mandates and that the CDC loosening the guidelines on what is safe for vaccinated and unvaccinated people to do is premature. She told me that the Delta variant is quite dangerous and when it hits the US, it's going to cause a wave of horrible illness in those who have not been vaccinated, especially as it is getting younger people quite ill, and cases were bound to spike upwards in the near future. Her advice was that I continue to be cautious and concerned, because this virus is not done with us yet.
not sure what to give. Happy about the advice, but sad about the information.

not sure what to give. Happy about the advice, but sad about the information.
Me too. But glad she didn't think I was being paranoid, because there are several people in my family who pretty much said I was being ridiculous, which hurt my feelings. I trust her opinion on medical matters far more than I do them (none of them are in the healthcare profession).

Sounds as if you have a smart doctor. I'm certainly following her advice and haven't been to a restaurant since early 2020 (pre COVID). I have sat outside a Pub at a socially distanced table once recently. Even then I didn't enjoy it that much. I didn't feel safe to use the toilet...

Sounds as if you have a smart doctor. I'm certainly following her advice and haven't been to a restaurant since early 2020 (pre COVID). I have sat outside a Pub at a socially distanced table once recently. Even then I didn't enjoy it that much. I didn't feel safe to use the toilet...

I went to a restaurant two days ago for lunch. Masks are not required in Texas, pretty much anywhere. The staff at the restaurant wore masks. You still look at the menu on your smart phone using a QR Code on the table, but that may be here to stay -- it saves the restaurant money. The tables were clean and still socially distanced.

I felt comfortable. The food wasn't very good, but I didn't fear for my health. The friend I was with is fully vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine, and I am with the Pfizer, and we were the only people close by, other the the waitress who was wearing a mask.

CD

I have finally got a couple appointments for the two vaccination shots (moderna). The Johnson and Johnson shots were free walk ins, but the moderna shots were by appointment only.

I was putting the shots off, because in a way, I have already been vaccinated, having had the virus itself back in late February of 2020 when the virus first started showing up in the USA. That was a lollapalooza for sure. I didn't suffer much in the way of respiratory distress, but instead, an incredibly severe cytokene storm immune response. That alone almost knocked me over, totally fatiguing me to the point that I couldn't even stand up in the shower. And I got clobbered by muscle aches and dizzyness. It lasted 3 days before I started feeling well again. The side effects of the Johnson and Johnson vaccination as I have read them described, sound very similar to the cytokene storm immune response symptoms. I wasn't wanting to go through that again.

Anyway, since I had already suffered the virus, I figured that I would put off the vaccination and allow folks who really needed it to get in there first.

Back in Frebruary 2020, if you had the virus, nobody believed you, unless you died from it and were autopsied. I reported it and was asked two questions - "have you travelled abroad recently?" and "Have you been exposed to somebody who is known to have had the virus?" When I answered no to both questions, I was told to go about my business. What a joke? I took precautions, regardless, and avoided people contact and when I went to VA appointments, warned the doctors and staff, who promptly, made up their minds to start using masks. I am among a certain number of Californians who were never properly diagnosed as having had the virus and never became part of the statistics.

It wasn't until March and April of 2020 that they started to discover from autopsies of people who died in my area, that the virus was indeed, in the area, perhaps as early as December and even November, of 2019. Of course, the leaders at CDC seemed to be only interested in working deals to give certain companies exclusive rights to fabricating respirators and not, to sincerely tracking and stopping the virus outbreak.

Last edited:
I went to a restaurant two days ago for lunch. Masks are not required in Texas, pretty much anywhere. The staff at the restaurant wore masks. You still look at the menu on your smart phone using a QR Code on the table, but that may be here to stay -- it saves the restaurant money. The tables were clean and still socially distanced.

I felt comfortable. The food wasn't very good, but I didn't fear for my health. The friend I was with is fully vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine, and I am with the Pfizer, and we were the only people close by, other the the waitress who was wearing a mask.

CD
Masks are required here when you go in the restaurant and all service staff have them on, they are only allowed to be off when you eat. Otherwise our rules are much the same.

It works, our covid deaths currently are the lowest they've ever been (only 8 cases last week) and not even half of the population is vaccinated yet so the rules definitely keep things safer than without them.

In 2020 we have only once been to a restaurant where we know the owner, and he had put us in a seperate private spot. This year we've been once, with all the above rules in place and after we were both vaccinated. We will keep going when we can, provided it's still done this way.

I have finally got a couple appointments for the two vaccination shots (moderna). The Johnson and Johnson shots were free walk ins, but the moderna shots were by appointment only.

I was putting the shots off, because in a way, I have already been vaccinated, having had the virus itself back in late February of 2020 when the virus first started showing up in the USA. That was a lollapalooza for sure. I didn't suffer much in the way of respiratory distress, but instead, an incredibly severe cytokene storm immune response. That alone almost knocked me over, totally fatiguing me to the point that I couldn't even stand up in the shower. And I got clobbered by muscle aches and dizzyness. It lasted 3 days before I started feeling well again. The side effects of the Johnson and Johnson vaccination as I have read them described, sound very similar to the cytokene storm immune response symptoms. I wasn't wanting to go through that again.

Anyway, since I had already suffered the virus, I figured that I would put off the vaccination and allow folks who really needed it to get in there first.

Back in Frebruary 2020, if you had the virus, nobody believed you, unless you died from it and were autopsied. I reported it and was asked two questions - "have you travelled abroad recently?" and "Have you been exposed to somebody who is known to have had the virus?" When I answered no to both questions, I was told to go about my business. What a joke? I took precautions, regardless, and avoided people contact and when I went to VA appointments, warned the doctors and staff, who promptly, made up their minds to start using masks. I am among a certain number of Californians who were never properly diagnosed as having had the virus and never became part of the statistics.

It wasn't until March and April of 2020 that they started to discover from autopsies of people who died in my area, that the virus was indeed, in the area, perhaps as early as December and even November, of 2019. Of course, the leaders at CDC seemed to be only interested in working deals to give certain companies exclusive rights to fabricating respirators and not, to sincerely tracking and stopping the virus outbreak.
I'm glad you decided to get vaccinated. The mutated strains that are dominant in the US currently are not the same as the virus strain that was circulating at the time you believe you were affected, so it's quite possible you would become very ill if exposed. It was also proven during clinical trials that the immune response from receiving the vaccine is vastly superior to that of natural immunity. It additionally is suspected that antibodies could diminish in as little as 6 months, which means you are highly susceptible to contracting Covid-19.

Now, I don't bother wearing a mask unless I'm asked to. :whistling:
It is a possibility that vaccinated people can be asymptomatic carriers and unwittingly infect other people. Since there have been breakthrough infections where vaccinated people have contracted the virus and there are still many unvaccinated people out there, I don't want to risk being responsible for spreading the virus to someone else. I still wear a mask to keep others safe too, it's not all about me.

Back
Top Bottom