How is the corona virus affecting you?

Talk of opening border to Australia. In a month? This would be brilliant for both countries, think ozzy is 80 deaths and us 21? For some reason we both countries have missed the worst. Lots of friends have their plans cancelled for however long? Mainly family overseas. My good friend hasn't seen his first grandchild yet, she's in London with her husband.

Russ
I read that Fiji would like to join an apparent " South Pacific Bubble" with NZ, Aus and other small nations that have kept the virus at bay. This sounds very fair to me if true, it gets tourism and the economies going again whist maintaining a low risk. Good luck to you, I hope it works.

What is the normal flu season for AUS and NZ? Is it winter, like it is up here? If so, don't let your guard down based on past results. This virus does't need much of a toehold to survive and proliferate.

CD

This is the key, what are the papers holding back. It was revealed by Sky tonight that the guy who saw him at Barnard Castle wrote down the number plate because it is a personalised one, and guess who it turns out it belonged to. ANPR records and perhaps normal phone photos which happened to catch him in the background might come out, here's hoping.

Yeah - I doubt the fact someone wrote down a license plate number from memory is enough evidence on its own. Pity he didn't snap it on a smartphone - funny thing (off topic really) is that the news reports took pains to mention he was a retired chemistry teacher as if that somehow validates his report.

I've been off work for a week, and I seem to be in the minority these days in that I refuse to check email or do anything remotely work-related during my time off (much to the displeasure of my manager).

Imagine my delight when I logged in this morning (yes, it's a holiday, but my on-call week starts today, and there are a few manual tasks that have to be done each Monday, regardless), and found a communique from our CEO, stating that the planned "return to work" date, scheduled for June 7th, has been scraped indefinitely.

While I'm happy at the outset, I have a feeling this is going to somehow end up worse. It's just the way the Universe works. Yes, I'm a cynic. 🤨

George is still working from home. That translates to a few phone calls, emails and text messages each week. The majority of his clients are in Houston. Until they are back in their offices there is no reason to travel. The hotel where he usually stays is still closed. The word is they will open next week. He did go to the fishing camp over the weekend. I opted out. I knew there would be a lot of commotion. Step Son has been there close to three months. DIL and GD went for the weekend with 3 of GD's friends. So 4 teenage girls. I had 3 1/2 days of QUIET! The TV was on for only a couple of hours each day.

I can only hope your job is safe. I'm not sure anyone's job is safe right now. :(
Well, I wasn't going in that direction...until now...

Just kidding. :). Inasmuch as anything is secure, I feel ok right now. Having been through two downsizings in the last 16 years, though, I know the reaper can come without warning. 💀

As it's a nice sunny day and my eyes feel a little tired, I think I'll take a thirty mile jaunt to test them out.

:roflmao: Yeah - I can't get over how he can seriously have sat there and invented such a preposterous story. That's an hour's round trip in the car on what just happened to be his wife's birthday. And they got out the car and sat by a river for 15 minutes. At that time we weren't allowed to sit anywhere in public as far as I know.

In case anyone from outside the UK wonders, we are talking about the 'Cummings' and goings during lockdown of Dominic Cummings, chief advisor to the Prime Minister.

A good friend of mine is a retired Metropolitan police detective. She has spent her entire career examining witness statements and picking them apart. She has declared Cummings' statement yesterday as utter rubbish. Too much unnecessary detail, too many un-provable facts and an attempt to provide an excuse for every single issue that has been raised in one go. Add on the attempt to twist the events to show that he is the real victim and she sees nothing but manipulation and smoke screen.

What impressed me most was the attempt to blame it all on the press. "The evil media made up a load of stories which just happened to be true." Er, yeah. And why has Downing Street spent six to seven weeks "declining to comment" on any of these things as they were coming out?

As a senior medical person put it yesterday, "This isn't about left and right. It's about right and wrong."

Even the execrable Daily Mail is putting the boot in now. That says it all.

Back
Top Bottom