How is the corona virus affecting you?

Well I just posted my husband had recovered yesterday, apparently not. He's had a major headache, felt sick and had trouble eating, and was suddenly coughing violently again. Going tomorrow we'll both have been ill for two weeks.
I had serious muscle cramps again too. This is not a regular cold, that's for sure.
Sorry to hear that. You will beat this soon.

I have a bit of a cough and snuffles, could be a touch of hayfever because I have been outside gardening, either way not going to risk it.

Hopefully no one we know will catch it, but things have started to change dramatically in the States. From simply encouraging people to wash their hands, we now have all sporting events shut down until further notice.

For some reason, people seem to be obsessed with buying toilet paper; there are many places where those supplies are cleaned out (so to speak). We've been gradually stocking up on canned goods and dry goods. I'm hoping we will be able to still get fresh meats and vegetables.

In Michigan, Universities have already gone to on-line-only instruction. High schools and earlier are closed starting Monday for the next few weeks. However, "closed" doesn't adequately describe it. I had thought this meant that the students would get an early break for a few weeks. Instead, there are plans in place to either do Web Chats, where a live lesson will be conducted, or "packet learning", where a packet of materials will be distributed to students.

I work for Ford Motor Company, and I've had a laptop for many years. We are now being told to stay home until further notice. We are allowed to borrow monitors and docking stations, which would normally stay at work. I have worked remotely for a few hours - up to a day - at a time with just my laptop. But, I can't see trying to sustain my normal workload with just a touchpad and a small monitor.

Life goes on.
Not having internet access on my laptop from Sunday to yesterday afternoon, I would have gone to the library yesterday and possibly Monday but that wasn't an option due to the libraries being closed. Thank goodness for AT&T helping me get back online.

Not having internet access on my laptop

This is one thing I worry about - there is no evidence that the increased traffic due to the virus will cause issues, but lack of support workers at internet providers could, I suppose. For me personally, its a very important part of what I do every day.

As awful and scary this is, it has brought out peoples kindness and generosity to others, maybe new friendships have been made. Hopefully this will continue when it is all over.

This is one thing I worry about - there is no evidence that the increased traffic due to the virus will cause issues, but lack of support workers at internet providers could, I suppose. For me personally, its a very important part of what I do every day.
I would gone crazy without being here I see two people in four days! This site has become lifeline for me.
Sarana x

I work for a tier 1 network provider......things would have to get VERY bad before we start seeing networks go down. The core networks are very resilient and don't actually need many people to keep them going (the vast majority will re-route automatically if there are problems) - I know of at least one major UK network provider who took proactive steps more than 2 weeks ago to protect their network operations staff, my employer has also put measures in place and I expect everyone else in the industry has too - we can't afford not to. We have also been increasing capacity where we can. The last time I can recall the internet reaching seriously compromised was 9/11, and most of that was because a number of important nodes were taken out, rather than just increased traffic.

In practical terms you may experience slower internet performance at times - interestingly Ofcom have reported that in the UK at least we are far from reaching capacity: whilst they are seeing more daytime traffic than normal it is still nowhere near the normal evening peak. Many of the content providers (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) have reduced quality to reduce bandwidth utilisation just in case.

Any connectivity issues you experience are likely to either be local ones (local to you or local to the site you're trying to reach) caused by external factors such as cable cuts from digger drivers, extreme weather, etc. All service providers will have contingency plans to keep field engineer coverage in place.

Please don't worry about this.

We talk, quite rightly, of the selfishness of certain individuals in these circumstances, but the behaviour of some very large companies is frankly odious.

Take EasyJet for example. This is an airline that makes such vast profits that they have just handed out a £171 million dividend to shareholders. This includes £60 million to its founder, a billionaire tax exile who lives in Monaco. Yet this bunch are squealing about not getting a handout from the government.

I'd give my crocodile a Kleenex if there were any to be found.

Ciao a tutti,
So I have letter saying I isolate 12 weeks, post just come. I understand why but will be hard. I very gregarious woman be alone not my nature, I come from large family at home in Napoli when I young there 11 of us in house. Since I marry Ray I always have him then my 4 bambini. I do not even have dog or cat for company I allergic. Neighbour and friends always come for chat and coffee no now to dangerous.
I talk with Luca with skype Maria, Antonio an Allessandro also.
My instinct is help people but can not. It break my heart when I see other struggle. Many where I am elderly. We beat this thing if fight together, and when we won I have big party for neighbours in garden. I make so much food they will no able to move!!

If stay strong we be OK.
Love to all.
Sarana x

I work for a tier 1 network provider......things would have to get VERY bad before we start seeing networks go down. The core networks are very resilient and don't actually need many people to keep them going (the vast majority will re-route automatically if there are problems) - I know of at least one major UK network provider who took proactive steps more than 2 weeks ago to protect their network operations staff, my employer has also put measures in place and I expect everyone else in the industry has too - we can't afford not to. We have also been increasing capacity where we can. The last time I can recall the internet reaching seriously compromised was 9/11, and most of that was because a number of important nodes were taken out, rather than just increased traffic.

In practical terms you may experience slower internet performance at times - interestingly Ofcom have reported that in the UK at least we are far from reaching capacity: whilst they are seeing more daytime traffic than normal it is still nowhere near the normal evening peak. Many of the content providers (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) have reduced quality to reduce bandwidth utilisation just in case.

Any connectivity issues you experience are likely to either be local ones (local to you or local to the site you're trying to reach) caused by external factors such as cable cuts from digger drivers, extreme weather, etc. All service providers will have contingency plans to keep field engineer coverage in place.

Please don't worry about this.

Thank you for the detail on this - it is most reassuring!

Well I just posted my husband had recovered yesterday, apparently not. He's had a major headache, felt sick and had trouble eating, and was suddenly coughing violently again. Going tomorrow we'll both have been ill for two weeks.
I had serious muscle cramps again too. This is not a regular cold, that's for sure.
I've read a few accounts like that, where people feel bad one day, better the next, then bad again the next day after that, and so on.

I've also read that two weeks is the usual course for this thing - you may need to think about getting hospital care if this goes on much longer, especially if pneumonia sets in.

I've read a few accounts like that, where people feel bad one day, better the next, then bad again the next day after that, and so on.

I've also read that two weeks is the usual course for this thing - you may need to think about getting hospital care if this goes on much longer, especially if pneumonia sets in.

We definitely keep that in mind, but we haven't been sick enough to warrant hospital care. The rule is that you only get treated if you have a fever, and we've both not had one. We'll just have to stick it out, unless indeed pneunomia might occur.

Back
Top Bottom