How is the corona virus affecting you?

What impressed me most was the attempt to blame it all on the press. "The evil media made up a load of stories which just happened to be true." Er, yeah. And why has Downing Street spent six to seven weeks "declining to comment" on any of these things as they were coming out?

As a senior medical person put it yesterday, "This isn't about left and right. It's about right and wrong."

Even the execrable Daily Mail is putting the boot in now. That says it all.
That is one thing I noted, the Mail are against him, and even the Express is unsure which side it should be on.

I guess the next milestone to look out for is PMQs tomorrow, either he he has to have stepped down by then or Boris has to endure a pounding from all sides and stake his entire position as PM on defending Cummings.

Ah, one of life's true dilemmas. You are not sure are fit to drive home, so do you:

A: Ask your wife to drive.

or

B: Say to wife "Not sure if I'm up to this, so I've decided to take a trial run. About thirty miles should do it, to this big castle place I know. Unfortunately it's at absolutely stunning beauty spot, which is a shame really, it being your birthday today. I want you and the kid come along, so at least if I crash the car we'll all be in it together. At least our dying thought can be that how right I was, not to try for home."

Answer: Well, not "A" obviously. That's a really stupid idea, as any man will tell you.

Well, on the glowing recommendation of my SIL, I placed my first Instacart order and I'm already not impressed - I can't use my shop's loyalty card with them. That means no digital coupons and no fuel points. This will likely be my last order as well.

This Corona crisis is going to be lasting bad news for disabled people here I am afraid.

Public transport is supposed to remain for 'essential transport only' but nobody defines what essential transport is. What they are doing instead is denying people entry in trains and buses if the capacity has reached 40%. The government says this will stay for an indefinite time. So people with invisible disabilities like me run a risk of being left behind on a platform, and as someone who can't stand for long that is a problem as there ar no or barely any seats.
Aside from that, banning cars and buses from entiring cities centers is now being proposed as 'the new normal' because we should all exercise more and leave our cars behind for the environment and health. But as disabled people without public transport, we will need more buses and cars. Or get left behind and unable to leave the house.

So the attitude of the general public seems to have shifted to, if you are at risk you shouldn't participate in society and we will certainly not provide you with the means to do it if you don't have relatives who can bring you everywhere. They don't even think about the effects these measures have on the disabled. This is pure ableism and really concerning for me, I already had limited mobility but now it's getting worse for an indefinite time.

This Corona crisis is going to be lasting bad news for disabled people here I am afraid.

Public transport is supposed to remain for 'essential transport only' but nobody defines what essential transport is. What they are doing instead is denying people entry in trains and buses if the capacity has reached 40%. The government says this will stay for an indefinite time. So people with invisible disabilities like me run a risk of being left behind on a platform, and as someone who can't stand for long that is a problem as there ar no or barely any seats.
Aside from that, banning cars and buses from entiring cities centers is now being proposed as 'the new normal' because we should all exercise more and leave our cars behind for the environment and health. But as disabled people without public transport, we will need more buses and cars. Or get left behind and unable to leave the house.

So the attitude of the general public seems to have shifted to, if you are at risk you shouldn't participate in society and we will certainly not provide you with the means to do it if you don't have relatives who can bring you everywhere. They don't even think about the effects these measures have on the disabled. This is pure ableism and really concerning for me, I already had limited mobility but now it's getting worse for an indefinite time.
I don't think public officials ever consider that point of view when creating these ad hoc policies. It absolutely favors the majority at the expense of the minority.

Hopefully, they'll make some kind of provision for you and folks in a similar situation, a card or something that gives you some kind of priority for public transport.

I don't think public officials ever consider that point of view when creating these ad hoc policies. It absolutely favors the majority at the expense of the minority.

Hopefully, they'll make some kind of provision for you and folks in a similar situation, a card or something that gives you some kind of priority for public transport.

That's what I was thinking of, I'm considering starting a petition for it. Because this is really unworkable for people like me.

Well I might or might not have it, unsure. I have some flu symptoms currently (achey muscles, feeling meh in general, hot/cold flashes, and a persistent headache) but no fever or serious coughing/sneezing so it might be something else than corona. However, our government doesn't test anyone unless they are being hospitalized, so it's a guessing game for me.

Those who are unsure like me are requested to stay at home until further notice, which is what I am doing and so is my husband. We've prepped for years for events like this, so we did not have to panic buy loo roll or other things people are suddenly going crazy about. We're good with what we have for at least a month, though we'll run out of butter, yoghurt and eggs pretty fast. But those are not essentials to live on, we have oil and enough other ways to bake things. Besides, the food supply is OK even in Italy so we should not have to worry about this anyway. But if push comes to shove, we can deal with it.

Major problem looming for us that our stepsons will likely be quarantined with us, and our eldest has OCD + severe autism+ ADHD which is a very unfortunate combination for a lockdown, he normally already eats all our energy and we hope and pray that he doesn't get psychotic during lockdown. The younger stepson also has autism and adhd and intermediate explosive disorder, so you can see what will happen if these two are locked up together for a while. We're not looking forward to that, to say the least. I hope things don't escalate while emergency services are down like they are in Spain currently.

So, when it comes to feeding and taking care of ourselves we'll be fine. I have chronic conditions but not any that put me in a high risk group with corona, and I am also pretty young at 32 so I'll probably be OK even if I do get it. But when it comes to the mental toll that all this might take, I'm not so sure. Hoping for the best.
That is what my friend as well as my wife feel like. Your symptoms mirror both of theirs. He is positive. She got tested yesterday. I tested positive 5 days ago. I got out of bed and walked to the bathroom and was short of breath. I suffer from asthma so I attributed it to that. Took my treatment and saw no change. Could not get over the shortness of breath. Got tested and I’m positive. Five days later I still get winded but nothing like I was. Before I got tested I went to my doctor and he found spots of inflammation on my lungs. Gave me a couple prescriptions and sent me to get tested. I’ve certainly felt worse. Thing is my wife and I are religious about wearing our masks in public. Our daughter wanted to come visit with her family and something just told me talk her out of it. They would have got here the day before it hit me. So glad they didn’t come.

Good friends called in last night, Cheryl wanted to talk to my wife, she's stressed out, her mum is living with them since corona and decided she doesn't want to go home again. They are in process of buying her a unit in a retirement village. Cheryl also had her hours halved due to freight. She's a freight forwarder.
She was crying and wife comforted her, Wayne and I were in the lounge and talking bloke stuff.
we are pretty much all good here but last night bought it on home how some people aren't handling this virus Crapola . We'll get them over for a meal some time soon. Just the four of us.
Stay calm folks!!

Russ

Good friends called in last night, Cheryl wanted to talk to my wife, she's stressed out, her mum is living with them since corona and decided she doesn't want to go home again. They are in process of buying her a unit in a retirement village. Cheryl also had her hours halved due to freight. She's a freight forwarder.
She was crying and wife comforted her, Wayne and I were in the lounge and talking bloke stuff.
we are pretty much all good here but last night bought it on home how some people aren't handling this virus Crapola . We'll get them over for a meal some time soon. Just the four of us.
Stay calm folks!!

Russ
I really feel bad for the economic burden some people have been stuck with. Our country is so strongly divided but I wish our leaders in politics and in business follow this advice. Always error on the side of caution when your making decisions affecting people’s lives.

That is what my friend as well as my wife feel like. Your symptoms mirror both of theirs. He is positive. She got tested yesterday. I tested positive 5 days ago. I got out of bed and walked to the bathroom and was short of breath. I suffer from asthma so I attributed it to that. Took my treatment and saw no change. Could not get over the shortness of breath. Got tested and I’m positive. Five days later I still get winded but nothing like I was. Before I got tested I went to my doctor and he found spots of inflammation on my lungs. Gave me a couple prescriptions and sent me to get tested. I’ve certainly felt worse. Thing is my wife and I are religious about wearing our masks in public. Our daughter wanted to come visit with her family and something just told me talk her out of it. They would have got here the day before it hit me. So glad they didn’t come.

Hope you both make a full recovery. Apparently it can leave you feeling very tired even after it passes.

We have several friends that are airline flight attendants and pilots that are on furlough.
Airline is paying them 80 hours a month for the duration of the 'rona virus. Sitting at home everyone is getting cabin fever and climbing the walls.
We all headed to a place called Duck Creek in Utah USA and camped for a week and did some motorized trail riding.

This is a massive lava flow and the pictures don't reveal how massive and breathtaking it is. Your head swims when you view it in person.
r5t8dd0.jpg

Doggles an absolute must:
gdm23bT.jpg

The proper name is a "refrigerated natural shaft" but known to all as the "Ice Cave." We all spelunked down it. And yes, walls and ceiling and floors of ice.

5EymwAO.jpg

Strawberry Point:
Pictures just don't represent it well:
wzUFYPN.jpg

Side by Sides/UTV's are all the rage now. Many rental places in the off road recreation areas you can get one for the day. With trails clearly marked and trail guide map, and your cell phone - Google Maps as back up it's a fun time. They are on sale now and we bought this four seat model at a huge discount.
K2pKAh3.jpg

For cooking one family was set on feeding everyone each nite from their Dutch Oven. It was excellent. They even baked a Birthday cake and found success at 10.900 feet elevation.
In the thin air I just don't have the ambition to snap a lot of pix.

On one really fun trail Farmer Pelican stopped us and claimed we were on his land. We called the Forest Ranger office and they told us we were not on his land and feel free to proceed.
Farmer Pelican had an enormous nose, a beek rather and no doubt he weathervanes into the wind. Rather violently and "locked in irons" on stormy days I'd wager.
Rangers knew immediately who we were encountering by the description. Rangers asked us to leave the gates on that stretch open.

Well, due to the virus, I made my first-ever Instacart grocery order, and I must say, while not perfect, I was impressed overall.

Pros: ease of assembling a grocery order via the app; ability to follow shopper making selections in real-time, including being able to sub things in and out; ability to live chat with shopper while they're shopping

Cons: pricy service fees; shopper's ability to judge produce is around zero

All in all, I'd do it again, but I don't think I'd make a habit of it, if for no other reason...I love grocery shopping. As a matter of fact, this is probably the only customer-facing job I could ever see myself doing.

One other thing to add: I griped about not being able to load my Kroger loyalty card in their app, so I would miss out on digital coupons and fuel points, and in-store deals, like BOGO chuck roasts. That would have been enough to keep me from ever using Instacart again.

When I got the notice that my shopper was beginning to start my order, I texted him and asked about the loyalty card, and he told me to just shoot him the card number via a text, and he'd punch it in manually at checkout. Sweet! Got my fuel points!

Ther really are some utter boneheads on this planet. My friend, who is an historian, got abused by a bunch of idiots. The gist of the message was, "You're a doctor, why aren't you at work saving lives."

My friend responded, "I very much doubt that having a history doctorate is going to save anyone's life."

She then got abused for being a cowardly scumbag from one wing of the imbeciles and an impostor from another.

And she doesn't even use social media.

Back
Top Bottom