How is the corona virus affecting you?

40,000 health workers recalled to work in ozzy. Retired doctors recalled here as well. We were a month too slow to lock down. Murica were the same IMHO.

Russ

40,000 health workers recalled to work in ozzy. Retired doctors recalled here as well. We were a month too slow to lock down. Murica were the same IMHO.

Russ
We're always late to the game, then scramble like crazy to make up for lost time.

San Francisco, which I think was the first area here to mandate shelter-in-place, is starting to report declines in new cases. I'm glad I live in OH, because our governor took this seriously and instituted what at the time was considered overkill measures, and while our cases are still rising, it's at a fairly slow pace, comparatively (for the time-being, anyway).

I wouldn't want to be in Florida. They've dragged their feet the whole, left beaches open, probably have the country's most at-risk population, and just now finally got around to ordering shelter-in-place.

We're always late to the game, then scramble like crazy to make up for lost time.

San Francisco, which I think was the first area here to mandate shelter-in-place, is starting to report declines in new cases. I'm glad I live in OH, because our governor took this seriously and instituted what at the time was considered overkill measures, and while our cases are still rising, it's at a fairly slow pace, comparatively (for the time-being, anyway).

I wouldn't want to be in Florida. They've dragged their feet the whole, left beaches open, probably have the country's most at-risk population, and just now finally got around to ordering shelter-in-place.

Our government is a coalition of fruit cakes, a party that sat on the benches for nine years, then grab power at any cost. They have no idea, it will cost our country lives because they were too slow to react. Taiwan and Singapore shut borders in January. We should have followed suit. A week ago our borders were wide open, no checks or tests. Crazy.

Russ

Why not NEW York? They are worse off than Florida.

Some counties/cities closed their beaches and party spots early on. The governor left it up to the locals to decide, until he finally made the choice for some. Most of the "spring break" destinations closed the beaches early on. Unfortunately, there have been quite a few incidents where the orders were ignored. As well, early on, bars and nightclubs had their hours severely reduced, basically closing them, then just 2-3 days later did close them.

You have to realize most of the damage was done early on before they even had a chance to react. The first confirmed cases in Broward county/Fort Lauderdale were workers from Port Everglades, a HUGE shipping and cruiseline port. Plus we have a large international airport. Same thing with Dade county/Miami. 98% of the first confirmed cases were confirmed to be international travel related, either travelers themselves or workers exposed to travelers.

I hate to say this, but the hospitals I work for in the middle of the country have gone from 1or 2 patients suspected or confirmed in a 2-3 day period from when this first started to 80% to 85% in the last couple of days of the reports I have handled. Don't get complacent or on a high horse just because your area doesn't have a lot of cases YET. When a 47 year old man who is fairly healthy gets put on a ventilator because he can't keep his oxygen saturation up even with massive amounts of oxygen being given, I'm frankly terrified.

Last edited:
Why not NEW York? They are worse off than Florida.
I would not want to be in NY, either, but my comment singling out Florida was based more on the state government there (specifically, DeSantis) being slow to react. NY at least has a governor trying to contain it. Florida, meaning DeSantis - way too slow to react.

Don't get complacent or on a high horse just because your area doesn't have a lot of cases YET.
I'm absolutely not complacent or on a high horse. I just spent the better part of an hour disinfecting tonight's grocery purchases. :laugh:

I know the worst is coming for Ohio. Why? Because our state government tells me so every day at 2PM, with detailed briefings on where we are and where we're going. But because we had sensible leadership at the state level, we didn't take a complacent attitude (well, at least the ones who followed the directives - my county fails the social-distancing-by-phone-tracking test :laugh:, and as such, we're seeing a slower climb (while still climbing) diagnosis and death rate. That's buying time to get tests and supplies in and field hospitals built. We're still being told to brace for days of thousands of new cases daily. No complacency here.

I'm from a suburb of Vancouver, BC. Our lockdowns started early. The first covid-19 cases in North American started late Feb. in nearby Kirkland, Washington, and many of us here in Vancouver are cross-border shoppers, getting cheaper gas, groceries, etc. in Washington state. Since then, the Canada-US border has been closed to non-essential travel. We now stay home.

Restaurants (except for take-out), non-essential businesses were shut down in early March, and schools closed soon after. Universities did only online courses, and K-12 schools have also suspended classes. Kids stay home.

Groceries -- There's a normal supply of groceries - though toilet paper still flies off the shelves - and the numbers of popular items are limited to 2 per shopper. We have strict rules about 'social distance', meaning everyone stays at least 2m (6 feet) apart. Grocery stores have sanitizers at the front door, tapes or stickers on the floor that show correct distances for cashier lineups, and most have plexiglass screens for the cashiers. Debit/credit is recommended. No resusable bags are allowed in the stores. People are very respectful of keeping their distance.

Gatherings of over 50 people or where people would be closer than 2m apart have been shut down, and that means hiking trails, playgrounds, beaches and parks have been closed. There's talk of substantial fines for people who break these rules.

The health dept. has set up testing locations, which keeps infected people away from the hospitals.

In my province of BC (total pop of 5 million), there have been 1,066 cases, and 26 deaths. 44K tests have been done. The cases appear to be slowing down, but it's not over yet.

It is quite boring sitting around the house, especially during this nice weather. But, we're all ok. I'm doing a lot of cooking these days.

Not sure this is absolutely proven yet but whatever the case, its best to be safe. Viruses mutate all the time, it seems:

Slow mutation of coronavirus suggests vaccine could offer ‘immunity for a long time’, says scientist

Yup unfortunately. I am staying inside and self isolating even when I am recovered because of this. With my health conditions and the fact that I have lung damage from the embolisms I just can't risk getting this virus. It's going to be a pretty isolated year for me.

Given that our Government is run by (unelected) spin doctors, we probably shouldn't be surprised that its policy response to covid 19 amounts largely to hot air. Grand announcements of billions in aid to businesses, help for the self employed, ramping up of testing, supporting frontline staff etc. - all empty words. Thousands of businesses are not expected to survive, frontline workers lack basic PPE, and we are still letting in flights from highly affected areas (Spain, Italy, Iran) with zero testing or quarantine. A quarter of our health workers are out of action, not knowing whether or not they are infected due to lack of testing. Even the usually blindly loyal Tory press are now turning on the Government. Unprecedented times, indeed.

It is quite boring sitting around the house, especially during this nice weather. But, we're all ok. I'm doing a lot of cooking these days.

Glad to here you are OK. Your restrictions in Canada are very similar to the UK - except that all gatherings are forbidden. And the police here now have powers to fine offenders.

One benefit of being stuck at home is there is more time to cook - we look forward to seeing (or hearing) what you have been cooking.

This thread, understandably, has looked at things from a largely western perspective. I fear that the worst outcome will be in the poorest parts of the world. How, for example, does one manage a lockdown in a large African city like Accra, Addis, Lagos or Nairobi? Many people have no permanent job and make a day-to-day living selling things on the street. How will they survive? Places like these also have very limited healthcare facilities as it is. It's a near certainty that many countries will cut aid to developing countries and it will be even more difficult for NGOs to operate.

Even in the rich west, the poorest will suffer most - the homeless, the dispossessed, asylum seekers, refugees. In some ways, the story never changes - those at the bottom get the worst.

This thread, understandably, has looked at things from a largely western perspective. I fear that the worst outcome will be in the poorest parts of the world. How, for example, does one manage a lockdown in a large African city like Accra, Addis, Lagos or Nairobi? Many people have no permanent job and make a day-to-day living selling things on the street. How will they survive? Places like these also have very limited healthcare facilities as it is. It's a near certainty that many countries will cut aid to developing countries and it will be even more difficult for NGOs to operate.

Even in the rich west, the poorest will suffer most - the homeless, the dispossessed, asylum seekers, refugees. In some ways, the story never changes - those at the bottom get the worst.
Is sad but true, many more die there.
Sarana x

Ciao a tutti,
I hope all OK and those sick become well soon.
Concerned, pharmacy man bring my medication, I check what is inside bag and I see no Methylprednisolone. I ask where is and he say they have difficult time getting. I have enough for four day. He say they try get some for me soon as possible, I hope they get as it part off pain control. Hands shake today. Feel nauseous when get up but OK now.
Oh well I have still 1 litre Grappa if get bad I drink it I will still have pain but I have smile on face :D . Will spend afternoon make pasta to dry, then do some job in green house. Make dinner then long bath. Ray at yard today he check all timber. He stop at shops to get few things.
Short time left and I should be OK go out for short walk in park.

Wish all stay safe an well.

Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom