How is the corona virus affecting you?

My husband has now been symptom free for three days, mine are getting less noticable as well. We have talked to our doctor and provided that I will be symptom free by then my stepsons will come back here on easter sunday or monday.

Then because they stayed with their mom for four weeks, they will stay with us for four weeks. After that we'll enter a two weekly rotation on sunday because that is the least risky for me in terms of staying healthy.

I'm glad for them to come back, it's never good for any of us when the schedule gets disrupted.
Glad to hear you are both getting better.

I took a trip to the Co-op at eight o'clock this morning. The positive aspect of going at this sort of time is that there is hardly anyone around. On the down side, it means they haven't had time to stock up, so it's a bit of pot luck as to what you're going to find (mind you, it's a bit like that, anyway).

I did get one surprise. There was ginger on the shelves. And yes, it came from China.

In the UK we have all been doing a Thursday night National 'stand outside our houses' and clap the National Health Service workers and all the other key workers in supermarkets, food delivery, the police etc. who are keepi ng things going.
Here in the Vancouver area, we bang pots and car horns every day at 7 pm, which is the time most medical and first-responders change shifts. There's a cannon in Vancouver's Stanley Park which was set to go off at 9 pm every night, but that's also been changed to fire at 7 pm for all those essential workers. (the cannon can be heard for miles around).
We're reminded of those workers every day, and yes, it's an emotional time.

We’ve had a stay at home orders here For about two weeks, but every day I find myself going out.
Oh my! Sounds like pugs are not the best choice of dog unless you know what you are doing. Good luck The Late Night Gourmet ! :D
Each animal has a different personality. As it turns out, both black pugs we had were little lunatics when they were babies. Pepper - who's going to be 4 - is the best dog we ever had. His high-energy antics faded as he got older. He was potty trained more quickly than any other dog we've ever had, too. This one is going to be more of a challenge, but I'm sure he's going to be a great dog, too.

We've had Stay-at-Home orders for the last 2 weeks, but I keep finding myself having to go out every day for something or other. My family has gotten spoiled with me picking up things on the way home from work, and they haven't adjusted. I say "I'm going to the grocery store; does anyone need anything?" I might get a thing or two that we need, but they usually wait until something is completely gone before telling me. Coffee creamer is an example: I drink my coffee black, so I never use it. I happened to hear my daughter talking about running out of it (to her grandma), so I got some when I got everything else.

Today, I'm on strike. I am refusing to go out for anything other than walking the dog. We need chicken wire so we can cover the small openings in the fence, so our puppy doesn't run away. That can wait until tomorrow.

I bought some powdered milk for the first time since I worked in Eritrea. That was 1995 to 1997. We're still buying a big carton of fresh milk a week, but it might well come in handy.

I'm a bit of a milk snob. I drink organic milk, because it tastes better -- a lot better, IMO. Stores were sold out on organic milk for weeks, but now I am finding it. I think people are buying it because the shelf life is about 3 times or more longer than regular milk.

CD

Here in the Vancouver area, we bang pots and car horns every day at 7 pm, which is the time most medical and first-responders change shifts. There's a cannon in Vancouver's Stanley Park which was set to go off at 9 pm every night, but that's also been changed to fire at 7 pm for all those essential workers. (the cannon can be heard for miles around).
We're reminded of those workers every day, and yes, it's an emotional time.

I've visited Vancouver, I loved the joint. I got lost on a street near gas town. An eye opener !!

Russ

I got lost on a street near gas town. An eye opener !!
lol a bit like the Walking Dead, isn't it? However - there are lots of police and social workers in the area, and it's much safer than it appears.
In spite of the area's lack of social distancing, they haven't yet had a known covid case. The city is being pro-active in bringing in portable wash facilities, commercial cleaners, and food delivery. Non-residents pretty much avoid the area.

lol a bit like the Walking Dead, isn't it? However - there are lots of police and social workers in the area, and it's much safer than it appears.
In spite of the area's lack of social distancing, they haven't yet had a known covid case. The city is being pro-active in bringing in portable wash facilities, commercial cleaners, and food delivery. Non-residents pretty much avoid the area.

That was about 20 years ago, I need to go back. Lol. :)

Russ

We've had Stay-at-Home orders for the last 2 weeks, but I keep finding myself having to go out every day for something or other. My family has gotten spoiled with me picking up things on the way home from work, and they haven't adjusted.

Advice here is to limit shopping trips to once a week where possible, which is sensible. The more frequently people go shopping the more the virus will spread. I've got an Aldi at the end of my road and was used to popping along there if I 'needed' something for a recipe I was developing/photographing - fresh parsley, for example, to garnish. Also for day to day stuff that runs out - milk, for example. Now I'm simply not doing it - I go without and wait until I have a sensible amount to buy at once. At the moment I have no milk or any milk substitute, so I'm drinking black tea rather than going out to get just one thing. I'm literally worried every time I go in a supermarket, even though 'distancing' and sanitising measures are in place.

Advice here is to limit shopping trips to once a week where possible, which is sensible. The more frequently people go shopping the more the virus will spread. I've got an Aldi at the end of my road and was used to popping along there if I 'needed' something for a recipe I was developing/photographing - fresh parsley, for example, to garnish. Also for day to day stuff that runs out - milk, for example. Now I'm simply not doing it - I go without and wait until I have a sensible amount to buy at once. At the moment I have no milk or any milk substitute, so I'm drinking black tea rather than going out to get just one thing. I'm literally worried every time I go in a supermarket, even though 'distancing' and sanitising measures are in place.

Same. We just order our groceries now, and make do with what we have. No popping to the shops for this that or the other for us either, and it will stay like that even when we're out of quarantine.

Sounds eminently sensible to me!

We've not been to any shop at all for over 2 weeks. Like you we used to pop around to the small Sainsburys around the corner if we "needed" something but we've just been either doing without or adjusting instead. We're fortunate that until last week we were able to get Ocado deliveries, will see how it goes with booking one this week (they have a new system) but if we don't manage to get a slot then one of us is going to have to take a trip. We also need to go to Costco at some point over the next week or so - we've been avoiding it since this all started but I've heard that its calmed down a lot now so we'll try to pick a quiet time.

We're fortunate that until last week we were able to get Ocado deliveries, will see how it goes with booking one this week (they have a new system)

I've had no luck getting an Ocado delivery since my last one which I had to queue for (4 hours wait on-line!) and which omitted to deliver the wine I ordered. I have managed to get two Morrison deliveries - one this week and one on the 24th (I'm a pass holder which probably helps).

Back
Top Bottom