How is the corona virus affecting you?

Concerned, pharmacy man bring my medication, I check what is inside bag and I see no Methylprednisolone. I ask where is and he say they have difficult time getting. I have enough for four day. He say they try get some for me soon as possible,

Hope you get it soon. I'm a little concerned about my medications which are on repeat prescriptions. I have enough for about 4 weeks at the moment.

Kroger was a little busier than last week, but still not that busy. I got almost everything on my list, but had to make some substitutes.

I did notice flour is now gone, but they had toilet paper. Also, the flu meds were fully stocked, something I'd expect to be out. Pasta still very slim. I'm making macaroni salad today with rotini instead of elbow macaroni. Rotini salad, I suppose.

One thing I don't like - having a week's worth of groceries, I can't go through the self-checkout, so all my groceries were handled and bagged by employees, all well under the 6ft rule. Can't be helped, really, if you're shopping in the store.

After watching the news last night, we're following the guidelines about groceries in the home - leave non-perishables out in the garage for two days, disinfect perishable containers, and wash all fresh produce throughly, even things like bananas. What a time-consuming pain in the butt, but now all my produce is ready to use, at least.

As far as meds...when all this started, my wife's docs were on top of it. They all called in three-month supplies for her, and one happens to be hydrocholoquine (however it's spelled), and she's happened to have refilled that on its own in February, so she's got something like five-and-a-half months of that, and similarly with her other meds.

After watching the news last night, we're following the guidelines about groceries in the home - leave non-perishables out in the garage for two days, disinfect perishable containers, and wash all fresh produce throughly, even things like bananas. What a time-consuming pain in the butt, but now all my produce is ready to use, at least.

We aren't being advised to do that here as yet.

40,000 health workers recalled to work in ozzy. Retired doctors recalled here as well. We were a month too slow to lock down. Murica were the same IMHO.
Russ
Political grandstanding, overinflated egos and as CD said an earlier post politicians who listened to their advisers only when they are in agreement. Not so smart to close the barn door after the horses have escaped.
This thread, understandably, has looked at things from a largely western perspective. I fear that the worst outcome will be in the poorest parts of the world. How, for example, does one manage a lockdown in a large African city like Accra, Addis, Lagos or Nairobi? Many people have no permanent job and make a day-to-day living selling things on the street. How will they survive? Places like these also have very limited healthcare facilities as it is. It's a near certainty that many countries will cut aid to developing countries and it will be even more difficult for NGOs to operate.

Even in the rich west, the poorest will suffer most - the homeless, the dispossessed, asylum seekers, refugees. In some ways, the story never changes - those at the bottom get the worst.
Very true
Baby sister and BIL spent 3 weeks touring the southern countries of Africa last August
The poverty was appalling. At a roadside market Sis was admiring a beautifully carved iron wood mortar and pestle . The artist offered to give it to her in exchange for her socks! Sis and BIL both gave him their socks and paid for it
The tour group pooled money to purchase basic groceries for the villagers
I wish I had the pictures of the only store in the area . The shelves looked like ours do now - actually worse. No fresh food and an extremely limited supply of canned and bagged food. This was NORMAL!
Before leaving Sis, BIL and others in the tour group donated their non prescription medications, socks, tshirts, Scarves, hats, underwear (washed) and even spare pairs of shoes .
I can not begin to imagine what is happening in those villages with this Covid19 outbreak.
Take a moment to be grateful

One benefit of being stuck at home is there is more time to cook - we look forward to seeing (or hearing) what you have been cooking.
Yes, there's plenty of time to cook, and I have a pantry full of legumes, grains, home-canned tomatoes and a full freezer. When this started, I saw that all the store shelves were emptied of flour, and I wondered why? If people don't have flour at home, would they even know how to make bread? or pasta?

I've been making bread (I was trying gluten-free bread for my husband, but have been totally unsuccessful lol), soups, and using up meat. II often buy whole centre cut pork loins which I cut into roasts, and use the bits iin pork and chili stews, usually with beans, but tonight, I plan a variation on Fushia Dunlop's Sweet & Sour pork (from last week's Guardian).

Yes, I see that all gatherings have been banned in the UK, and they'e been cancelled here, too. Metro Vancouver bylaw inspectors are out in the parks and beaches making sure people abide by social distancing, but I think only businesses have received fines, However, all court operations are suspended, so fines don't seem to matter much at the moment.

Last edited:
Wilbur.jpg

I can't remember if I shared this already. The timing of this - horrible as the circumstances are - has allowed more time to spend with our new puppy, Wilbur. He's a pug, and he's adorable...when he's not biting or messing with the other pets in the house. He's getting close to being housebroken. Maybe.

When this started, I saw that all the store shelves were emptied of flour, and I wondered why? If people don't have flour at home, would they even know how to make bread? or pasta?

I know! I don't understand it. Pasta I can understand. It keeps forever, is easy to cook, goes with all kinds of things and kids love it.

I've been making bread (I was trying gluten-free bread for my husband, but have been totally unsuccessful lol)

You can join the club. I tried a few times (not through necessity, but curiosity) and gave up. Herbie's husband is also gluten free for medical reasons and has had very little success. Flatbreads made of chickpea flour work, though.

View attachment 39267

I can't remember if I shared this already. The timing of this - horrible as the circumstances are - has allowed more time to spend with our new puppy, Wilbur. He's a pug, and he's adorable...when he's not biting or messing with the other pets in the house. He's getting close to being housebroken. Maybe.

How adorable! Pug babies are so cute. Good luck with the potty training. Both of my little boys were very difficult about that. Had our first nail cutting yet?

View attachment 39267

Cute puppy, daughters dog been here 4 months, follows me everywhere. He's a nice dog. Havnt had a pet here for 20 years.

Russ

Russ

How adorable! Pug babies are so cute. Good luck with the potty training. Both of my little boys were very difficult about that. Had our first nail cutting yet?

My daughters dog is the worst, she got him down and he panics when he sees the cutters, didn't help she cut a bit much off. He's been hanging out with me since then. She used to take him to,the vet to cut them, but when he realised where he was he used to pee on the floor. He needs running on concrete.

Russ

Ciao a tutti,
I hope every very one OK and if sick I hope get better quick.
Today I so proud of Ray. Because of business we have mini bus so get staff to an from site, we also have large Mercedes van an two lorry. Ray call council an say they use van an lorry to help deliver things we pay fuel. Ray also say he pick up NHS people an take work an back he can take 10 in mini bus. Ray OK as he no get or pass on any more. Is our little way say thank you get Ray well.
I hope Monday I get do something to help even if only sterilise mini bus I need do some thing. If I cold be test and I OK I would volunteer to cook some place but Ray say we no sure if I safe!

Stay safe stay well.

Sarana x

50 lbs sacks of flour available. No rice and no TP anyplace. If we run out of hand sanitizer it'll be home brew of 80% alcohol and 20% aloe.

County welfare entitlements reset and disburse at the first of each month so the stores will be extra busy for the first week.
KFC running a $20 family deal,, the kids like it. They'll be grazing on that for the next 3 days.

Also a local steakhouse running a $20 family deal as well. I gave a friend some auto parts not expecting anything in return but he and his wife gave us a $200 gift card for that steak house. Take out only so it's a hit and run, duck in - duck out kinda dealio. Got the bacon wrapped shrimp and deep fried shrimp deal. Included salad and garlic bread and crab stuffed mushrooms. Not bad for $20!

So far wifes hospital not hit bad at all. So far.

Back
Top Bottom